How big a prime rib for 12 people

Rate this topic

They usually say one rib for each two people as a guide. But that depends if you get the large end or the small end, and as you said, what kind of appetites you are dealing with.

For Donna and me, I usually buy the smallest 2-rib roast I can find, hopefully in the 3 to 3 1/4 pound range. That is plenty for a big meal and enough leftovers to make us either a couple cheese steaks or a couple of fajitas a few nights later.

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

View PostI alway figure about a pound per person uncooked, that is if there meat eaters,but if there not figure on eight onces per person...

Happy Holidays

Ya gotta take into account the weight of the bones if it is bone in, which can be as much as 25-30% of the total weight.

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

SOL Member #174

Go to BJs and buy a whole rib eye, no bone. Bring it home and cut the roast to your desired size, cut the rest into steaks. Vac seal em and eat at will! icon14.gif

That is my plan of attack. You can buy the whole rib eye, boned, for less than a bone in cut most other places, and you're not paying for bone weight. Some prefer cooking bone-in, but I really don't notice a difference, if cooked properly. I have 10 coming for Christmas, I'm figuring a 12-14 lbs, uncooked. That should leave 3-5 lbs to cut into steaks for the grill!

View PostI plan on roasting a prime rib for Xmas day. How big a roast do I need for 12 people. Keep in mind that 5 of them are big meat eaters and I want left overs as well.

Shop Rite has center cut rib roasts, bone in on sale for $4.99 lb this week - a big one will usually run about 12 - 14 lbs which should be plenty

View PostI would get yourself a full size rib roast, that would be the primal cut between 6-8 bones and ask the butcher to trim and tie it to your liking for you...

I get mine at Shop Rite and have have them remove the roast from the bone then tie it back on. Cooks on the bone then cut the strings and remove for carving.

"My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention."
Hedley Lamar
"It wasn't the bullet that laid him to rest, was the low spark of high-heeled boys"
Jim Capaldi & Steve Winwood

I agree with the 6 count, and get it with the bone, but have the butcher take it off the bone and tie it back on for your - will make carving so much better -

The bones add flavor to the au jour - no doubt

and don't forget to make the yorkshire pudding heart.gif

Use a meat thermometer that has the display on the outside of the oven.

I can smell it now. drool.gif

"... let it go - lets move forward."

Paul - some good info on that site, but I don't agree with all of it. First, I have no issues with cooking a 2 rib roast (they say it is not worth getting one less than 3 ribs), do it all the time with much success.

I also don't buy into the high temp/low temp roasting.....I know lots of folks here do that with success, but I feel it makes for uneven cooking from the outside to the middle. Mine goes ~20 minutes/lb (for rare) at 325 the entire time.

Third, I disagree with not salting the outside. As I have mentioned before, I use a paste of a LOT of kosher salt, crushed garlic, rosemary, and horseradish and smear it all over the roast. Have done it that way for years, and it works very well, and other people I have given the recipe/method to and have tried it also said it was the best they ever cooked.

Their guidelines for internal temperature are pretty spot on........

SOL Member #174

I do it with other roast beef of other cuts (and also with roast pork or leg of lamb), but for some reason, not with rib roast.

SOL Member #174