King crab vs. snow crab

Rate this topic

Any opinions? I've never been a huge fan of crab legs because they often don't seem to have much flavor. But I figured I might give some a try tomorrow night. Wondering if you folks have a preference between king and snow crab. Frankly I'd prefer blue crab (which I prefer over everything including lobster) but that just isn't available in my neck of the woods.

I'm like you, my favorite is bluesdrool.gif .

Both frozen, and precooked, and a little salty for my taste, but if I were going to choose one, I guess it would be king crab. More meat, and less work. King crab is probably twice as expensive as snow crab though. In Hawaii, it is going for $19.99/lb this year compared to $10.99-$12.99/lb last year.

I'm doing yellowfin sashimi, and jumbo shrimp as $20/lb is a little pricey for me.

King crab is far better but way pricey.They were 30 bucks a pound on the day before christmas eve at the local fish markets near me but they were the A1 premo jumbo legs. Then again i noticed everything had been bumped up for the holidays.Fish fillets were 2 dollars a pound more expensive and clams 2 bucks more a dozen than the week before.Nothing like sticking it to your customers for the holidays! Better off with the snow crab,more bang for the buck.

I prefer snow crab over king crab. The bonus with snow crab is you not only get leg meat, but also some backfin meat in the "clusters".

But as was said, prefer blue crab over all of them.........

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

View PostSnow crab seems more variable than King crab.I find the the ones that have a bright red shell seem tastier than the duller red shell

I find that also with both the king and snow crab. Sometimes the snow is really good, other times not so much. Since they are all previously frozen, I try to get some that is still frozen and thaw it myself just before use and not the stuff that the store thaws out.

More times than not, king crab has a bit of a pasty or grainy texture to it. Hard to explain exactly what I mean, I guess more pasty than grainy.....

Have never had the pleasure of finding live dungeness, so I can't comment on that.

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

Frozen crab, either king or snow, seems to depend a lot on freshness and storage imo. Local store has had king crab on special for $7-8/lb in 3-5lb packages which has been very good. If you go looking for it at other times I think there's a good chane that it's getting old. What doesn't sell when they run the specials goes into an aisle freezer and the last of it might be there a few months. Not sure what the shelf life of it is but I doubt that these store freezers are at low enough temps to get the max out of it.

Also gave up any idea of reheating it in the shells under a broiler or any similar idea. Just thaw, shell and into a salad, or barely warm it in butter for rolls.

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black