Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ThatSlyBasstard

Throwing a Cast Net

17 posts in this topic

Well I just picked up my first cast net from walmart, a 5 footer. After spending an hour trying out every 10-500 step method of throwing it to no success, I stumbled upon this video. Not sure if it would work for a bigger net, but for a 5 footer, I had it down in 3 tries. It has 2 steps. Just 2. lol. Thought I'd post it here since it's so simple and seems to be just as good as the long winded casting procedures, atleast for smaller nets.

" target="_blank">

That video isnt to bad,he demonstrates some fundamental basics that apply to nets up to about 5 feet.Amazingly you bought the 5 footer because 6 footers and above do not work with that technique. The one flaw i saw (even though the net opened ok) is that you want to generally grab the net 1/4 down from the top (this varies with net size and it also allows you to throw farther) and #2 when about to release the net keep the left hand pretty tight to the middle of your chest, this is almost a foul proof method.I always splice about 18 more yards of additional hollow braided poly into the existing handline because this allows me to throw the smaller nets much,much farther than the relatively short handlines that the nets come with, i like to be able to throw extreme distances and many times its required where i live (i have a 3 1/2 footer a 4 ,5,7,and 10 footer with 1.5 pounds of lead per foot (heavy).Ted Dahlems book How to make and mend cast nets is worth picking up, if you try to repair your net and dont do it the proper way your going to frustrate yourself to death. Have fun and enjoy

View PostWell I just picked up my first cast net from walmart, a 5 footer. After spending an hour trying out every 10-500 step method of throwing it to no success, I stumbled upon this video. Not sure if it would work for a bigger net, but for a 5 footer, I had it down in 3 tries. It has 2 steps. Just 2. lol. Thought I'd post it here since it's so simple and seems to be just as good as the long winded casting procedures, atleast for smaller nets.

" target="_blank">

I also just bought a 5 footer, and gave up on it. I got this down very quick, thanks to this video, thanks for posting!smile.gif

For a small net like a 5' or 6', that method works well. If you graduate to a larger net then you will need to develop a new method. Google Jose Wejebe Cast net video or go to the Calusa nets site.

View PostFor a small net like a 5' or 6', that method works well. If you graduate to a larger net then you will need to develop a new method. Google Jose Wejebe Cast net video or go to the Calusa nets site.

I will second the Calusa site.That method works very well even with my 10 footer.

View PostNo other way to effectively throw a 10 or bigger one that I know of.

Do a Google on Triple Haul and you'll see another method. I learned this one as a kid and always showed it to customers when I sold them a net.

Calusa makes an excellent DVD showing throwing techniques. They used to be free, but I don't know now.

Someone asked about cast nets in the surf. Definitely. I made a cast net which I called a 'Surf Skimmer' which worked as it name implies. It sailed flat over the breaker and dropped onto the fish. I made both a bait and mullet model. C2

View PostThat video isnt to bad,he demonstrates some fundamental basics that apply to nets up to about 5 feet.Amazingly you bought the 5 footer because 6 footers and above do not work with that technique. The one flaw i saw (even though the net opened ok) is that you want to generally grab the net 1/4 down from the top (this varies with net size and it also allows you to throw farther) and #2 when about to release the net keep the left hand pretty tight to the middle of your chest, this is almost a foul proof method.I always splice about 18 more yards of additional hollow braided poly into the existing handline because this allows me to throw the smaller nets much,much farther than the relatively short handlines that the nets come with, i like to be able to throw extreme distances and many times its required where i live (i have a 3 1/2 footer a 4 ,5,7,and 10 footer with 1.5 pounds of lead per foot (heavy).Ted Dahlems book How to make and mend cast nets is worth picking up, if you try to repair your net and dont do it the proper way your going to frustrate yourself to death. Have fun and enjoy

i never threw a 10 foot net, but your right that has to be pretty damn heavy since what i throw now isa 7 foot and it has some weight to it. as far as you technique is concerned your right, pretty much the same as what the video shows but grab roughly half way down the net. i get mine to open full circle probably 95% of the time.