tavern fishing reports

Rate this topic

Otter

12 mins ago, JaseB said:

Agreed, with pause for locality.  I looked at your shelfish harvesting areas, bans, closures, short seasons.  Insane.  I'm not sure I'd ever eat another bivialve from that state. Probably over regulation, but still.

My take away and tell me I'm wrong....

"You can't eat clams from here from 4/1 to 10/1 because 5 million people flush their toilets directly into this bay, but on 10/2 it's safe!

What am I kidding, pass the clam, butter, and disaffectant, aka titos.

4/30-11/1 and I believe it has more to do with water temps and the amount of water exchange with the tides. Yeah there's been problems well upriver but I've yet to have any issues with the clams thanks to dillution and water exchange.

Edited by MitchellNJ

13 mins ago, MitchellNJ said:

4/30-11/1 and I believe it has more to do with water temps and the amount of water exchange with the tides. Yeah there's been problems well upriver but I've yet to have any issues with the clams thanks to dillution and water exchange.

along with temps, i'm thinking maybe lawn fertilizer runoff may be a concern?

i'd also like to think they are protecting the resource to some extent during the part of the year when the most tourons are around to harvest. case in point, its closed to non-residents, even during the limited season. 

thanks again for the loaner basket this weekend. i did leave it with john, in case you were wondering. :th:

6 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

agree...clams are grossly overrated...

Clams suck, like zappa. Osters are far superior. 

The village, which had stood for maybe 1,000 years, didn't know we were coming that day. If they had, they would have run. boB was at the eye of our rage. And through him, our Captain Ahab. He would set things right again. That day, we loved him.

10 mins ago, rocco said:

along with temps, i'm thinking maybe lawn fertilizer runoff may be a concern?

i'd also like to think they are protecting the resource to some extent during the part of the year when the most tourons are around to harvest. case in point, its closed to non-residents, even during the limited season. 

thanks again for the loaner basket this weekend. i did leave it with john, in case you were wondering. :th:

I thought because those months are major boat traffic season.  Shellfish could ingest fuel and make you sick.

Delete from SOL_Users where username like 'wasy','Seal'....

clams, oysters and mussels are all completely different things for me.

apples, oranges and bananas. i can't really compare them anymore than that.

now within those designations, i can rate them. the nave/shrews clams are way better than the barnegat bay summer ones. eastern gitland oysters kick the ass of the virginia farmed ones.

mussels i don't enough to know anymore than which ones need less cleaning. and anymore than once every month or month and a half is too often for me.

1 min ago, ChumSlickJon said:

I thought because those months are major boat traffic season.  Shellfish could ingest fuel and make you sick.

could be, but i would think they'd close barnegat by to clamming during the summer on that account too. :shrug:

Just now, rocco said:

could be, but i would think they'd close barnegat by to clamming during the summer on that account too. :shrug:

They do near the west area of the bay near the marinas.  But the west end of the bay by the wildlife refuge remains open do to no marinas.  

Delete from SOL_Users where username like 'wasy','Seal'....

Just now, hwsmike said:

Shellfish harvests should be done in months that have an R in them.cooler waters do not promote bacteria as much as warmer months. 

ah, s-m-r-t. :read:

that is the conventional wisdom now isn't it.

good clamming with you too this weekend mike. :wave: