Cruller or Jelly stick

Rate this topic

oldgoat

oldgoat,

I think the terms roots go back further in terms of distance than Cape Cod.

When I was a kid growing up in west central Ma (60's), the term cruller was universally used in all donut shops. You had plain crullers, along wioth jelly, cinnamon, sugared, glazed, and even chocolate. All were crullers. Never heard them called jelly sticks. But back in those days, almost all the better donut shops were 'mom and pops'.

Then along come Dunkin Donuts and they proliferate all of Ma, and suddenly they're called jelly sticks.

The Sultan of Sluggo

When I think Crueller, I picture a twisted donut either plain, glazed or sugared, they take SOME donut making ability to produce, unlike the jelly stick...... Which is just that.......a stick of dough with some jelly in it.......don't get me wrong though they're still a good substitute when a fix is needed. A lot of the donut shops in CT still make their jelly donuts the old fashioned way, sliced in half lengthwise and then filled with jelly, no poking those donuts!

mare liberum

View Postoldgoat,

I think the terms roots go back further in terms of distance than Cape Cod.

When I was a kid growing up in west central Ma (60's), the term cruller was universally used in all donut shops. You had plain crullers, along wioth jelly, cinnamon, sugared, glazed, and even chocolate. All were crullers. Never heard them called jelly sticks. But back in those days, almost all the better donut shops were 'mom and pops'.

Then along come Dunkin Donuts and they proliferate all of Ma, and suddenly they're called jelly sticks.

Ya.....DD, Walmart, BassPro.......puts everyone else out of business......cwm13.gif