Otter

tavern fishing reports

28,311 posts in this topic

3 mins ago, rocco said:

you will never cast off a plug or get a windknot again once you get used to it.

It's become second nature for my handle to point down before the cast and to pull the line on the bail before reeling.  I don't even notice doing it.

So.... way back when weakfish were around, 200 boats in the reach using sand worms.

The cow nose rays came in thick and they love sand worms. I got one to the boat on a 14# setup!

The funniest thing I ever saw when fishing was that day..... 

An older couple hanging out in a rental skiff, one in the bow the dude in the back. Both hooked up.

The rays are swimming in circles and the skiff is rotating in place. The couple are just sitting there not sure what to do. I almost pissed my pants. I wish I had a video of that.

1 min ago, Reed422 said:

Thing that pissed me off was that I got a windknot.

It's called a Lager now, get with the program.

1 min ago, Reed422 said:

So cast, handle down, get it on the roller? I'll try it again I suppose.

Don't listen to me, I don't use bailless.

Just now, ChumSlickJon said:

Don't listen to me, I don't use bailless.

what you rockin out there?

on my vs, i cast with the handle pointed straight back at me. i guess it would be 3 o'clock if you looked at it like a clock. in this position the spool is fully extended.

A torque 4500.  My daiwa whisker is broken and I'm having trouble fixing it.  I just picked up a slammer III 5500 for wading into waves.

It's the anti reverse spring.  I bought a new one and  It won't stay put.  I almost wonder if it's not compatible with this reel.  The old spring was completely disintegrated so I haven't even got anything to compare it to.

1 hour ago, ChumSlickJon said:

Bailless, what happens when a fish hits right when the lure hits the water and starts taking line before it's on the roller?  

It's pretty fluid, usually within one rotation of the spool the line is picked up. Which means there is enough slack in the line to where that's not a problem. However, if your slow, the fish might take too much line and spit the hook.

I typically only fish bailess, and it seemed odd at first. But now I can't believe I didn't start doing it sooner.