Anyone have any tips on catching squid?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 jacob64

jacob64

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted February 12 2011 - 1:49 AM

I know of one way that involves some sort of net and and am dying to try it. I have a few questions though:
1. Can you net squid? Dip or cast
2. What types of rigs do you use for em' and do you fish for them at night.

• -
"Seaworm King"

#2 MichaelT

MichaelT
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted February 12 2011 - 7:22 AM

Yo-Zuri squid jigs in bright green or pink work well.

Bright lights shining down on the water at night will draw them in.

• -

#3 StriperSurg

StriperSurg
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationSouthern Maine

Posted February 12 2011 - 1:46 PM

Do we ever get squid up here in Maine? I know they get them down in Mass, but have never heard of them being caught up here, recreationally.

• -

#4 portlandsurfcaster

portlandsurfcaster

• PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted February 12 2011 - 4:51 PM

Lots of squid around July through August.

• -

#5 iphish

iphish
  • Way too many!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,494 posts
  • LocationTo infinity and beyond.....

Posted February 12 2011 - 6:44 PM

Yo-Zuri squid jigs, then head to the south facing beaches of cape cod around may 15th-6/1 ish

• -

#6 Capt. Walt

Capt. Walt

• PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted February 23 2011 - 10:28 AM

Lots of Squid in Maine.

You can jig them in the Pisscataqua River at night in winter under the floodlights or just about anywhere offshore.

Im thinking of rigging some car headlights in PVC Tubes and dloating them in the water for Squid Jigging next onth as soon as the snow melts off my boat.

Get out very early in the morning while its still dark out before daybreak.

They are delicious.

This is all you need.

Rig 5 or 6 in a row on your rod with a 8 oz sinker on the bottom

• -
Maine Sure its Cold; But its a Damp Cold!

#7 Tlacey21walden

Tlacey21walden
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  • LocationSouthern maine

Posted August 13 2011 - 10:37 PM

Anyone catching any? or seen any? I remember reading this thread back this winter and thinking that it would be fun to try.

• -
Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after, If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles

#8 CDUX

CDUX

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted August 15 2011 - 6:27 AM

Got 2 dozen while jigging herring Friday night, not so far offshore. Live lined a couple for tuna, looked awesome & lasted all day even with the hook buried inside them, no takers though. But the stripers certainly gobbled them up when we got back to the dock, some of them you couldn't even close the bail before going tight, think the longest one soaked was 3 mintutes.

• -

#9 Barkspud

Barkspud

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted August 16 2011 - 7:56 AM

I.ve been seeing some around the warfs at night under the street lights. Seem to be more in the spots that are more seaward looking towards open ocean. I see a few in Sorrento the other night. They seem to like it around our cod fish pens too.

• -

#10 StriperSurg

StriperSurg
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationSouthern Maine

Posted August 17 2011 - 4:51 PM

How about around the Portland area? where to go? would love to catch of few for some Calamari.

• -

#11 fishingsurveyor

fishingsurveyor

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted August 17 2011 - 6:34 PM

Got 2 dozen while jigging herring Friday night, not so far offshore. Live lined a couple for tuna, looked awesome & lasted all day even with the hook buried inside them, no takers though. But the stripers certainly gobbled them up when we got back to the dock, some of them you couldn't even close the bail before going tight, think the longest one soaked was 3 mintutes.

Can you keep them alive if so whats the trick in a barrell or live well or did you chunk them
Might be the change in bait that granma striper will swallow

• -

#12 CDUX

CDUX

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted August 18 2011 - 8:48 AM

They're pretty hardy, those guys were in a live well for 18 hours or so, but I've keeped them in a plain old bucket in the past. Live or fresh dead always seems to pay off for me, never tried frozen.

• -

#13 SquidSeeker4pet

SquidSeeker4pet

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted January 29 2015 - 1:09 AM

For someone who has never been to the Pisscataqua River, would you be willing to give any tips on where exactly or abroad for location of catching these awesome creations? Has anyone tried in the Portland area? Does "Bug Light " allow fishing? Thanks for your time.

• -

#14 bdowning

bdowning
  • 5,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,935 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...ovah the rainbow...

Posted January 29 2015 - 12:29 PM

I don't know the area well enough to offer specifics, but generally any pier or float in a river that is tidal is a good starting point. The squid chase small bait like spike mackerel or herring so any river that supports small fry like that is good. If the dock or float is lighted above at night, so much the better as it attracts the bait and then the squid chasing the bait. Guys often bring lanterns to shine in the water. You can often see the squid come in, if there's enough light. Marinas are good, if they allow fishing. Problem is that many are off limits because of idiots leaving behind trash, etc.

I like the weighted Yo-Zuri jigs, on the smaller side, on a light rod. Make sure the jig gets down in the current, may need to add rubber cores sometimes.

Never tried netting them...

-bd

• -
Pfantum Pfishah

#15 stripedbassking

stripedbassking
  • 5,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,491 posts

Posted January 29 2015 - 12:54 PM

I don't know the area well enough to offer specifics, but generally any pier or float in a river that is tidal is a good starting point. The squid chase small bait like spike mackerel or herring so any river that supports small fry like that is good. If the dock or float is lighted above at night, so much the better as it attracts the bait and then the squid chasing the bait. Guys often bring lanterns to shine in the water. You can often see the squid come in, if there's enough light. Marinas are good, if they allow fishing. Problem is that many are off limits because of idiots leaving behind trash, etc.

I like the weighted Yo-Zuri jigs, on the smaller side, on a light rod. Make sure the jig gets down in the current, may need to add rubber cores sometimes.

Never tried netting them...

-bd

He nailed it here, basically the best way to get after them from shore!

• -
GOD made my Mold different from the rest, Then he broke that mold so I know I'm Blessed.