14 replies to this topic

#1 Vinny

Vinny

Way too many!

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,251 posts

Posted June 27 2010 - 07:02 AM

OK. My wife drove me nuts for weeks over picking out a door for our front entry way. I wanted a fiberglass with wood grain finish that we would paint. I lost. We ended up with a solid mahogony door. Door is under a porch, and not in direct sunlight, and not extremely exposed to the elements. I wanted to stain. She wants to stay as natural as possible. We will stay as natural as possible.

What kind of coating should I use? Varnish? Poly? Something else?

#2 gray gables

gray gables

Way too many!

• BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,864 posts

Posted June 27 2010 - 07:19 AM

either use a watco danish oil which would keep it natural looking or use a marine varnish, your lucky it's underneath a porch that will help prolong the life of it,

#3 Neophyte

Neophyte

1,000 Post Club!

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted June 27 2010 - 11:20 AM

marine spar varnish

#4 capesams

capesams

1,000 Post Club!

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted June 27 2010 - 11:37 AM

second the oil...32 years on my mahogony floors and still going strong even with heavy traffic and pets.

#5 Chunkah

Chunkah

5,000 Post Club!

• BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,745 posts

Posted June 27 2010 - 12:04 PM

Yeah, marine varnish...

Put some new ribbon stripe mahogany on the boat this spring and put multiple coats of this stuff on it. Thinned out the first few coats then went full strength. The new wood is totally exposed to the elements and sun all day and still looks great. You'll probably have to put a coat or two on a year once you get the initial coats (follow directions on can) on but the stuff works great. I can only imagine what the door cost...this stuff is rock solid and will protect your investment.

#6 slipknot

slipknot

5,000 Post Club!

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,023 posts

Posted June 27 2010 - 05:19 PM

Euro X clear by ML Campbell
A clear, two-component polyurethane which provides an excellent high solids long-lasting finish that holds up well with exterior exposure. Is scratch and mar resistant and provides excellent moisture resistance.

That's what I would use if it were I

never have to finish it ever again.

if you don't want to deal with a 2 part, go with Epithanes varnish like what was mentioned above, thin the first coat only, then do 3 more coats. It will be glossy though.

#7 Al Sears

Al Sears

1,000 Post Club!

• BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,810 posts

Posted June 27 2010 - 06:27 PM

It has been Many years ago, how ever it seems to me that the Bosn in charge of the Capt Gig which had wooden bow deck (mahogany ?? Teak ??) how ever was thinking they added orange shellac to spar varnish to keep varnish from yellowing, Now guys this is many years ago so I my feeble memory may be playing tricks on the ol man. It did hold up well as it was exposed to Sun and Salt Water

#8 Vinny

Vinny

Way too many!

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,251 posts

Posted June 28 2010 - 05:46 AM

Thanks guys......

#9 DecoDesign

DecoDesign

• Banned Users
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted May 19 2011 - 01:43 PM

(spamming moron)

#10 Kings over Queens

Kings over Queens

Way too many!

• BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58,430 posts

Posted May 19 2011 - 03:07 PM

What kind of coating should I use? Varnish? Poly? Something else?

Ask your wife. She's the one who insisted on wood door. :th:

Spar is supposed to be good stuff by the way, but if it were me I'd make her oil it. Every year.

#11 sole man

sole man

1,000 Post Club!

• BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,491 posts

Posted May 25 2011 - 09:19 AM

Lot of great ideas here but i just want to mention a product called cetol It is great stuff and holds up to wheather well...

#12 sole man

sole man

1,000 Post Club!

• BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,491 posts

Posted May 25 2011 - 09:20 AM

Euro X clear by ML Campbell
A clear, two-component polyurethane which provides an excellent high solids long-lasting finish that holds up well with exterior exposure. Is scratch and mar resistant and provides excellent moisture resistance.

That's what I would use if it were I

never have to finish it ever again.

if you don't want to deal with a 2 part, go with Epithanes varnish like what was mentioned above, thin the first coat only, then do 3 more coats. It will be glossy though.

SK can you tell me where I can purchase this product

#13 buckmaster

buckmaster

1,000 Post Club!

• BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted June 01 2011 - 12:22 PM

Oil it...all the way...I have a number of doors on my home that were put on around 1900...a few of which were exposed to the elements...the doors that were varnished...whether they were interior or exterior...crocodiled or look like crap over the past 100 years...the doors which were oiled and maintained still looked good...after a cleaning and oil job again...they look stunning again...including two exposed to the elements. We actually just replaced one of the varnished doors which a Pella Mahagony security door, and that one will be oiled all the way.
No people were ever yet benefited by riches if their prosperity corrupted their virtue....
-Theodore Roosevelt

#14 bido

bido

5,000 Post Club!

• BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,170 posts

Posted June 01 2011 - 02:30 PM

I just used Cabot's ATO Mahogany Flame on a porch and it looks nice. It's an oil based stain.
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

#15 Ibn Ozn

Ibn Ozn

5,000 Post Club!

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,014 posts

Posted June 02 2011 - 01:32 PM

I've used Cabots ATO on the deck but you need to strip it to recoat. Now I use Sikkens Cetol instead, which only requires a far less caustic deck wash for prep. Both of these are more of a coating since they contain a varnish component. If you're looking for a penetrating oil-type finish, look into Penofin. I use it on my Teak outdoor furniture and am happy with it.