Hoop gates

Rate this topic

robc22

Hoop Gates......

BG......Here's a hoop gate.......really works well with the shrimp trawl mesh heads....I think if you adapted the idea to wire heads it would kick butt.....As you look at it, the trap is sitting on it's SIDE in my yard.......

I began making my own traps back in the mid to late 70's. Didn't have any money in those days. I used to buy all my wire at Mid City Steel in Westport Ma. They sold 'seconds' on lobster mesh. It was ~ 60% less than first run stuff. The owner's name was R. J. Von See, and every Saturday he'd run lobster and eel traps making classes at the steel yard.

He was playing around with making wire heads in those days, but never got it right. I more or less refined them, and this is the kitchen heads I use these days. Being wire, they never go slack when the trap gets banged around on the rocks.

The knit parlor head still is the weak link IMO. They fish great, but in the canal the traps get banged around in the rocks, and the heads loosen up as a result. The more slack in the head, the worse it fishes. I'm working on a wire head as we speak, and hope to have it ready by March.wink.gif

The Sultan of Sluggo

View PostI began making my own traps back in the mid to late 70's. Didn't have any money in those days. I used to buy all my wire at Mid City Steel in Westport Ma. They sold 'seconds' on lobster mesh. It was ~ 60% less than first run stuff. The owner's name was R. J. Von See, and every Saturday he'd run lobster and eel traps making classes at the steel yard.

He was playing around with making wire heads in those days, but never got it right. I more or less refined them, and this is the kitchen heads I use these days. Being wire, they never go slack when the trap gets banged around on the rocks.

The knit parlor head still is the weak link IMO. They fish great, but in the canal the traps get banged around in the rocks, and the heads loosen up as a result. The more slack in the head, the worse it fishes. I'm working on a wire head as we speak, and hope to have it ready by March.wink.gif

I bought my eel pot wire there in the early eighties......I think you did too.....

View PostI looked much younger then!!cwm27.gifcwm27.gifcwm27.gif ......Nice looking lobster gear by the way....looks like it would fish well......

Thanks rob. I'm working on a totally new design, just for the canal (I got too much time on my handsshaky.gif ). I was experimenting with something close to it this summer, but the sob who dumped a trap right on top of me stole it when he took out his gear.mad.gif

The Sultan of Sluggo