Final Beach Cart Plans............................maybe

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Muskogeee

Muskogeee

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted May 07 2010 - 3:12 PM

Ok so Lowes didn't have all of the fittings that would have been needed for my original plan so I redesigned it using only elbows, crosses, and tees. I borrowed a lot of the design from Bill in Port Orange
The inner dimensions are 24" x 40" I have an 18/18/36 cooler so I designed it around that, with room for sand spikes on the side.
I may even make a basket that slides on top of the cooler to hold bait bucket and tackle boxes/bags
I ordered some 13 inch wheels from northern tool, should be here next week but I'm building the rest tomorrow.
The axel will be a 5/8" threaded steel rod that will go through a smaller snug fitting pvc pipe then through the middle of the bottom support beam and probably be epoxy'd in.
I have a curved metal rod to use for the handle like Bill's and It will be secured into the center shaft on the front with removable/adjustable pins. The shaft will be reinforced with a smaller 1" pvc pipe epoxy'd inside which the handle will in turn slide into snugly.

If anyone has any ideas lemme know. Also everyone's been saying that UV light is bad for PVC, how about a few heavy coats of krylon UV protect clear coat? think that would help?

• -

#2 jamesdart

jamesdart
  • Elite Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted May 07 2010 - 3:25 PM

fancy plan for a beach cart. i wouldnt worry about the UV unless you are going to store it outside for the next 10 years.

• -

#3 theshadow

theshadow
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,167 posts
  • LocationX Cape Crowd now Rangeley

Posted May 07 2010 - 3:29 PM

Just a thought.....When you raise the front up to haul it the rear is going to drop so you may be dragging in the sand.

• -

#4 speedracer

speedracer
  • Way too many!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,604 posts

Posted May 07 2010 - 3:33 PM

Where does the motor go?

• -
You're getting sleepy. ....very sleepy.....

#5 Charleston

Charleston
  • Way too many!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,222 posts
  • LocationJackson NJ but born and raised in Massachusetts

Posted May 07 2010 - 3:36 PM

Just a thought.....When you raise the front up to haul it the rear is going to drop so you may be dragging in the sand.

Good thinking;

Take a couple "Tees" and "stand-off" the axle for the wheels. You need to raise the cart off the ground a bit.You will also need wider "bigger" tires.

• -

Went to see the whatfixer.

#6 Muskogeee

Muskogeee

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted May 07 2010 - 3:40 PM

Possibly, won't know the exact measurements needed on the butt end until its mostly assembled and I find the comfort zone with the handle and a full load.

• -

#7 warehamWoody

warehamWoody
  • Elite Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted May 07 2010 - 3:57 PM

looking good, can I ask which program are you using to design/illustrate this?

• -

#8 Muskogeee

Muskogeee

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted May 07 2010 - 4:04 PM

Ok I changed it up a bit, this was what I originally planned on doing but decided to try and save a little time and 4 dollars .
All this takes is an extra 2 crosses, and as you can see the amount of incline needed before the back actually drags across the ground is pretty high.

• -

#9 Muskogeee

Muskogeee

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted May 07 2010 - 4:04 PM

looking good, can I ask which program are you using to design/illustrate this?

its google sketchup

• -

#10 warehamWoody

warehamWoody
  • Elite Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted May 07 2010 - 4:05 PM

thanks, looks pretty helpfull

• -

#11 Texican

Texican
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted May 07 2010 - 4:09 PM

I would fill in the bottom pvc pipes with that spray foam that hardens up. Might make it a little stonger and give you a better loading capacity.

• -

#12 Muskogeee

Muskogeee

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted May 07 2010 - 4:17 PM

I would fill in the bottom pvc pipes with that spray foam that hardens up. Might make it a little stonger and give you a better loading capacity.

i duno how much strength foam would add but I might put some wooden dowels in them, depending on how much they cost.

• -

#13 Texican

Texican
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted May 07 2010 - 4:35 PM

i duno how much strength foam would add but I might put some wooden dowels in them, depending on how much they cost.

I've seen some of that foam stuff that had some tools intentially put in and the tools were imopossible to get out. Maybe put in a corksrew wire the lenght of the pipe and then the foam. Or maybe I'm just and try to overthink things.

• -

#14 126andy

126andy
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,224 posts
  • LocationCalverton, NY

Posted May 07 2010 - 5:31 PM

The cart looks good can't wait to see it all together. Boy that's a lot of elbows & tees but they make it all come together. I think the tires that you odered will work just fine with the cart.

• -
My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be

#15 Eddy

Eddy
  • Scholarly Gentleman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76,411 posts

Posted May 07 2010 - 6:50 PM

4 wheels.
+
rope to pull it.

• -