Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Beermonger

Abrasion resistant fishing line

24 posts in this topic

I am going to be fishing around coral, barnacles and other highly abrasive surfaces and I want a line that will hold up. I read somewhere that you should have atleast 50 lb test mono for these types of conditions. If I have a 30 lb braid will it give me similar performance as far as resisting abrasion?

30lb braid will not get you the same abrasion resistance as 50lb mono because 30lb braid has a small diameter of 6-8lb mono, depending on braid manufacture. Would you use 6-8lb mono for fishing in coral, barnacles, probably not. Your best bet is to go with 50lb mono, or braid with diameter equivalent to 50lb mono so the coral won't cut thru your line as easily. Hope this helps.

From a very bad experience of fishing from the rocks with braid, i can tell you that even 100LB premium quality braid will not give you the abrasion ressistant of a 50LB mono, I'm using 65LB to 100LB braid in that conditions, but i'm using a very long 65 to 85LB Mono/Fluoro shock leader of about 15-20 yard, most of the problems with the rough surface starts when you bring the fish close to the rocky zone and this is where most of the cutoff's happen.

BTW, i'm talking about heavy tackle for big fish.

i like the thick braid with a thick fluoro leader. i've never fished a reef, but i have scuba dived near corals and their cutting ability is insane! id think the thicker the better smile.gif good luck

View PostReefs ?, Mono ! icon14.gif

What Mono he's using, i didn't understand confused.gif

headscratch.gif What don't you understand?? He's using Ande Back Country Mono line.

What he is saying that any braid no matter what brand will brake on rocks a lot faster than Mono.

View Postheadscratch.gif What don't you understand?? He's using Ande Back Country Mono line.

What he is saying that any braid no matter what brand will brake on rocks a lot faster than Mono.

because braid is made up of many tiny lines smile.gif the video isn't working for me

I don't want to say what i have heard...it's related to baconpig2.gifredface.gif, man I'm getting old biggrin.gif

View Postheadscratch.gif What don't you understand?? He's using Ande Back Country Mono line.

Thanks everyone! very helpful..Mono it is then. so why do all of these braided line manufacturers promote it as the best for abrasion resistance? thats a bit misleading isnt it

A little bit naive question isn't it ? usually, the manufacturers will tell you what sales better.

View PostThanks everyone! very helpful..Mono it is then. so why do all of these braided line manufacturers promote it as the best for abrasion resistance? thats a bit misleading isnt it

I suppose it was naive..I just always thought it was their main selling point and havent seen it on the package of too many mono lines.

Can anyone recommend a good mono then? Do any have a smaller diameter than others or simply cast further?

Most of them alike, Ande, Sufix, Trilene are great, the European manufactures tend to increase the LB test of their lines compared to the US but it's only a marketing way, most of the lines today seems and act alike, From Europa i like the Trabucco lines (my chois), Maxima and Balsax, i also think the "Red Cajun" mono lines are great and also very cheap in bulks.

Just choose what ever on sale wink.gif

View PostI suppose it was naive..I just always thought it was their main selling point and havent seen it on the package of too many mono lines.

Can anyone recommend a good mono then? Do any have a smaller diameter than others or simply cast further?