Surf fishing Sicily??

Rate this topic

john c

Hello all.........In addition to our annual Mexican trek, my lady and I are planning a trip to Sicily and the obvious question concerns whether there is any worth while surf fishing on the island....either conventional/spinning or with fly. Appreciate any thoughts or actual experiences. Thanks, John C

My good friend Carmine was born on Sicily and he is an avid fisherman. Heard stories from him catching when he would go back home to see his mother. Unfortunately I cant reach him right now to get some advice for you. He will be in Marion IL for the next 10 years, 8 if he behaves properly smile.gif.

TBD shaky.gif

TBD

CC

The Europeans have really raped the Mediterranean - I'd be amazed if there's a fish left to catch. They've certainly done in the tuna there.

An exaggeration - but not by much. Knowing the tuna was in trouble, they just went on allowing the fishery to keep the jobs. Now, the fish are just about gone.

There are no fish in the Canal. In fact, there is no Canal.

He's talking about surf fishing, not tuna fishing. Seen my share of the world but never seen a place that I can talk about using words tuna and surf in same sentence. Are you tuna fishing a lot in europe? Cause you seem to know much about it... John C when are you taking the trip? Will you be plugging or chunking? Check this thread, some info on european seabass... http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...67#post7329567

Zoran

I have snorkeled the rocks off Palermo and there are fish around....there is no telling what a long cast and a popper might do though...i've seen some larger fish sitting in the deeper spots near the bottom...the fisherman there do keep basically everything they catch no matter how big or small.

View PostHe's talking about surf fishing, not tuna fishing. Seen my share of the world but never seen a place that I can talk about using words tuna and surf in same sentence. Are you tuna fishing a lot in europe? Cause you seem to know much about it... John C when are you taking the trip? Will you be plugging or chunking? Check this thread, some info on european seabass... http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...67#post7329567

Zoran

I used tuna as an example of what European countries have done to the Mediterranean fishery, because I've seen the numbers. They also have big pollution problems. Doesn't mean you can't catch fish there.

There are no fish in the Canal. In fact, there is no Canal.

Hi John C,

I've never had the pleasure of going to Sicily but I have been to the Italian coast and lots of Greek Islands on vacation so for what its worth can comment a little on the med in general.

The coast around the mediterranean sea I associate with beautiful scenery, great food, good wines and very friendly locals. I dont associate it with good sea fishing. Despite being a fanatical fisherman I dont bother taking my fishing rod when I go on vacation to the med. Two reasons:

1> Most of the med I have seen is sparklingly clear. Great for swimming and very pretty to look at. For example when kayaking I have been able to see the links in anchor chain in thirty foot + of water. There is some, but not a lot of weed attached to rocks either. The clarity is obviously due to lack of nutrient. With little algae or weed in the med there is obviously a small base to the food chain with not much energy being converted from all that sunshine to support other higher forms of life .

2> Looking around fish shops and ports I was surprised that almost all the fish for sale as food are very small. The vast majority of fish I saw on sale in shops have been less than 1 # in weight. The conclusion I came to is that much of the med is very heavily fished and that any fish big enough to get stuck in a net or swallow a hook has a life expectancy best measured in months, not years. If there are size limits for keeping fish they must be ridiculously small or ignored for many species.

Dont get me wrong, Im sure you can have lots of fun fishing in the med from the shore, just that most the fish will be of a size best caught with ultra light freshwater gear.

There must be a few bigger fish too. But my guess would be that the odds would be stacked against a fisherman without good local knowledge.

Regards - Lurch

"We are all artists when we pick up a rod, and what we tie on the end is our paintbrush." - Russ Bassdozer

My good friend Carmine was born on Sicily and he is an avid fisherman. Heard stories from him catching when he would go back home to see his mother. Unfortunately I cant reach him right now to get some advice for you. He will be in Marion IL for the next 10 years, 8 if he behaves properly

biggrin.gif