Cod fishing NJ

Rate this topic

Spigola

After the reports I read and my trip of last Thursday on the Voyager, I can't understand why anyone from South Jersey would want to make the 8 hour round trip to M for codfish. Not only are you probably burning 1 1/2 tanks of gas, but you have tolls, the time spent driving and if you get crappy weather when you get there it is a tough decision to sail or stay on the dock. Last but not least is the $125 fare for the boat.

As for me, now that the codfishing seems to be coming back here in Joisey, I'll stick to driving the 2 hr round trip to Pt Pleasant/Brielle to hop on one of the great boats that sail out of there, pay my $75 to $85 fare, run maybe two hours out and fish my brains out for the day. I am perfectly happy ending my day with a few cod for dinner considering the small amount of traveling and expenses incurred.

Guess I'm getting to be a Jersey Boy after all. redface.gif

Spig smile.gif

I agree completely.

Gotta remember though that folks make decisions on past experience. And really, this seems to be the first year in ages where there have been GOOD partyboat cod catches in NJ. I would bet that next year a lot more people will think "NJ" when they think "COD".

I like NJ. Too bad it is so expensive to live here.

Slacker is right. With the exception of last year, this year is the first good year of NJ cod fishing. In years prior, a NJ "cod trip" would be a muppet, silver eel, and doggie safari trip on top of riding around the ocean for 6-7 hours and fishing for only 3-4. Usually, you were able to bring home a half dozen ling for dinner and maybe a keeper cod or pollack if you were really lucky.

Now it's a different story and hopefully it keeps getting better and better each year.

This is certainly good news for us, especially considering the Sea Bass situation. I hope it lasts.

Imagine now if Whiting could somehow make a comeback too. In addition to being a worthwhile catch themselves, they'd make great forage for big Cod and possibly even Pollack.

I guess I'm stretching reality a bit.

View PostThis is certainly good news for us, especially considering the Sea Bass situation. I hope it lasts.

Imagine now if Whiting could somehow make a comeback too. In addition to being a worthwhile catch themselves, they'd make great forage for big Cod and possibly even Pollack.

I guess I'm stretching reality a bit.

Maybe w/ some intelligent fisheries management it may become a realitywink.gif

I always agree with ANYTHING that Slacker says.cwm13.gif I also agree with you Spig. Nicer bunch of people to fish with here in Jersey too. The ANIMALS have taken over the Montauk fleet. I have read reports and witnessed it firsthand. I don't need to drive 4 hours for aggrivation..I get enough of that from Slacker.

The Magnificent Presence

View PostI completely agree with what everyone is saying...but I still feel like I need to experience Montauk just once--however I really can't justify spending like $30 between gas/tolls and 4+ hours of complete aggravation of getting there.

If you want to fish out there, you could go to Rhode Island for a slightly better commute... few more highway miles, but get rid of that 30 mile at 35 MPH eastern LI hassle.

RI boats and Montauk boats pretty much all end up fishing the same waters around BI.

I've been watching the LI and RI reports. It really seems that while they are doing great on numbers, I haven't seen the quality fish that some of the NJ boats are putting up... just last week a NJ boat decked one at 38# and multiple over 20#. We did a trip on that boat a couple of weeks ago and there were at least 2 that were over 25# and 3 that were in the mid to upper teens.

I think that if I was looking to fill the freezer, I'd look to do 2 back to back trips up north... mini-vacation. If I only have 1 day to fish or was looking for a big fish, I'd definitely be staying here - at least right now.

View PostMick,

You guys gonna' hit the Gambler again any time in the near future? Was down talking to Capt Bob yesterday. The boat is awesome and he seems to be a really nice guy. I'd like to give it a shot.

Spig HappyWave.gif

I would love to Lou but being out of work is putting a damper on my fishing. I gotta see how things go in the next 2 weeks.

The Magnificent Presence

View PostI would love to Lou but being out of work is putting a damper on my fishing. I gotta see how things go in the next 2 weeks.

I hear you Mick. I have a cardiologist, and an internist appointment in the next two days. Gonna, see what next week or the week after holds weather wise. Don't like to fish weekends.

Lou