Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Braid to mono knot failure

41 posts in this topic

View PostSeems like "blowing up" when it occurs but, its more like the mono being cut by the braid at the splice.

Nope, what I'm talking about is the braid, not the mono. I've done some testing on the strength of different fishing knots. More than once, after failure I've noticed that the mono is in one piece, but the braid is busted in two pieces, at the loction of the knot, with the ends frayed. Like I said, it's almost unbelievable. I should have taken pics.

Are you tying a albright or an alberto? What's left of the knot?

I used to use albrights (25-30 turns)

But after having it fail on me once i started using an alberto.

Never had one fail to date 7up 7down. and its done.

But check out the doubled uni to uni ,Slim beauty or Improved bristol (which is a helluva knot need an end loop thogh.)

Its a good night, my thoughts are there is an issue with how it was snugged down perhaps. As far as using glue goes, I'd avoid it like the plague. Shouldn't be a need for it. imho glue is a crutch for a poorly tied knot. Sooner or later that will fail as well.

I love the alberto knot. I tie it with any size braid to any size mono. The knot is so small I pass an 80lb leader to 65 lb PP through 10 or 11 number 10 guides guides on my surf rods hundreds of times a night with no problems providing you tie it perfect from the start when i first began using it i did make a few mistakes were it slipped. Once I learned it well( alberto showed me the rite way to tie it) i have had no problems since I will always use it, its 6 turns up and 6 turns back make sure the return loops fall in between the up loops it locks itself like a chinese finger trap.Pull tight trim ends super close and your good to go.

View PostAre you tying a albright or an alberto? What's left of the knot?

I used to use albrights (25-30 turns)

But after having it fail on me once i started using an alberto.

Never had one fail to date 7up 7down. and its done.

But check out the doubled uni to uni ,Slim beauty or Improved bristol (which is a helluva knot need an end loop thogh.)

I use an Alberto, with 6up 6down. The uni to uni seemed bulky. Don't know if the slim beauty would be too, looks like a strong knot though.

View PostIts a good night, my thoughts are there is an issue with how it was snugged down perhaps. As far as using glue goes, I'd avoid it like the plague. Shouldn't be a need for it. imho glue is a crutch for a poorly tied knot. Sooner or later that will fail as well.

There weren't any overlaps and the tie was snugged down nicely. My thoughts of using glue were to smoothen out the transition from the knot to the mono and braid.

View PostSome folks say that wetting your sythetic line will cause knot failure also, I agree. PowerPro says nothing about wetting the line when doing the uni to uni splice knot. highfive.gif

Tight lineshooked.gif ,

Victor

Think this one over cwm13.gif

Have you taken a look at, or tried tying/using the Red Phillips knot?

I used to use an Albright, reverse Albright, and the Crazy Alberto knot in tying my leader to braid running line.

To many wraps for the Albright, and reverse Albright, and you have to lock them and glue em, or they tend to unravel in time, running through the guides.

Crazy alberto is a great knot, but a little tedious to tie in dim (flashlight), at 3AM, when stripers are biting and you have to retie in a hurry. and while only 7 wraps up then down, you need to get them just right, or knot failure can occur, and my eyes aren't what they used to be. Despite how good the knot is, I feel it requires a dab of crazy glue like the Albright and reverse Albright.

Then I found the Red Phillips knot. It's all I use now. Essentially an overhand knot and half of a uni to uni, 5 wraps, no glue needed, and I can literally tie it in the dark, without light. The uni part rests on the overhand knot of the mono, so it's not going to cut it, or blow up, and strong as can be. My go to knot now and easy to tie.

redphillipsknotillus2.jpg

redphillipsknot2.jpg

View Post

Then I found the Red Phillips knot. It's all I use now. Essentially an overhand knot and half of a uni to uni, 5 wraps, no glue needed, and I can literally tie it in the dark, without light. The uni part rests on the overhand knot of the mono, so it's not going to cut it, or blow up, and strong as can be. My go to knot now and easy to tie.

RedPhillipsKnot.jpg

The knot looks like something I tie my mono to mono casting shock line with except for where the mono gets pulled back over itself then uni knotted. My over hand knot just gets trimmed and burnt. This knot looks very good and compact. I will give it a try for my braid to mono splice. Thanks.

View PostThe knot looks like something I tie my mono to mono casting shock line with except for where the mono gets pulled back over itself then uni knotted. My over hand knot just gets trimmed and burnt. This knot looks very good and compact. I will give it a try for my braid to mono splice. Thanks.

I just edited my prior post with a larger and better illustration.

Leave a 1/2 inch tag on the braid. After a few casts it will fray out and act like a pillow, taking a lot of the abuse that occurs when the knot hits a guide on a cast.wink.gif

I use 30lb PP yellow and tie it to 30 LB Maxima Ultra green I use the Sebile knot and have no problems and i throw from 2 0Z to 4 0z.. it is a easy to tie knot and it works and it is skinny..

View PostLeave a 1/2 inch tag on the braid. After a few casts it will fray out and act like a pillow, taking a lot of the abuse that occurs when the knot hits a guide on a cast.wink.gif

Stewie... you still use the overhand to uni? I still do some times... but have started using uni to uni or Alberto.. but still never had the overhand to uni fail.

View PostBraid to mono use the uni to uni knot. Tied properly it does the job and as stated above, no need for glue.

I think the concept is good, and the uni to uni is definitely a proven knot, but you have to rethink it once you start getting larger than 30LB mono or flouro for leader material. I often use 60LB Trilene Big Game as leader material for stripers, often tied to 40 to 50 LB Power Pro braid as my running line.

This pic shows both knots tied with 60Lb. Trilene Big Game and 40Lb red power pro. Upper knot is the Red Phillips tied with a 5 wrap uni, bottom knot is a uni to uni with 5 wraps on the power pro and 5 wraps on the 60 LB mono. I personally would much rather have the upper knot to fish with AND to have running through my guides if need be.

P4060008.jpg

You might try making a double line in the braid using a Surgeons loop or bimini and then use the uni to uni just make sure the braid is even at the knot the 2nd picture; 1st is teaser tied in the leader using a uni also.

O'D