Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Reaux

Half a Chicken or Slim Jim's

19 posts in this topic

A Study in Contrasts.

I admit that I've wandered a bit from the salt, and have been focused of late on Pike as a genteel substitute for my beloved Stripers. Anyone interested in Pike Flies will eventually land upon Simon Graham's blog, were there is a wealth of information and step - by - step instructions. It was there that I found his tutorial step - by - step for tying what he calls "The Feathered Fur Streamer" . . . I tied one exactly per instructions - what a difference from what I regard as a normal Striper fly.

It is interesting to note, at least as far as I'm concerned, the parallels between the Baltic Sea fishery for Pike and our own Stripers; but to find them you'll have to search on your own. At any rate here we go => All tied on Gamakatsu SL 12 S 6/0.

Chicken in hand, actually it feels more like a Hamster.

Your standard flat wing.

And a Streaker flat wing body hybrid with rhea as tail and body.

The same order follows of the flies on the vise.

Vertical shots same order.

The three amigos head on, well sort of.

Interesting dichotomy of styles, don't you think? They all neck down to next to nothing when wet. Personally I wouldn't hesitate to use any of these flies either in the Eastern Seaboard or in the Baltic.

Reaux

Lovely ties there... my pal Simon is a very innovative tyer and an all round nice guy. He has a great Pike Fly Fishing Articles blog as you mentioned...

View PostLovely ties there... my pal Simon is a very innovative tyer and an all round nice guy. He has a great Pike Fly Fishing Articles blog as you mentioned...

He comes across that way in his blog. I've spent many a happy hour in there.

View PostDo you cast those monsters or troll them?

I can throw them, but then I like to use and 11 weight overloaded with an intermediate 13 weight line.

Here is another picture of the 'feathered fur streamer' head on as I think the Three Amigo's' didn't do it its' fully splayed justice. Anyone interested can find the recipe on Simon's Blog - but just as a starting point the streamer starts with three schlappen feathers tied in on each side of the rear of the hook splayed.

Reaux

Gorgeous ties there! WOW!

They will surely be "money" on many a toothy critter this summer for you!

The flies are interesting, especially that furry critter, but I am REALLY impressed by the quality of your photography. Nicely done shots.

Like Whip, I'd like to see that big sucker in the water. As an exercise in the tier's craft, it's intriguing, but I'd hate to have to blind-cast anything that big all day. Does Simon recommend such flies mainly for sight casting to big pike?

That's one wild looking Fly! Really Nice. That last picture looks like it could be a Indian Head Dress cwm27.gif Love the color's

Very Nice looking Vise also what make is that?

View PostI want to see that fluffy one wet, or how it streamlines in the water. Either way...very nice.

View PostThe flies are interesting, especially that furry critter, but I am REALLY impressed by the quality of your photography. Nicely done shots.

Like Whip, I'd like to see that big sucker in the water. As an exercise in the tier's craft, it's intriguing, but I'd hate to have to blind-cast anything that big all day. Does Simon recommend such flies mainly for sight casting to big pike?

Brian and Whip I'll take some shots of the furry critter wetted out and in the water tomorrow . . . it's kinda dark now - check back tomorrow.

View PostThat's one wild looking Fly! Really Nice. That last picture looks like it could be a Indian Head Dress cwm27.gif Love the color's

Very Nice looking Vise also what make is that?

Indian Head Dress => Okay I can see that, sometimes you just don't know how something will turn out until you tie the first one.

The vise and stand/platform is a Jvise, they are made to order this one is #486. Just got it and I'm liking it alot. A full review will happen after I have tied a bunch more flies on it. Outside of the shipping charge ( from South Africa) I think the cost for what you get is very reasonable.

Reaux

View PostThe flies are interesting, especially that furry critter, but I am REALLY impressed by the quality of your photography. Nicely done shots.

Thank you, I try to keep up with others here.

Many of his flies are a variation of the theme you have seen pictured, others are nice and easy bait fish patterns that no one should be concerned with casting. I think since most of his fishing seems to be by wading that he is blind casting - I haven't the faintest idea which fly he is flailing about with though.

I've taken the liberty to snitch a sample from his blog - wish I kept records like this. Hope the Mod's understand I'm not pushing his blog, just seems too cool not to post and very instructional to boot.

"For the last 3 years I've kept a little black book with me whenever I've gone fishing to record the days events in short. Here a couple of interesting statistics from just this year.

1. Since the 8th April I've dedicated 175 days fly-fishing for pike, and had I not torn my hamstring I could have added another 14 days to that tally.

2. In those 175 days I've caught 752 pike which averages out to 4.06 snotrockets per day. I don't count fish lost during a fight but it was over a hundred.

3. I've alternated between 2 rods, one with a 60 lb mono leader & the other with a wire trace. I caught 356 with the 60 lb mono leader & 394 with wire trace. I've changed the Mono leader 12 times yet replaced 57 wire traces,& I haven't lost a single fly using either method.

4. Each day I've also alternated between either barbed hooks or barbless for my flies, and found no difference in the hook up ratio. What was alarming to see though that I can honestly say without a doubt, that barbed hooks did more damage than barbless.

5. 4 % of the pike were hooked in the scissors while 83% were hooked inside the mouth somewhere, And 13% were hooked in the far back of the mouth either through the gill rakers or through its tongue.

6. I took a total of 17 pike home for the table all were bleeding heavily from the gills.

7. Red/white has again been the killer colour combo that has caught me 174 fish .

Black/white second with 122

Orange or predominantly orange combos 96

Pink/white 81

Blue/white/purple combos 79

Chartreuse or fluorescent colour combos 76

Purple/Black 42

Yellow/white 16

Brown/white 19,

Green/yellow; Green/white combos 14

Grey/black 17

Black/Red 16

8. I used circle hooks as frequently as I possibly could, and only 4 pike out of 82 were hooked in the scissors which begs me to think, whoever says circle hooks improve your chances of hooking the pike in its scissors really is talking a loada bollocks.

9. The average weight 4,35 kg's........Average length (75-85cm)

10. I caught 5 pike with my 1st cast of the day

11. I've also caught the same pike on 3 separate occasions in 3 separate areas. Purely because of the distinctive markings found on them.

12. I've caught 493 pike on sunny days & 257 on overcast/rainy days

13. I caught 11 pike over 8 kg, 36 over 6 kg, 59 over 5 kg the rest were jacks of 2,3 & 4 kg's

14. I only fished from a boat 47 days out of the 175, the rest were all spent wading.

15. I had 4 blank days out of 175

16. I caught 24 pike that had visible signs they had been attacked by a larger pike

17. 116 pike were caught with poppers

There are several subjects which caught my eye this year which I'm going to delve into in more detail in the coming weeks."

Reaux

Reaux

Now I thought I was anal in recording my captures... I take my hat off to you at the level of recording you have done... Nice one!

David

Those flies are something else. I could never cast one, because the largest rod I have is an 8wt. You should kill the Pike with those flies. I really think you outdid yourself on those flies, WOW.