Van Staal VM-150

Rate this topic

Alan Hawk

Saw the threads posted when I was away and did some scouting. No solid facts, but I believe that this is the updated knob, and the second one possibly is the new aluminium handle.

When they come out, I will buy one and experiment if they could be made fully sealed by adding a few O rings

The photographs look like official sales ones, so I guess it can't be long smile.gif

View PostSaw the threads posted when I was away and did some scouting. No solid facts, but I believe that this is the updated knob, and the second one possibly is the new aluminium handle.

Attachment 380485

Attachment 380486

The photographs look like official sales ones, so I guess it can't be long smile.gif

Alan,

That second handle reminds me of the 806i or the 807i reels.

consistently inconsistent

Looks nice, I'm gonna get one too.drag Knob in top picture looks like it won't hold debris like the bottom one....... But bottom drag knob looks more "techi" I'm assuming its about the size of the vs-150 or vs-200 or in between? I think I read it holds 285yds. of 30 lb. braid?

"Dont elect a scumbag, no riots, so easy even the alt right should be able to figure it out." - numbnuts

I can't believe they used those sh...y two piece bails on them like the old stradics!!! Braid cuts into those cheap ass aluminum pieces holding the wire itself and the bail is pretty much f'd. For even that money and to skimp out on a part like that blows my mind for such a high end name. A flush one solid piece bail (like the newer shimanos) is the way they should have went.

I could see line getting in between the spool and drag knob on the lower picture. Why don't these young engineers put down their crack-berries and design things that work the first time, after all its just a fishing reel..... not something that has to work on Jupiter ! Dam that rap music mad.gif

The Fin Staal

Van Staal VM150 Spinning Reel : Van Staal is a name hardcore salt anglers correlate to a product being strong, durable, reliable, and high performing. This year they are introducing a new spinning reel that's just as solid as the traditional Van Staal reels but at an incredible price point that any angler can afford for this high end brand of product.

The VM150 is constructed from a block of cold hard aluminum that has all the goods of the $600+ models. The body, rotor, and spool are all anodized for saltwater durability. But there are changes that make the reel actually better for the everyday angler. Van Staal added ultra smooth gears with the proper lubrication unlike the other models where the gear box is oil filled. Also added is the ability to interchange the handle from left hand to right hand just like a normal spinning reel.

Stainless steel comprises essential components such as the drive gear, pinion, handle arm, bail wire, bail holder, and six smooth and durable ball bearings. The five carbon washer drag system is specified to produce 30 pounds of drag pressure but the Van Staal team has tested it to near 40 pounds.

The Van Staal VM150 has a low speed gear ratio of 4.9:1 and 33 inches of line retrieve with each revolution of the handle. This gives you the torque needed to winch a fish in and fast enough to work fast moving lures for big game species. With that said the VM150 is more of a boat reel. Though we've said it's equivalent to the other $600+ models there are differences that make this reel about half the price. There are four oil seals that keep water and other debris out but Van Staal isn't marketing this reel as being 100% waterproof. The reel can be submerged into water but leaving it for a prolonged periods of time could result in water intrusion.