Smelt Dipping

Rate this topic

hmm I cant ever remember, April may ish, the spot I go to the game wardens are nice nuff to post the law on a telephone pole near by wink.gif

And I like to use a lantern and hang / place it as low or close to the water as I can so I can see them swim by

Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after, If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles

"¢ Season for Taking Smelt with a Dip Net: From March 15 through April 30, smelt may be taken by means of a dip net not over 18 inches in diameter, between the hours of sunset and 12 midnight.

Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after, If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles

• 2 weeks later...

I come from a family of Maine outdooorsman who have a couple of philosophies on when smelts run. As a kid I thought they were full of it however as I get older there advice works. My great uncle claims that when the raccoons are out the smelts are running, this has been proven true, and my other uncle says when you first hear the frogs chirping at night the smelts are running, this has been proven as well. Both of these things generally occur the second week of April.

• 1 month later...

The Maine rulebook sucks and I think is designed so that it is confusing and hard to find information. I asked because I couldn't find the info.....thanks for the link but I'm talking dipping for fresh water smelt....not ocean....already been on IFW's website there several times and couldn't find it but just went back and found two quarts for anyone else looking for the info......now my next plight is finding a place close by that dipping is allowed....all the places that I was aware of dipping are CLOSED....still searching.

View PostThe Maine rulebook sucks and I think is designed so that it is confusing and hard to find information. I asked because I couldn't find the info.....thanks for the link but I'm talking dipping for fresh water smelt....not ocean....already been on IFW's website there several times and couldn't find it but just went back and found two quarts for anyone else looking for the info......now my next plight is finding a place close by that dipping is allowed....all the places that I was aware of dipping are CLOSED....still searching.

I here you about the rule book, having lived in and folowed 2 outher states fish and wildlife rules I find Maine s to be kooky.gif

That being shad I have never dipped the fresh water smelt but would like to try it, I will do some cwm15.gif and see what I can come up with

You will find places that are "no big secrets" but still shall remain nameless.

I would call the warden, they will provide you with a sense of what's legal and most likely give you a spot to try. Then you will learn why these spots are no big secrets. The rulebook is very whacky.