Bug Bond Review

Rate this topic

Chris Newsome

At the risk of beating the light cured glue subject to death, here's a few flies I spun up using the Bug Bond product. I really like the squeeze bottles used by BB versus the syringe style used TF & CCG. The bottle allows for better control of the material. The BB comes in three viscosities - lite, original and plus and all three are much "thinner" than TF core. I would compare the viscosity of BB Plus to that of the TF Finish. This makes constructing surf candy and spoon flies more difficult with BB. It would be nice if a "thicker" BB was available for these flies. The high viscosity of the BB Original is great for coating thread of completed flies for durability and a professional look. The BB lite seems so thin that I haven't found much use for it. I also like applying the BB original on top of dome stick on eyes and allowing the BB to seep slightly into the fly materials before curing the glue - this helps secure the eyes and keep the dome portion of the eye from delaminating from the fly which is common with these eyes if not coated with some type of glue.

Stuck Up Shrimp with BB on the foam carapace. The BB is flexible when applied thinly. The purpose of the foam carapace and weight dumbells is to give the shrimp better posturing when bounced on the bottom... the "head" of the shrimp floats off the bottom on the pause.

Bunny Surf Candy w/ EP sparkle brush for belly. The thinness of the BB makes it good for penetrating all the way through the sparkle brush.525

Size 4 grass shrimp with fluorofibre carapace coated with BB. Of all the light cured glues that I've tried, the BB seems to have the least tackiness once cured... final product feels similar to 2part Epoxy... no coating with nail polish needed.

Simple tie with EP streamer brush and rabbit strip... example of coating eyes with BB.

I'll try to bring the BB to TieFest this weekend for everybody to compare.

I too have been using Bug Bond for the past 3 weeks, and to my mind it is a suprior product to both Tuffleye Core & Finish, although I have to say, Tuffleye Flex is entirely different, and I continue to it use on a regular basis.

The one huge advantatage Bug Bond has against other similar products is without doubt the fact that it leaves no sticky residue, and allied to it's ultra fast curing time, (3-6 seconds) that very fact means it is so much more versatile than the other products.

Besides the normal outside coating applications utilised in tying surf candies, etc., you can comb it into baitfish patterns, or siliclone types, maneuvre the materials to the shape you want, give it a quick zap, and you have a profiled baitfish without having a visible outside coating of Tuffleye, Silicone or whatever.

Notwithstanding that, you can use Bug Bond in conjunction with the mushie style of tying, or to seep into the base of long tailed craft fur flies a la Borski style, to either set it at an angle to the hook shank, or to guard against fouling

In fact, I have found so many uses for Bug Bond during this last 4 weeks, that is not possible with any of the products which leave a sticky residue, that whilst I can't see me using Tuffleye Core or Finish ever again it has also, almost made redundant my Softex, Soft Body, and Plasi Dip, stock.

Bug Bond does have a slight flex when cured, but it is nothing like that of Tuffleye Fex, which as I have already said, IMO, is also a great product, and one that I will continue to use, in addition to Bug Bond.

Genty

Genty,

You're spot on... there are loads of uses for this stuff. I'm pretty amped.

Bigflies,

Fly Fishing Legends to Attend TieFest Feb. 27

Press release from
CCA

Several of the nation's most celebrated fly fishing tyers and casters will appear at the eighth annual TieFest, the area's premier fly-fishing show, Saturday, Feb. 27, at the Kent Narrows Yacht Club from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

"Lefty Kreh, Bob Popovics, Bob Clouser, and Steve Silverio along with a number of other fly fishing experts have already agreed to appear at TieFest," said Tony Friedrich, executive director, Coastal Conservation Association Maryland (
CCA
MD), which sponsors the event.

"Not only can fly fishing enthusiasts get a break from the winter doldrums at this event, they will be able to learn tying and casting techniques from anglers who are truly legends in our sport."

The event is free of charge and will feature nationally recognized fly-tyers, a host of fishing guides, equipment manufacturers, and opportunities to improve fishing skills.

Casting lessons are even provided by seasoned instructors. It's best if you bring your own fly rod for the lesson. Sign up sheets are available. Kids under 16 will be given preference with times for casting lessons.

"Tiefest is a grassroots effort to enhance the sport of fly fishing," Friedrich said. "During the past few years, the event has grown to include thousands of individuals that enjoy teaching and learning different aspects of the sport. Tiefest is the only event in this area where beginning fly anglers can talk with experts like Kreh and Popovics to improve their skills."

Further information can be obtained from Friedrich,

View PostGreat work as alway's Chris. I understand you still need to cure it with a light correct? I'm hoping to aquire some from a friend coming over from the UK. I imagine if it is a hit there it won't be long before it will be available here in the States.

Yes it is cured by way of UV light, and if you use the correct torch supplied with the acrylic, it takes just 3 -6 seconds to fully cure....I am sure when you get your kit, you will be impressed, as another thing which I forgot to mention, is that scientific tests (i.e.whacking a surf candy type fly 100 times against a brick wall) whilst scuffing the surface a little, showed it to be pretty well shatter proofwink.gifwink.gif

Genty

View PostYes it is cured by way of UV light, and if you use the correct torch supplied with the acrylic, it takes just 3 -6 seconds to fully cure....I am sure when you get your kit, you will be impressed, as another thing which I forgot to mention, is that scientific tests (i.e.whacking a surf candy type fly 100 times against a brick wall) whilst scuffing the surface a little, showed it to be pretty well shatter proofwink.gifwink.gif

Tks. I have a Tuffeye a CLear cure & a couple of UV lights ( As you would say Torch ) Will they work?? If I get any other lights I'll have enough to open up a Lighting Shop! cwm27.gif

Excellent ties Chris!!

Either way you slice it, these 1 part acrylic resins are a welcome replacement for epoxy...Whether your using Tuffleye, Bug Bond or CCG.

It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. ~John Steinbeck

View PostTks. I have a Tuffeye a CLear cure & a couple of UV lights ( As you would say Torch ) Will they work?? If I get any other lights I'll have enough to open up a Lighting Shop! cwm27.gif

I have used Bug Bond with several different UV lights and found it to cure finebiggrin.gif I even cured some on a piece of paper with my cheap light and cut it in half with a razor blade to make sure it cured right through. I cant guarantee that your light will work so maybe it might be worth contacting David from BB and giving him the details of your lights.

In my opinion BB is a very good product,especially for using as an adhesive to attach eyes. The only problem I have with BB and tuffleye etc. is the cost. When you are creating Epoxy type heads on pike and saltwater flies a bottle dont last long. I think the cost issue will sort itself out as more people start using this kind of product and the technology matures. UV resin is already finding its way into craft stores in the UK and the craft market over here is far larger than fly tying.

I agree with you about the cost of these uv products. The Bug Bond looks like a better deal because of the tackiness factor. CCG looks better because of the price overall. I do not make a lot of salt water flies, but I do make some. I can use it on other freshwater flies as well, but that is a lot of money. BB is 108 dollars to ship to my house. I just checked on that. That is more more than I paid for either of my fly rods. cwm31.gif