beer can chicken on a weber kettle

Rate this topic

View PostAbout how long do they need and with what adjustment on the air intakes and exhaust?

Want to start them and then hit the pool and have a cocktail and come back after an hour to check in on them.

That sounds much better than working. I need lunch.

:rav: Hello Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please.

Funny, as I am making the exact same thing for tonight.......

I read about 3 hours at 325 for a 4-5 pound bird. If you are smoking it at a lower temp, longer, obviously, and temp has to be at least in the 230-250 range to get the beer to steam......

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

It all depends on your particular grill. I usually do about 3-4 lb birds on a gas grill with indirect heat. I'm averaging about 90-120 minutes for the bird to be finished. A 5-6 lb bird will go for about 2-3 hours.

Make sure your heat is around 300 - 325, so that the beer will boil. Too low heat will not give you the effect that you want.

So, fire up your grill, see what adjustments are needed to get into the proper temperature zone, and go from there. If you're using heat all around the bird (but not directly under it), then you should be fine to go to the pool and enjoy a cocktail.

when I do beer can chickens on my weber I build a big fire on one side of the grill and place the chicken on the opposite side of the grill. I run all my vents pretty much wide open for 95% of my grilling.

As for timing, there really isn't a time. Too many variables on weather,size of chicken, wind, type of fuel and etc. Just check it occasionally and when it starts to look done take its temp with an instant read.

Oh My God....

This was the best chicken I have ever had.....

kids went for a swim in the neighborhood at the community pool and I got a drink for Daddy and came back to the best chicken I have ever had..... Even stuck a halfed lime in to enhance the breasts....

View PostOh My God....

This was the best chicken I have ever had.....

kids went for a swim in the neighborhood at the community pool and I got a drink for Daddy and came back to the best chicken I have ever had..... Even stuck a halfed lime in to enhance the breasts....

Useally I'll throw some lemons and limes in the cavity before I stick the potato in the top. Did you rub any seasoning on the outside?

View Post Even stuck a halfed lime in to enhance the breasts....

clapping.gifbiggrin.gif

I made one last night as well and it turned out perfect. I also put some vidalia onions on there too with a beef bulion cube and butter, wrapped in foil. Made for a great dinner.

Make sure you're chicken is small enough to put the grill cover on. I tried this once, when I put the grill cover on unknowingly, the chicken didn't quite clear the lid, bird got knocked over, beer all over hot coals, dust / soot all over everything. Tossed the bird in the trash and called out for pizza for dinner. Just last week while cleaning out some cabinets my wife came upon a metal frame and asked do you know what this thing is? I told her it was the beer can chicken cooker thing, after one extremely dirty look she tossed it in the trash.

I use the can holders....

I over cooked the meat by 15 degrees....(had a few cocktails) but was still super moist and left overs for lunch rocked. Skin was the best I have ever had and I will being doing this again very soon. I would say it would have been done in about hour and 15 min. I was back in like hour 45 mins....

I also do beer can chicken on the grill but I make my own rub Brown sugar, salt pepper, paprika, garlic powder onion powder, and a little rosemary....Melt a little bit of butter and smear all over the bird them rub the seasoning all over, espically under the wings. Comes out awesome!!!!

My only advice is to cook twice the amount you need. Leftover chicken in the fridge makes for a good weekend. smile.gif

I have also added apple juice to the void in the beer where I had to make sure the beer was ok beers.gif . Adds a little sweetness just like the brown suger on the outside like suggested before.

Dumb all over with a little ugly on the side.