Basement ventilation system alternative

Rate this topic

DaveCap

I always hear the radio ads for the Wave ventilation system to expel damp air from the basement. I'm interested as I want something better than my dehumidifier.

I did a search online and found the cost to be around $1700.

I then found a post by a guy who made his own which I'm thinking of trying. Cost for parts was around $200.

I would like to share the idea and ask for any input as to wheher or not you think it may or may not work or what improvements I could add.

He used an in-line Radon fan with a 4" openeing on either end. The fan is designed to run continuously using minimal power. He ran a piece of pvc down to the floor with an elbow and a short horizontal length with the end left open. He says it has to run to the floor as that's where the moist air has to be drawn from. The Wave one does the same. He suggests drilling some holes in the horizontal piece of PVC to cut down on the noise of the air being drawn in.

Up top, I think it's just an elbow with a length protruding out as would a dryer vent.

I'm thinking of trying it and maybe adding a humistat so it doesn't run 24/7 or in the winter.

There was some discussion of negative air possible sucking out the pilot on the hot water heater, but I think I'll be OK as I plan on using a fan with a low CFM rating.

I'll try and post one of his pics.

Any thoughts?

Curious as to why?

The guy claims it works great for him.

Others followed and said the same.

No way I'm gambling with the 1700. I figure for 200 it may be worth a shot.

It sounds more cost effective to run as opposed to my dehumidifier with respect to electricity used.

Of course I don't want to spend even the 200 if it's not going to work, but would like to know why you feel it may not.

Thanks.

Fan in the window works great for me. Because of how my house is laid out I am able to get cross ventilation from an open window in the garage which sends air down the basement stairs and out via the fan, so my entire basement gets expelled quickly and completely. smile.gif

You're getting sleepy. ....very sleepy.....

There is some merit to the idea.

The Wave and E-Z Breathe systems both seem to exhaust air from the basement and draw air from the upper levels of the house into the basement. Following on that theory, just about any form of an exhaust fan could do the same.

But, creating lower (negative) pressure in the basement might cause other issues. I doubt the HVAC system would be affected but there is a possibility of pulling ground contaminants into the basement.

still counting...

View PostThe hole won't be a problem for me.

Speedy, I understood it to be better to draw the air from the floor.

Anyone else?

My method draws air from everywhere. Before i started doing it i had major mold problems in the basement. now i have none at all.smile.gif

You're getting sleepy. ....very sleepy.....

View Posti would stick with the dehumidifier, during the summer your just going to replace the cool humid air with hot humid air from outside.cwm13.gif

Actually, it will be replaced with air from the rest of the house which won't be as humid as the outside air, I hope. Thanks for your input.

View PostThere is some merit to the idea.

The Wave and E-Z Breathe systems both seem to exhaust air from the basement and draw air from the upper levels of the house into the basement. Following on that theory, just about any form of an exhaust fan could do the same.

But, creating lower (negative) pressure in the basement might cause other issues. I doubt the HVAC system would be affected but there is a possibility of pulling ground contaminants into the basement.

Thanks for your input also.

View PostMy method draws air from everywhere. Before i started doing it i had major mold problems in the basement. now i have none at all.smile.gif

Gotcha. thanks.

I'll probably give it a whirl, mostly based on the minimal amount of electricity it will use as opposed to my dehumidifier. Supposedly.

also because mine isn't hooked to a drain. No more dumping the bin full of water every couple of days.

View PostActually, it will be replaced with air from the rest of the house which won't be as humid as the outside air, I hope. Thanks for your input.

and where do you think that air is coming from???headscratch.gif

does your house make air.....cwm13.gif

View Postand where do you think that air is coming from???headscratch.gif

does your house make air.....cwm13.gif

The cooler, air conditioned air upstairs.

If I'm wrong, please explain. I'm looking to get educated and discuss an idea.

Also, I'm under the impression that the primary goal is to keep air moving to prevent mold, and any potential mildew smells that are common in basements. So It wouldn't really matter where it came from, no?

View PostThat unit looks just like a radon removal system. I am not keen on the idea, negative pressure in the basement could back draft any boilers/water heaters. It also could increase the radon in the basement.

I did mention my concern for the negative pressure.

That's why I mentioned a low CFM fan.

Is that how a radon system is setup?

I was just trying to incorporate the fan as it's rated to run 24/7 with minimal draw.

Thanks for the reply.

View PostThe cooler, air conditioned air upstairs.

If I'm wrong, please explain. I'm looking to get educated and discuss an idea.

Also, I'm under the impression that the primary goal is to keep air moving to prevent mold, and any potential mildew smells that are common in basements. So It wouldn't really matter where it came from, no?

if you remove any air from the house it is going to be replaced with outdoor air. you may solve the basement issue but create new problems for the whole house by causing that much fresh air to constantly be drawn in.