uncommon newell reels? colors/models?

Rate this topic

bill22

View PostWhat is the difference with the red vs black ones?

Made in USA?

Yeap, made in USA.

Main differences between the colored, and the black newells: Color of the sideplates, cross bars, handle knob and base (red or purple obviously). Also some "P" parts, such as stainless lever, clicker, star drag and handle. It's basically like a hybrid beween an "S" and "P", just without the aluminum spool. Internals are the same, so you don't necessarily gain performance over the "S".

Runs a tad more than the "S" series, which for me personally makes it worth it. I'm not sure of the rarity or collectability as I'm sure it's a limited run, but I'm betting there are people that are buying them and putting them away.

Newell has made many models of their reels over the years. I believe some of the oldest actually look like penn reels with "Newell" written on the side. This makes sense because Carl Newell originally started by making upgrades for penn reels. One of the first graphite models were known as "Blackie" because of the lack of the steel ring around the edge. You can also identify a Blackie by the lack of a letter indicating the series in front of the model #. EX: 235-5. Other graphite models include the G and S series.

Newell also produced P series reels. These were originally a very highly valued rarity until Carl Newell recently made another limited production run of them. Fortunately when the reel was released, the price tag (around $200 and up) closely matched the value of the old P series, so they really weren't devalued at all.

Recently Newell has put out the new R (red) and PR (purple) series. These blend P and graphite series technology into one. This series has the updated steel handle, graphite spool, and steel clicker that is less prone to wear. I believe the black graphite Newells also now come with a steel clicker.

On a side note one of the rarer Newells that I saw on ebay years ago was purple (but a completely different shade and style from the new ones). As the story goes this was a test Newell as was only given to employees, which is common in the reel manufacturing world.

On a personal note, my favorite Newell is the S 235-5. It's perfectly balanced, casts amazing, and is very durable. I've personally caught 100lbs+ tarpon, sharks, along with kingfish, barracuda, jacks, and cobia on that reel. Also it is good to note that if you plan on fishing the beach, never take a graphite series Newell, always use a P. The graphite series are terrible in the sand, you'll end up taking the whole thing apart and washing every piece to get that last bit of sand out.

I hope this answers and questions you may have about Newells. PM me for more info if you need it. Also, use [ Chark ] to buy your Newells. They have every model in stock and are extremely reliable.

-Tony

View PostOne of the first graphite models were known as "Blackie" because of the lack of the steel ring around the edge. You can also identify a Blackie by the lack of a letter indicating the series in front of the model #. EX: 235-5. Other graphite models include the G and S series.

Actually, the original "blackies" had aluminum spools, and didn't have anything but the model number--no letter before like G, C, S etc, and nothing after--no F, no -5, no -3.6 wink.gif

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

View PostMy favorite Blackfish reel is a Newell P220M (3.6). I have not see too many of them.

There was also a very early P-200 M series that had 4:1 gears, just to complicate matters even more biggrin.gif

I bought my friend the Hawg Hunter a 4:1 P-235 M for a wedding present and he used it right up to the day he died, almost 20 years later.

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

The newer S, P, R and PR reels aren't uncommon at all. Just a matter of placing an order (by a tackle shop) and waiting for Newell to get enough orders to make a production run.

Blackies are getting harder and harder to find, as people are beginning to shelve them rather than fish them. I still see a lot of original P-series reels being used here in Hawaii with the bunch of guys I fish with.

Never even heard of an M-series...redface.gif

View Post... Also it is good to note that if you plan on fishing the beach, never take a graphite series Newell, always use a P. The graphite series are terrible in the sand, you'll end up taking the whole thing apart and washing every piece to get that last bit of sand out...

I disagree. I use my graphite Newells on the beach all of the time, including an annual weeklong camping and fishing trip at the OBX, where we fish 10-18 hours per day. Short of throwing your reel in the sand, they hold up well. Besides the P series and graphite series reel are not that different as far as components, except for the spool, crossbars, and the handle. The handle has no effect on sand entry and the crossbars don't either becase they are the same width as the graphite crossbars. Are you saying there is a substantial difference in tolerances that allows more sand in on the graphite spool reels than on the aluminum spool reels?

On the rare occasion when you drop your reel into the sand, you can just rinse it off in the surf, anyway, just dry the bearings out later.

P.S. It is not just me, two of the other guys in o group also fish their graphite Newells on those trips, with no problems

View PostThe newer S, P, R and PR reels aren't uncommon at all. Just a matter of placing an order (by a tackle shop) and waiting for Newell to get enough orders to make a production run.

Blackies are getting harder and harder to find, as people are beginning to shelve them rather than fish them. I still see a lot of original P-series reels being used here in Hawaii with the bunch of guys I fish with.

Never even heard of an M-series...redface.gif

The M reels were only made in the original P-series, and I don't know whether they were ever made for the 300, 400 and 500 size Newells. I know they were made for the 200 size. With the advent of the first graphite models (which I believe were the G series, but I could be mistaken) they changed the slower retrieve models to 3.6:1 and eventually they used the retrieve ratio as part of the model number--eg, S-229-5 or S-229-3.6