Photo

Can I fir a toilet, bathtub and shower in an 8x5 space?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 windknot

windknot
  • 5,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,151 posts
  • LocationShangri-La

Posted October 16 2009 - 9:19 AM

Hi Folks,

I'm looking at general plans for a bathroom and I want to separate the vanity area from the toilet/bath area with a pocket door.

I want to try to squeeze it in a 8x5 space. There is a window on the 8' wall and the pocket door would be on the opposite 8' wall.

Can this be done? and if not, how much space would be minimum?

Thanks, WK

• -
I love when we make way past the breakwater at first light and head out, there's nothing better, the whole rest of the world just melts away for me.

#2 Terasec

Terasec
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted October 16 2009 - 9:29 AM

Hi Folks,

I'm looking at general plans for a bathroom and I want to separate the vanity area from the toilet/bath area with a pocket door.

I want to try to squeeze it in a 8x5 space. There is a window on the 8' wall and the pocket door would be on the opposite 8' wall.

Can this be done? and if not, how much space would be minimum?

Thanks, WK

will be a small bathroom but plenty to work with.
58"-60" bathtub might fit on the 5' wall.
also depends on layout of plumbing.
I have similar size in house in PA.
on 8' side have tub and small closet, other side have sink and toilet.
you walk in closet first then tub on left, sink then toilet on right, with window straight ahead on 5' wall by the toilet,

• -

#3 gadwall8

gadwall8
  • Way too many!

• 18,528 posts
  • LocationUneverheardofitstan

Posted October 16 2009 - 9:59 AM

Without drawing it out, you may need a pocket door to enter the room. A curbless shower and Geberit would neaten things up considerably.

• -
"I came into this world naked, screaming at the top of my lungs, and covered in someone else's blood. I got no problem leaving it that way."

#4 windknot

windknot
  • 5,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,151 posts
  • LocationShangri-La

Posted October 16 2009 - 10:30 AM

Sounds like i'm in the ballpark.

This is what I'm looking at.

• -
I love when we make way past the breakwater at first light and head out, there's nothing better, the whole rest of the world just melts away for me.

#5 fiddler

fiddler

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted October 16 2009 - 1:31 PM

You don't have enough room for the shower. You need a min. 30" for the toilet. What is on the wall opposite the vanity? You could put the shower there. You show the tub as existing what is the current configuration?

• -
CC's welcome

#6 windknot

windknot
  • 5,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,151 posts
  • LocationShangri-La

Posted October 16 2009 - 2:00 PM

Gadwall, I hear what your saying. Don't make an enclosed shower but a shower area.

Fiddler, I was afraid somebody was going to say that. So 30" for the toilet is minimum. I get that. that leaves 30" for the shower. That is not enough. What is the minimum size?

To answer your question.... The current tub is a regular tub/shower with the plumbing in a wall opposite the outside wall. I plan to extend the existing bathroom into a hallway to increase the dimension 10'. I want to try to separate the vanity area from the rest.

I can't see how to move things around to make it fit.

How much would I have to exrend the toilet/bath/shower area to make this all fit?

Thanks, wk

• -

#7 coppertrout

coppertrout
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted October 16 2009 - 2:20 PM

spin your toilet 90 degrees and slide it under the window, then put a corner shower in. you'll still have room for a corner kinda shelf too..

• -

#8 slipknot

slipknot
  • 5,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,026 posts

Posted October 16 2009 - 3:44 PM

why can't the shower be in the tub? or opposite the vanity, looks like plenty of space there for a nice size shower.
30" is too small for a shower unless you are the size of a hobbit.

• -

#9 windknot

windknot
  • 5,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,151 posts
  • LocationShangri-La

Posted October 16 2009 - 4:26 PM

why can't the shower be in the tub? or opposite the vanity, looks like plenty of space there for a nice size shower.

30" is too small for a shower unless you are the size of a hobbit.

The space opposite the vanity would be taken up by an AC duct, linen closet and another pocket door to a bedroom.

What is the minimum size I need for a shower? I might be able to push a little more into the hallway.

I really appreciate all your comments. WK

• -

#10 Chunkah

Chunkah
  • 5,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,828 posts

Posted October 16 2009 - 7:51 PM

Why can't you put in a 5' two or three piece tub / shower combo, then a toilet and 24" vanity on the opposite wall?

• -

#11 fiddler

fiddler

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted November 07 2009 - 2:02 PM

Have'nt checked here for a while but in answer to your question min shower is 30" inside finish.

• -
CC's welcome

#12 windknot

windknot
  • 5,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,151 posts
  • LocationShangri-La

Posted November 09 2009 - 12:31 PM

After thinking about it....I want the seperate tub/shower. I'm now figuring the tub/tiolet/shower space to be 8X6. i will bumpout the shower into an adjacent bedroom 12". This will make the shower 42" x 36".

Long term planning. I will be happy to get to this by spring.

• -

#13 4J's

4J's

• PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted November 15 2009 - 4:05 PM

I put a 4 foot shower, toilet and 30 inch vanity in an 8 1/2 by 4 space....opted not to go with a tub. Had the shower to the far left against the wall, the toilet in the middle and the vanity facing the door.

• -

#14 Fish Hunter

Fish Hunter
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts

Posted November 15 2009 - 4:10 PM

Check with a mobile home supply. You can get a 2 piece shower/tub that is 4'11" to fit the short wall and the toilet and vantiy are standard after that.

• -
It is what it is and it no longer matters.

#15 Dick O'Donovan

Dick O'Donovan
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts
  • LocationLI NY

Posted January 05 2010 - 11:18 PM

Draw it out until you make it work. How about moving a 24 or 30" pocketdoor over to the right so you would have 66" or 72" on the left to put the tub. 30" is to small for the shower, put the shower against the far right wall, it dosen't have to be square it could be 24 or 30" by 36 or 40". You can make the shower door open on 2 sides so when the door is open you will have more room to pass, another option would be "A neo Angle" i think it's called this would give you more room to pass also. Keep fiddeling with it I would think you have plenty room, you might have to be a little creative but it will work out. Excuse the raw drawings. If worse comes to worse go to Home dept. they will draw it for you.
O'D

• -