Jump to content


Photo

Plumbers putty solvent


  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 BranfordJeff

BranfordJeff

    Way too many!

  • Banned Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 49,484 posts
  • Joined: Oct-07 2006

Posted December 23 2010 - 10:45 PM

What's the best way to clean up extra plumbers putty? I overdid my toilet a little in the front, and it's a total eyesore. Well, nobody else would ever notice, but I installed it, and I am by far my own worst critic.

#2 longcaster

longcaster

    Way too many!

  • BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,422 posts
  • Joined: Feb-15 2005

Posted December 23 2010 - 11:17 PM

Just rub it. It has linseed oil in it (I think), so Mineral spirits should wash it away.

#3 gadwall8

gadwall8

    Way too many!

  • Moderators
  • 18,238 posts
  • Joined: Jun-14 2001
  • LocationUneverheardofitstan

Posted December 23 2010 - 11:44 PM

Why would you use putty installing a toilet?






"I came into this world naked, screaming at the top of my lungs, and covered in someone else's blood. I got not problem leaving it that way."

#4 hwsmike

hwsmike

    1,000 Post Club!

  • BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
  • Joined: Jan-21 2006
  • LocationNJ

Posted December 24 2010 - 1:06 AM


Quote:








Originally Posted by gadwall8
View Post

Why would you use putty installing a toilet?












Was thinking the same.


Usually I use an old toothbrush to clean up excess around faucets and SS sinks.


Personally I'll use phenoseal, or the sanded caulk to match the tile grout.

#5 KevinB

KevinB

    1,000 Post Club!

  • Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts
  • Joined: Jul-31 2006

Posted December 24 2010 - 2:00 PM

as a kid our old school plumber always made a horseshoe shaped putty rope around the base of the toilet before setting it, thats how I use to do it as well, now I just use polyseam or pheno.
Wet rag and some elbow grease, but a plastic taping knife contoured by a pair of wiss snips can really removed everything you want ,keep everything in place at the same time all without damaging the toilet. Usually 3 for a buck at walmart

#6 BranfordJeff

BranfordJeff

    Way too many!

  • Banned Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 49,484 posts
  • Joined: Oct-07 2006

Posted December 24 2010 - 2:30 PM


Quote:








Originally Posted by KevinB
View Post

as a kid our old school plumber always made a horseshoe shaped putty rope around the base of the toilet before setting it,







Yep, that's why it's there.

#7 cheech

cheech

    1,000 Post Club!

  • BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts
  • Joined: Sep-18 2007

Posted December 25 2010 - 12:49 PM

I dry run toilets,and if they dont sit nice a little plaster of Paris around the flange guarantees success.WD 40 will clean it up also.If the grout is light be careful not to stain it.

#8 shark lobster

shark lobster

    5,000 Post Club!

  • BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,439 posts
  • Joined: Sep-29 2010

Posted December 25 2010 - 12:58 PM


Quote:








Originally Posted by BranfordJeff
View Post

What's the best way to clean up extra plumbers putty? I overdid my toilet a little in the front, and it's a total eyesore. Well, nobody else would ever notice, but I installed it, and I am by far my own worst critic.



dont know why you would ever use putty on toilet a little more info would be great ,, if you put it in space between floor and toilet , pull it out with a screwdriver , they put a bead silocone in it

#9 gadwall8

gadwall8

    Way too many!

  • Moderators
  • 18,238 posts
  • Joined: Jun-14 2001
  • LocationUneverheardofitstan

Posted December 25 2010 - 1:39 PM

Putty will stain stone tile. If it comes in contact with the cut edge of a ceramic tile, the oil from the putty can migrate under the glaze and be a stain forever.

Old school doesn't make it right


"I came into this world naked, screaming at the top of my lungs, and covered in someone else's blood. I got not problem leaving it that way."

#10 Halcyon

Halcyon

    Senior Member

  • Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Joined: Jan-08 2001

Posted December 25 2010 - 5:17 PM

Plumbers putty is not used for setting toilets.

The process is this:
The toilet flange lever should be no higher than 1/4" above nor 1/2" below floor level. An extra thick bowl wax or a second on without a plastic taper flow gasket can be added to get sufficient material for a good seal.
Once the toilet is set on the bowl wax and the nuts on the closet bolts are moderately snug. Bolt should be secured to the closet flange firmly with a washer and nut. All hardware must me non-ferrous.
If the floor is not perfectly level you'll have a little extra work to dl. Shims will be needs (soft plastic wedges available at the plumbing warehouse) to push under the bowl rim to get it and tank level in all directions. The bowl nuts are then snugged down. The wedges are then trimmed with a sharp blade. To get the best seal between the bowl and floor a sanded caulk is the best choice. These caulks (water soluble) are available at any good floor tile supplier and can be had in a myriad of colors to suit the floor color, grout lines or toilet ceramic as the case may be.

Been at it for 36 years now. Do it right, do it once, do it wrong, do it at least three times. It why plumbers get their wage. I have to fix if for free for a year if anything fails.



Merry Christmas, Rich

#11 speedracer

speedracer

    Way too many!

  • Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,604 posts
  • Joined: Sep-12 2005

Posted December 25 2010 - 6:40 PM


Quote:








Originally Posted by Halcyon
View Post

Plumbers putty is not used for setting toilets.

The process is this:
The toilet flange lever should be no higher than 1/4" above nor 1/2" below floor level. An extra thick bowl wax or a second on without a plastic taper flow gasket can be added to get sufficient material for a good seal.
Once the toilet is set on the bowl wax and the nuts on the closet bolts are moderately snug. Bolt should be secured to the closet flange firmly with a washer and nut. All hardware must me non-ferrous.
If the floor is not perfectly level you'll have a little extra work to dl. Shims will be needs (soft plastic wedges available at the plumbing warehouse) to push under the bowl rim to get it and tank level in all directions. The bowl nuts are then snugged down. The wedges are then trimmed with a sharp blade. To get the best seal between the bowl and floor a sanded caulk is the best choice. These caulks (water soluble) are available at any good floor tile supplier and can be had in a myriad of colors to suit the floor color, grout lines or toilet ceramic as the case may be.

Been at it for 36 years now. Do it right, do it once, do it wrong, do it at least three times. It why plumbers get their wage. I have to fix if for free for a year if anything fails.



Merry Christmas, Rich






DITTO!!!

Plastic wedges and sanded caulk.
You're getting sleepy. ....very sleepy.....

#12 NIB

NIB

    5,000 Post Club!

  • BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,336 posts
  • Joined: Jan-12 2002

Posted December 25 2010 - 9:17 PM


Quote:








Originally Posted by gadwall8
View Post

Putty will stain stone tile. If it comes in contact with the cut edge of a ceramic tile, the oil from the putty can migrate under the glaze and be a stain forever.

Old school doesn't make it right







I have seen it stain a marble counter top..Plumber used it around the perimeter of the sink.
Not Good..
Build a Better Mantrap
and the Rats will beat a path to your Door..

#13 BranfordJeff

BranfordJeff

    Way too many!

  • Banned Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 49,484 posts
  • Joined: Oct-07 2006

Posted December 28 2010 - 1:19 PM

Thanks, guys.


Back to Do It Yourself · Next Unread Topic →