abu 7000cl level wind removal

Rate this topic

zimmy

The hollow bar that contains the level wind worm gear should come right off without cutting.

Once you take the left plate off, there's a small collar that holds the geared end of the worm gear in place. Remove that, pull the worm gear out, and the hollow bar should come right off too.

It's your call on removing the top crossbar. I find that the edge of the slotted bottom, where the top of the level wind guide rides, can abrade the line (at least with mono).

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

One of our own, Jerry Foran (SOL name "hookless" I think) may have the bars you need. By the way, I just had Jerry service two 7000C reels and he was fair, fast and thorough.highfive.gifbiggrin.gif

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts" Jack Johnson.

View PostOne of our own, Jerry Foran (SOL name "hookless" I think) may have the bars you need. By the way, I just had Jerry service two 7000C reels and he was fair, fast and thorough.highfive.gifbiggrin.gif

Jerry is a great guy. I bought from him two of the conversion bars for my 7001i and 7001hs and then I went back to the level wind on the 7001i for bridge fishing. It is really easy to remove the level wind and to insert the conversion bar. The kit comes with instructions, easier than replacing a light bulb.wink.gif

View PostHatteras jacks sells level wind removal kits for the 7000 series for 20 bucks it includes the cross bar. Hope this helps. Just google Hatteras Jacks and you should be able to find his site. I am ordering 2 of these myself this week for my 7001I reels.

When I bought a bar from HJ a few years back, they were made of aluminum & did not fit well; distorted my frame screwing them in.

View PostOne of our own, Jerry Foran (SOL name "hookless" I think) may have the bars you need. By the way, I just had Jerry service two 7000C reels and he was fair, fast and thorough.highfive.gifbiggrin.gif

Foran bar is made of stainless steel & fits perfectly. I'd opt for Jerry's...

View PostZimmy...from one Abu Ambassadeur fan to another and for being the gentleman you been on this site for all these years, I'll send you a conversion crossbar for the 7XXX reel free...just PM me your address...

Poppy

Free is good too, but if you have issues, contact Mr. Foran.

View PostZimmy...from one Abu Ambassadeur fan to another and for being the gentleman you been on this site for all these years, I'll send you a conversion crossbar for the 7XXX reel free...just PM me your address...

Poppy

Wow, thank you very much smile.gif Don't know what to say other than thanks and it is greatly appreciated.

• 7 years later...