Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Beermonger

Abrasion resistant fishing line

24 posts in this topic

View PostThanks everyone! very helpful..Mono it is then. so why do all of these braided line manufacturers promote it as the best for abrasion resistance? thats a bit misleading isnt it

because it IS more abrasion resistant in normal situations. rubbing on rocks, rubbing on sand, rubbing against pilings, braid is your best bet.

it's pretty confusing but the basics are this. reefs have a TON of surface area, with millions (slight exaggeration) of tiny sharp edges per square inch, making it harder to cut the single thick strand of mono, but easy to cut the multiple thin strands that make up braid

View PostI suppose it was naive..I just always thought it was their main selling point and havent seen it on the package of too many mono lines.

Can anyone recommend a good mono then? Do any have a smaller diameter than others or simply cast further?

Ande line has been around probably longer than you & is proven

Berkley Big Game line is also good & inexpensive. You can get a 1/4 lb spool for under $10.00

Braid is expensive but a lot easier to cast because of the diameter of the line. A 30lb Braid will equal 8lb Mono in size ( diameter ) but will cost around $25-$30 for a 300 yd spool. A spool of 30lb test Mono will cost you around $10.00 for 600 yds! Braid has no strech to it,mono does. Braid will brake a lot faster in rocks,coral ETC than mono.

I was stationed out in the pacific on an island that was corral central and found that if you can keep fish away from it by all means do. If not as in the case of catching sharks, that would would make screaming runs through the corral heads, I found that reducing the drag reduced the number of cut offs. Of course you always run the chance of getting spooled. Just bring lots of extra tackle and spare line. Tell us how you do

I'd use a strong mono leader and whatever you can to best put the hammer down on those fish as soon as you hook them. Chances are that if they hit the rocks you are going to snag or break, and lose them anyway.

I also think that loosening the drag on a fish stuck in the rocks is the best way to get them out of there. You fool them into thinking they are free--wait a second for them to come out--and then hammer 'em.

I like Yo-Zuri hybrid line for abrasion resistance

I used it when I used to go toggin off my boat - though it was better then other Mono's I had tried.

It's not cheap but I think it's worth the price bump

Use Spiderwire EZ Braid. Its an introductory braid, with a VERY heavy coating of whatever braid is coated with so its easy on guides and fingers and acts sort of like mono if youre trying braid for the first time.

I did the same sort of test that Flytyingguy posted, and 50# EZ Braid was far more abrasion resistand that 40# Stren mono.

You guys who use mono around rocks, but dont like the stretch, give it a shot, you wont regret it.

View PostMost of them alike, Ande, Sufix, Trilene are great, the European manufactures tend to increase the LB test of their lines compared to the US but it's only a marketing way, most of the lines today seems and act alike, From Europa i like the Trabucco lines (my chois), Maxima and Balsax, i also think the "Red Cajun" mono lines are great and also very cheap in bulks.

Just choose what ever on sale wink.gif

saw some good deals on red cajun in k-mart. 300 yd spools for @ $4.

The 1/4 LB bulks (about 1400 yards) are much cheaper, I saw it on sale just 6.95 $ (10LB), very good lines and looks cool on my reel to smile.gif

View Postsaw some good deals on red cajun in k-mart. 300 yd spools for @ $4.

Wow thanks guys! very informative bunch..To think I was about to spool all of my rods with braided line. I'll go with mono and try to keep the fish away from the coral. I can see them trying to go up and over the coral after getting hooked.