fly fishing show? Marlborough, MA

Rate this topic

fisher6280

It looked like the show was a little thinner this year than last year and more so than 2 years ago. Looks like the economy hasn't spared anyone.

I was a little dissapointed that the only seminar I really wanted to see was about fishing the salmon river in pulaski and the guy doing the seminar was apparently a no-show and no one at the show had any details. I spoke with one of the show staff and they said that they hadn't spoken with the guy and were hoping that he was okay and not hurt or something.

View PostI went on saturday and had a really great time

All in all, much better than previous years and well worth the $15 entry I thought.

Mark

Mark,

I am really glad to hear this! Every year we see many folks saying how boring or same old-same old the show (all shows) were. Not sure how one could reinvent a show....short of getting "new" folks to come in that never did the show. I really appreciate these shows as it gives me (and other folks) a chance to find some new tying materials, see and chat with friends I have not had time to catch up with and just spend a nice day out during the winter.....

HC

It was a much different crowd and feel than last year.

Most vendors reported that folks were just more willing to buy. I found that we had alot more folks come around knowing and looking to spend, not like last year where it seemed like a battle to even enter into a conversation with a potential customer.

I don't know what the numbers were, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were on par with last year. But the big difference was that the crowd was just more inclined to show up and do business.

If it stays like this I think we'll start to see rod makers come back.

View PostMark,

I am really glad to hear this! Every year we see many folks saying how boring or same old-same old the show (all shows) were. Not sure how one could reinvent a show....short of getting "new" folks to come in that never did the show. I really appreciate these shows as it gives me (and other folks) a chance to find some new tying materials, see and chat with friends I have not had time to catch up with and just spend a nice day out during the winter.....

HC

I went last year for the first time and thought the $15 entry fee was worth it only because I dropped over $300 and saw a significant savings on the stuff I bought that more than covered the entry fee. However this year I don't need any gear and after how much I spent in total on new rods and reels last year, I really don't have the money to spend on more rods and reels. That and the gas money for a 2hr drive each way convinced me to skip the show this year. I don't tie flies, so $15 to just look around seemed like a waste of money to me. If I need/want something in the future, I would consider going again. I think everyone should attend a show at least once for the experience, especially if you are newere to the sport, but for me personally, been there, done that.

View Post

It might get me to come back. Last year was the first time I went to a show, so I had nothing to judge by. I was a bit disappointed by the lack of tackle manufacturers there (that didn't seem to stop me from spending money). I also heard a lot of folks comment that the show had been better in the past.

View PostIt might get me to come back. Last year was the first time I went to a show, so I had nothing to judge by. I was a bit disappointed by the lack of tackle manufacturers there (that didn't seem to stop me from spending money). I also heard a lot of folks comment that the show had been better in the past.

By all account 15 years ago it was elbow to elbow. The area supported both the Marlboro show as well as another one in Wilmington.

But then again, its been 15 years. In that span of time the industry really took off, became established and we saw the economy soar and then tank.

I think were just starting to see things normalize on two levels - the maintenance of the industry after a number of folks "discovered" it and the economy starting to recover.

View PostIt was a much different crowd and feel than last year.

yup, my read of the crowd was " hey we made it and we're still fishing..." after a tough year for everyone we needed a mid winter break.

all the vendors i spoke to reported good business and i really enjoyed slowing it down a bit and chatting to people - I only had $60 to spend after the entry money, but I shopped around to find some bargains and pick up stuff I either needed to handle or was just hard to find.

this year there seemed to be more tying stuff and less high end outfitters.

All in all I really appreciated spending time with fishing people talking about fishing, rather like going fishing and catching nothing but still enjoying the day on the beach or the river as a day well spent.

Mark.

Disclaimer: the above may not represent the actual views of the writer, but may have been expressed sarcastically/ ironically with the sole intention of providing humour. That notwithstanding, the writer retains the right to be emotionally, psychologically or alcohol/substance impaired at the time of writing

(*member formerly known as 'guernseybass')

The booths were down. Once again no major rod companies. Lots of fishermen go to evaluate rods. In their case the shows a disapointment with the lack of variety at hand. Maybe fly shops should bring their own demos to make up for the loss.

People were there buying, having a good time, in great spirits. The show was smaller than last year, but others have said the show had improvements and were more in a buying mode.

Nothing flies by me without a hook!
If my fly is down, That's a good thing.

Public Access.....It's a shore thing. My daily requirement of "Vitamin Sea".

Capt. Ray Stachelek

View PostThe booths were down. Once again no major rod companies. Lots of fishermen go to evaluate rods.

I did. I just wasn't there to evaluate G-loomis, Scott etc wink.gif

and to be honest If I was choosing a rod to buy I'd rather spend a couple of hours at a local store when they would't find it a PITA to rig up two weights each of three or four rod makers for me to compare and contrast and overline etc.

Disclaimer: the above may not represent the actual views of the writer, but may have been expressed sarcastically/ ironically with the sole intention of providing humour. That notwithstanding, the writer retains the right to be emotionally, psychologically or alcohol/substance impaired at the time of writing

(*member formerly known as 'guernseybass')

Gentlemen,

Many of the major rod company are showing at Somerset, NJ this weekend. Scott. T&T, TFO, March Brown, Sage, Hardy (and Grays?) & SA. I didn't see Winsted, Albright or Redington listed.

Cortland, Rio, Airflo and SA in the line department.

The Somerset Show is bigger, but it serves a much larger population area.

50 Million people live within 80 miles of Somerset, NJ. Lefty Kreh is coming this year. It has been a very long time since this fine gentelman has graced the Somerset Show.

View PostGentlemen,...

50 Million people live within 80 miles of Somerset....

1992 approximately 8% of the population of the U.S. lived within a 50 mile radius of Somerset NJ... If anyone runs into a fat old man walking with a limp and grinning ear to ear. Say hello and introduce yourself to Bernie. Me pops.

I hope ya'll have fun this year.

Life is too precious to fish ugly flies.

M-sax - your Pops and I are probable of an age.

Tell him to look for a old fat guy wearing a Red BoSox World Series Champions baseball hat or a Navy Blue Nor'east Saltwater baseball hat. Friday and Saturday.

I'll buy him a drafe and tell him what a fine sone he has.

wink.gif

View PostGentlemen,

Many of the major rod company are showing at Somerset, NJ this weekend. Scott. T&T, TFO, March Brown, Sage, Hardy (and Grays?) & SA. I didn't see Winsted, Albright or Redington listed.

Cortland, Rio, Airflo and SA in the line department.

The Somerset Show is bigger, but it serves a much larger population area.

50 Million people live within 80 miles of Somerset, NJ. Lefty Kreh is coming this year. It has been a very long time since this fine gentelman has graced the Somerset Show.

I am toying with the idea of checking out Somerset. I live on the CT shoreline and according to Google Maps the drive to Somerset should be about the same for me as the drive to Marlborough.