ALPS Guides

Rate this topic

The Riddler

It's been almost two seasons abusing Batson's ALPS SS316 guides with Zirconium rings on a few St. Croix Avid Inshore rods and I am impressed with the quality of the guides. I thought these guides would be cheap, fall apart, rust out, shred up braid and that would be that. It's been nothing like that. New to rod building here with 6 builds under my belt and will add more. I may try ALPS on the next build.

Nice report back. They are definitely a quality guide, if you are happy with them you should stick with them.

"the internet is the greatest platform for people who don't know anything, to tell people how much they don't know, to people who don't know anything and believe everything they read."
-Billy 40:16

Just about everything I see from Batson, including their Alps stuff, impresses me. A few weeks ago I ordered a triangular reel seat, and the thing is sweet: light, very, very strong, and solid as a rock. I've yet to try Alps guides, mostly because I'm a lazy creature of habit, but it's good to hear they've held up for you. I'll have to try them.

Terri Mae does not approve this message, but screw him.

Batson deosn't make ALPS products, they import some of thier product line. THere are a lot of colors that are unavailable here in teh US, but are available in Australia, probably other countries as well. Smart move on their part to import them though, good products.

"the internet is the greatest platform for people who don't know anything, to tell people how much they don't know, to people who don't know anything and believe everything they read."

I do not know what country they are made in, maybe Korea, maybe Tiawan. The company is ALPS though. They were available from Ross Van Eckevort in Australia (Rod & Reel Works I think is the name) before they were available here. I don't think it matter who makes them, because whoever does, is doing a great job.

• 9 months later...

Alps guides are top notch.I also have a avid inshore 8 footer with the S-6 frames and they have performed great.Batson adds new models on their website periodically.I have not heard of any problems with the zirconium rings coming loose.Some of the ALPS guides are specifically made and reinforced to prevent ring popout.Check there site on the ( rrd) frame types.

View PostI'm having issues with the rings falling out. frown.gif

Well which is it? Have they survived 2 years of abuse, as stated in your opening post, or are you having issues with the rings falling out.

"Talent does what it can, genius does what it has to"

Permit me to shed some light on the topic.

Alps is a Rod components manufacturer from Taiwan. The make a full line of "deep pressed" or "ring lock" guides, includung roller guides and reel seats.

Your comment on rings falling out? They are actually designed to 'help' prevent that from happening by using the ring lock technology.

They have an excellent set of spin guides XBXNLG that has a very strong frame, ring elevation close to some 50's, and do not suffer the corrosion problems that are common with Fuji guides.

Batson claims to be the 'sole' diestributor of Alps in the US. I believe that the company will be pressured to expand the line and new distributors will surface.

If you are looking for something that is more rugged yet, American tackle has just released the 'guide of the future' , the HD 4 brace.

shaky.gif

Custom Kev

View PostWell which is it? Have they survived 2 years of abuse, as stated in your opening post, or are you having issues with the rings falling out.

View PostPermit me to shed some light on the topic.

Alps is a Rod components manufacturer from Taiwan. The make a full line of "deep pressed" or "ring lock" guides, includung roller guides and reel seats.

Your comment on rings falling out? They are actually designed to 'help' prevent that from happening by using the ring lock technology.

They have an excellent set of spin guides XBXNLG that has a very strong frame, ring elevation close to some 50's, and do not suffer the corrosion problems that are common with Fuji guides.

Batson claims to be the 'sole' diestributor of Alps in the US. I believe that the company will be pressured to expand the line and new distributors will surface.

If you are looking for something that is more rugged yet, American tackle has just released the 'guide of the future' , the HD 4 brace.

shaky.gif

The rings survived two seasons of abuse, now the rings are falling out in the 3rd season.

This is the very first time I've heard of a ring falling out of a frame without the insert breaking on an Alps guide. Of all the guides I've used, the Alps have worn better than any other manufacturer (except american tackle and pac bay, because I've never used them).

Riddler, have you got a picture?

"Talent does what it can, genius does what it has to"

View PostThis is the very first time I've heard of a ring falling out of a frame without the insert breaking on an Alps guide. Of all the guides I've used, the Alps have worn better than any other manufacturer (except american tackle and pac bay, because I've never used them).

Riddler, have you got a picture?

I would use the ALPS in place of fuji anytime they were called for with zero worries.