Was this the largest Great White ever caught?

Rate this topic

The Mad Deckhand

Fishoholic said:

View Postyes it may be 30'+ and it loves surfcasters and surfers... be warned :scared:  :scared:

It's a little rhody secret and has been spotted numerous times from watch hill to little compton. No one likes to talk about it because they are scared it will scare away tourists..

There were a few 15 foot babys caught in the fish traps off Narragansett last year. Released unharmed.

"Of all my wife's relations, I like myself the best" ...Grandpa

i fished with frank in 1986,1987 & 1988 before he moved to kona.he was a character,i spent several days & nights out to sea with him & in that time i found him to be a verry nice guy.he had more knowledge about the ocean & fishing than anyone id ever met.as far as doing "less than acceptable" acts,well times & what was acceptable 35 yrs ago were surely different than they are today.he put fish in the boat & showed his sports a grand time.never have i had such adventure & let me tell you all i live for adventure,have been in harms way more than the average bear for sure.with out the element of danger it is not truely adventure,frank was a safe & experienced waterman like none other.after moving to kona frank becane active in the preservation of sharks,so the great shark killer had come full circle later on in life.just sayin.

its hard tellin, not knowin

View Posti fished with frank in 1986,1987 & 1988 before he moved to kona.he was a character,i spent several days & nights out to sea with him & in that time i found him to be a verry nice guy.he had more knowledge about the ocean & fishing than anyone id ever met.as far as doing "less than acceptable" acts,well times & what was acceptable 35 yrs ago were surely different than they are today.he put fish in the boat & showed his sports a grand time.never have i had such adventure & let me tell you all i live for adventure,have been in harms way more than the average bear for sure.with out the element of danger it is not truely adventure,frank was a safe & experienced waterman like none other.after moving to kona frank becane active in the preservation of sharks,so the great shark killer had come full circle later on in life.just sayin.

I have been a fan since I read an article about him in 1976. Very good to hear this.

• 5 years later...
On 2/22/2011 at 9:25 PM, Fishoholic said:

pffft.. we get 25 footers up here in RI all the time! I heard they fancy seals but won't shun a fat guy in neoprene cwm31.gif

GW-shark.jpg

The pic looks photoshopped to me. That shark would be 40ft long and the base image has a google maps street name on it. I hope I'm wrong as it would be great to have sharks that size munching seals.

If it's photoshopped, pretty good job. Notice the shadow under the shark and the shadow from the carousel. Could that be the Watch Hill carousel? Maybe s/he's a fan of Taylor Swift? 

Larkin road should answer the Watch Hill question :D

Two things in life I love. Fishing, and looking at the wives pictures on the milk Carton

I have seen many great whites and they are big fish.But believe me compared to a Killer Whale they look like babys.In fact Killers will play with great Whites before killing them.Whaler sharks often called Bull sharks are much more agressive and dangerous for people.It is a good thing for us humans that Killer whales do not usually attack people.The great White has been blown up to something that as nothing to do with reality.And it is a pity to see such a beatifull animal killed,because some idiot needs a record to make him feel like a man.

All mega catches and all very notable and much applause....from a boat. But I like the story about Walter Maxwell and his solo 1780lb Tiger Shark caught form a pier in Cherry Grove, NC in 1964 on a left handed 16/0 Penn Senator. Yes, from a pier, all muscle, all feet, and all sweat. He said he had one on even bigger than that but lost it with a pole gaff sticking out of its mouth. He could only gauge its size by the end of the pier, which was about 25 feet. When they lost the fish with the pole gaff, they described it swimming away like a submarine with its para scope up. LoL. Even still, his landed Tiger lost about 10% of its body weight before it was weighed next day. So if weighed same day, probably about a ton. Now that's a catch!

You guys may be interested in reading "The Devil's Teeth" by Susan Casey~ it's a great true story about the annual visit of big Great Whites at the Farralon Islands, 20 or so miles off the San Fran coast...

Better yet  read "In the Slick of the Cricket" by Russell Drumm.  A biography of Frank Mundus by one of the best outdoor writers...

All mega catches and all very notable and much applause....from a boat. But I like the story about Walter Maxwell and his solo 1780lb Tiger Shark caught form a pier in Cherry Grove, NC in 1964 on a left handed 16/0 Penn Senator. Yes, from a pier, all muscle, all feet, and all sweat. He said he had one on even bigger than that but lost it with a pole gaff sticking out of its mouth. He could only gauge its size by the end of the pier, which was about 25 feet. When they lost the fish with the pole gaff, they described it swimming away like a submarine with its para scope up. LoL. Even still, his landed Tiger lost about 10% of its body weight before it was weighed next day. So if weighed same day, probably about a ton. Now that's a catch!

Probably just a typo above, but I'll go ahead and state for others that Cherry Grove is in South Carolina....north end of Myrtle Beach.  I've been to that pier several times.

A few years ago, I downloaded a copy of an interview with Walter Maxwell.  Pretty cool read.

The IGFA now recognizes 2 world records, the second being a 2004 catch off the coast of Australia that outweighed Maxwell's shark by 5 lb. and change.  If Maxwell's catch hadn't sat on the beach overnight, the fish from Australia wouldn't have even come close.

I believe Maxwell still holds the North Carolina state record for tiger shark.

Here's a pic of Maxwell's world record.  The gesture of the little girl on the right says it all.

post-11780-0-71988000-1470635868.jpg

Edited by Pendulauncher

These pics only made me think that i should never swim in a body of saltwater again. NEVER  :scared:  no shark that big will ever make it to igfa records because of the rule about one person catching the record with no help from another. if some one else touched the rod its a disqualifier.