haddock rod with sensitive tip

Rate this topic

Ryan H

View PostWhy the comment about tying knots with braid? I can't see myself ever going back to straight mono for any salt fishing.

Some people don't know how to tie knots very well. I for one agree with you.

Anyways, for under $100, I would get an uglystick tiger lite, they are light, responsive, affordable and no one would dare steal it from you on a cod trip as it's bright yellow.

in my opinion i have tried braid and hated it i went out 4 times and after that 4th time i took off all the baid off my four rods expensive and through it away it was my worst fishing experience ever.

mono rules braid druels

Your reasoning for hating braid is pretty vague. Go with what you like I guess but saying "mono rules braid druels" and giving no reason better than your not capable of tieing knots very well seems kind of kooky.gif I personally got outfished one trip probably every 4 fish to my 1 because I was jigging on heavy mono while my buddies were fishing braid and I wasn't feeling the light hits nearly as well.

The Best Day to go fishing is any day that ends in Y

• 2 weeks later...

I fish cod and haddock with those Shimano Freestyle jigging rods. I love it. The rods are a bit short, but I pulled 30 pounds hake out of 600' of water no problem. The spinnings are a bit soft but will do great for your average fish and you will not risk overruns when casting. Older fishermen on the boat are always checking them out since they are so light...

My 2c.

There's a Keepah in the Koolah!

• 1 month later...

I've ONLY used braid for bottom fishing from 50 to 1000 feet so in all honesty I don't know what it's like to use mono. but I have to tie a knot with braid once every 4-5 trips or so, and only when a particularly nasty piece of bottom pops me off at the alberto knot or on the braid. setup: 65# braid to 7-10 foot piece of 60# mono top shot (more for deeper water), then the rig (50# mono) with a few overhand knots above the sinker. 95% of the time I bust off at those overhand knots, a few times on the dropper, very rarely on the braid. even then the biggest annoyance is getting my spool of mono. shrugs.

Jason