VS channel-muskie on a whopper plopper??

Slick706

WTH the a whopper plopper? its a lure they are fishing right now on Versus channel show is hunt for big fish. They are showing you how to make this lure. 2 Dudes has over 30 muskie on this lure in 1 day!! They mentioned a link to a site that shows you how to make this lure. Am i a bit out of touch in fishing for muskie and this is already a well known lure? redface.gif

Edit- 30 fish over a month...duh!! redface.gif

I saw that same episode... Awesome lure. I think it is one that Larry DAhlberg makes himself. So I don't think you can buy one... you have to buy the materials and make your own. Don't think they caught 30 muskies in one day, it was over the coarse of their season up there. Still a lot of fish though.

Dahlberg is awesome... He makes an awesome lure, then shows you how to do it yourself instead of trying to market it and profit for himself... clapping.gif for him.

View PostIt is a pretty common style of bait. The Top Raider and Pacemaker are two examples that are commonly available. Easier to throw than a bucktail or glider and the hits are positively explosive!

Beat me to it. Several hardbait versions of this on the market. I made a few of my own prop baits for muskies this year.

Hoping for/looking forward to the explosion on one of my top water plugs this spring. drool.gif

"Sea shore washed by the suds and the foam, been here so long he's got to callin it home"

There may be many styles of this bait on the market but there are NONE with a rubber fin. What makes this lure unique is that it is indestructible. My buddy got a smashing hit three years ago on a Poe's Awaker and the fish tore the fin right out of the bait. Also, you catch one fish on this type of topwater and you are retuning that bait for quite some time. Sometimes the fin is FLATTENED out by a fish, literally. The tuning that you are doing on the water costs you fish, period. With other types of fish you can play with baits but with muskies you don't tune baits when on the water. It's a major mistake and will cost you fish. You might not even realize it.

The rubber tail makes this truly unique-there are none out there. No tuning- just fishing.

DaveC <0))))))))))))><

View PostThere may be many styles of this bait on the market but there are NONE with a rubber fin. What makes this lure unique is that it is indestructible. My buddy got a smashing hit three years ago on a Poe's Awaker and the fish tore the fin right out of the bait. Also, you catch one fish on this type of topwater and you are retuning that bait for quite some time. Sometimes the fin is FLATTENED out by a fish, literally. The tuning that you are doing on the water costs you fish, period. With other types of fish you can play with baits but with muskies you don't tune baits when on the water. It's a major mistake and will cost you fish. You might not even realize it.

The rubber tail makes this truly unique-there are none out there. No tuning- just fishing.

I was waiting for you to chime in Dave. How would this lure compare with metal fined lures if you had an unlimited supply and could just fish a new one after every fish caught? Would you be able to catch 30 fish in a month? We don't know how often he fished with it but I have to believe he fished it every day of the month, probably two anglers in the boat as well...your thoughts?