Rubber paint on my aluminum boat? PLEASE HELP!

Rate this topic

Hey guys, I know it sounds hack but I was telling a friend about how I am grinding off layers of fiberglass and paint off the bottom of my aluminum boat and was wondering how I could re finish it, I was going to use glov-it or coat-it but the pitted oxidation on the hull with surely cause either of those to peel. I will do the inside of the boat as well, the way he was talking it sounds like a good alternative. Have you guys ever heard of this? I would imagine I would have to re finish it every couple years but I would have to anyway. Any advise helps, Thanks!!!

Fancy catches fisherman, simple catches fish

I doubt any of those spary/coat/rubber products will hold up at all. I was surprised at how thin it went on. I'd wait for some more experienced ideas, I know something is REALLLLLLY popular, want to say "rhino liner", like the stuff for your truck bed I think.

its funny you mention durabak, i looked on their website and got theyre number, i plan on calling them tomorrow. The pitting is pretty bad, I had to grind 7 layers of bottom paint off, and some fiberglass, there is caulking on there i have to remove as well. I would optimally like to put durabak on it but i am not sure if it will hold. There is some oxidaton inside the pitting and i cant get it off unless you could recomend some sort of chemical striping agent. Thanks

Fancy catches fisherman, simple catches fish

How big, how old, and how much is it worth to you?

I ask, because there are some chemicals you can use to clean out the corrosion, but doing so may eat through semi-corroded aluminum, which wouldn't otherwise be removed. I might consider scrapping it for aluminum scrap value at the junkyard and get another one. I have regularly seen aluminum boats on the cheap.

If you want to try and clean it, you can use what's called "on&off". BE VERY CAREFUL. It is a very powerful acid. It removes ANYTHING I have tried it on, including rust(like not just stains, but ACTUAL rust) and it will actually ENTIRELY STRIP galvanized steel of it's baked on galvanized finish. It's some pretty hardcore stuff. It will clean out the corrosion tho.

View PostWhat if you use a etching primer and then paint it. Paint the inside maybe with truck bed liner stuff.

That's pretty!What did you use?drool.gif

It wouldn't pay you more to walk on water,than to wear a crown of thorns,

It wouldn't pay me more to bury you rich,than to bury you poor...

biggrin.gif The guy that painted it fo us said he used a etching primer that he uses whent he paints Sprint Car Wings (Made out of Alluminum) And then it was painted with a Hummer blue paint. It is not keeped in the water other that a day or two at a time. Time will tell to see how it holds up

I researched this last year for my 30 year old Mirrocraft lake fisherman. It has a leaky rivet that I cant get to to fix because of the false keel

Line X it. They use a special primer for aluminum. Then spray it. Check out there site. There are pics. Only problem I have the nearest line x dealer is 2.5 hours away.

"Growing old is inevitable growing UP is optional"
"Rock and Roll never Dies it just passes out"

I painted an aluminum canoe with etching primer and then a certain type of paint with poor results. I can look at the can for what it was.

i power washed then sanded it down and did everything right only to have the paint peel two years later. I would definitely use the truck liner stuff inside.