Jump to content


Photo

Carbon Monoxide detector beeping


  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Jay in the Bay

Jay in the Bay
  • 1,000 Post Club!

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,071 posts
  • Joined: Aug-19 2005

Posted January 02 2011 - 11:47 PM

A few mins ago, my CO detector started chirping, one quick chirp, and then about 20 sec later, it gives a quick chirp again. I thought it meant the batteries are dying but it's a unit that plugs intoo a wall socket. I brought it upstairs and it was still chirping. The 2nd unit installed at the top of the stairs is still silent. Is this signalling that there's a serious emergency, or something just wrong w the detector?


  • 0
  • -

#2 DerrickT

DerrickT
  • Way too many!

  • 50,889 posts
  • Joined: Mar-29 2007
  • LocationEphrata, Pa

Posted January 03 2011 - 12:00 AM

It has a battery backup in case the power goes out


  • 0
  • -
DMS# 2573

#3 basstard115

basstard115
  • 1,000 Post Club!

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  • Joined: Sep-27 2010

Posted January 03 2011 - 12:01 AM

Some units have battery backup incase power loss. Unplug it, look at back, open cover check for battery. If not try another one from a different location, plug it in there and recheck. If its still high, get out. Note _the unit will still beep if you take out battery and plug it back in, its a safety feature.


  • 0
  • -

#4 Jay in the Bay

Jay in the Bay
  • 1,000 Post Club!

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,071 posts
  • Joined: Aug-19 2005

Posted January 03 2011 - 12:11 AM

Some units have battery backup incase power loss. Unplug it, look at back, open cover check for battery. If not try another one from a different location, plug it in there and recheck. If its still high, get out. Note _the unit will still beep if you take out battery and plug it back in, its a safety feature.


Opened it up but doesn't have a battery. Like I mentioned, I plugged it in upstairs and it did the same thing, and theres another fully functional (just tested it) alarm upstairs in the vicinity that isn't chirping.


  • 0
  • -

#5 DerrickT

DerrickT
  • Way too many!

  • 50,889 posts
  • Joined: Mar-29 2007
  • LocationEphrata, Pa

Posted January 03 2011 - 12:26 AM

How old is it? Could be a bad sensor to. I'd say if its older then 5 years its time for a new one.
And who's make is it?


  • 0
  • -
DMS# 2573

#6 richs

richs
  • 5,000 Post Club!

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts
  • Joined: Jan-05 2000

Posted January 03 2011 - 12:33 AM

Mine did the same thing. They wear out after a 3-5years. Also try vacuming it. Could be dust in the sensor (though that usually is a smoke detector issue).


  • 0
  • -
If I had a gun for every skunk I have drawn, I could arm a town the size of Abilene

#7 HJS

HJS
  • 1,000 Post Club!

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts
  • Joined: Aug-19 2001
  • LocationEmmitsburg, MD

Posted January 03 2011 - 10:51 AM

yeah, what richs said ^. I'd also add to give the CO unit a couple of shots of air-in-a-can or from an air compressor, don't over-do it... then vacume lightly.


  • 0
  • -

#8 Kings over Queens

Kings over Queens
  • Way too many!

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58,502 posts
  • Joined: May-26 2003

Posted January 03 2011 - 11:26 AM

Ours do it all the time. Real PITA.


  • 0
  • -

#9 ZacS

ZacS
  • 1,000 Post Club!

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,592 posts
  • Joined: Jun-02 2005

Posted January 03 2011 - 11:39 AM

are you feeling sleepy?


  • 0
  • -

#10 Jay in the Bay

Jay in the Bay
  • 1,000 Post Club!

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,071 posts
  • Joined: Aug-19 2005

Posted January 03 2011 - 12:24 PM

I survived the night. The detector has a manufacture date of 2003, so I assume it needs to be replaced...


  • 0
  • -

#11 ScottO

ScottO
  • 5,000 Post Club!

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,124 posts
  • Joined: Oct-24 2001
  • LocationSomewhere between Hell and back.

Posted January 03 2011 - 1:36 PM

CO is heavier than air, thus could fill the downstairs long before the upstairs. Also a leak on the up stairs could prevent levels getting high enough to trigger a unit. I would not "assume" the unit bad, I would assume, the CO levels were elevated and get that checked. In your case I would have taken detector number two downstairs and plugged it in to see if it also began going off. If so, I would assume CO issues, if not, I would assume bad detector. In the future, assume the worse and check for the CO levels. Scott


  • 0
  • -
 

 


#12 dogboy

dogboy
  • Way too many!

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,798 posts
  • Joined: Aug-21 2004

Posted January 03 2011 - 3:22 PM

How old is it? Could be a bad sensor to. I'd say if its older then 5 years its time for a new one.

And who's make is it?


i had a plug in model with battery back up that did the same thing- i changed the batteries and it still did it

so i threw it out

found out later that some older CO detectors measure accumulated CO and can't reset to zero, ever

so eventually it will go off


I guess CO is best measured over time, not as a moment in time, since it tends to accumulate from a single source that might be adding amounts so small that they dissipate before they attain harmful levels, but the levels should always be 0.00

i just put a battery operated one up yesterday and was reading up on how it reports- (x ppm)over 6 hours, (x times 2 ppm) over 2 hours, (x times 4 ppm) over 30 minutes, will all cause it to fire


  • 0
  • -

#13 Jay in the Bay

Jay in the Bay
  • 1,000 Post Club!

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,071 posts
  • Joined: Aug-19 2005

Posted January 03 2011 - 4:00 PM

When to home depot and got a replacement detector. No longer beeping. Associate said that it def crapped out.


  • 0
  • -

#14 rwalter7

rwalter7
  • 1,000 Post Club!

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts
  • Joined: Oct-24 2007

Posted January 03 2011 - 4:27 PM

erase all doubt and toss it (as you did). Not good to fool around. They're cheap insurance.


  • 0
  • -
Bob
SE CT

#15 Charleston

Charleston
  • Way too many!

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,208 posts
  • Joined: Feb-14 2003
  • LocationJackson NJ but born and raised in Massachusetts

Posted January 03 2011 - 4:57 PM

It's shot. Needs to be replaced. You did the right thing. Throw it out and buy a new one.


  • 0
  • -

Went to see the whatfixer.