Jump to content


Photo

Spooling Line on to a Spinning Reel


  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Wahoo356

Wahoo356

    Member

  • Users
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Joined: Aug-03 2009

Posted August 19 2009 - 12:10 AM

What is the proper procedure for installing monofilament on a spinning reel?

#2 Mike415

Mike415

    1,000 Post Club!

  • BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,993 posts
  • Joined: Apr-28 2008

Posted August 19 2009 - 12:48 AM

Step 1. Lay the spool flat on the ground so when you reel the line comes off the spool without twisting.


Step 2. Thread the mono through the eyes of the rod.


Step 3. Tie the mono around the spool.


Step 4. Reel until the spool is nearly full.


Step 5. Strip all the mono off and re spool with braid





Step 5 is optional but highly recommended

#3 Wahoo356

Wahoo356

    Member

  • Users
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Joined: Aug-03 2009

Posted August 19 2009 - 10:30 AM


Quote:








Originally Posted by Mike415
View Post

Step 1. Lay the spool flat on the ground so when you reel the line comes off the spool without twisting.
Step 2. Thread the mono through the eyes of the rod.
Step 3. Tie the mono around the spool.
Step 4. Reel until the spool is nearly full.
Step 5. Strip all the mono off and re spool with braid

Step 5 is optional but highly recommended





Mike, thanks for your reply. In Step 1, am I correct to asume that you do not allow the spool to turn? Also, to prevent the twisting should the line come off the spool in a clockwise direction or a counterclockwise direction?

#4 StormCaster

StormCaster

    5,000 Post Club!

  • Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,092 posts
  • Joined: Jan-18 2006

Posted August 19 2009 - 10:32 AM

The label on the spool of mono should be facing the reel.
Early to bed, early to rise, fish all day, make up lies. - unknown

#5 Fishoholic

Fishoholic

    5,000 Post Club!

  • Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,683 posts
  • Joined: Oct-07 2008

Posted August 19 2009 - 10:40 AM


Quote:








Originally Posted by StormCaster
View Post

The label on the spool of mono should be facing the reel.





99% of the time. Reel several yards on, then strip off some line and see if it twists. If so flip the spool of line.

#6 Wahoo356

Wahoo356

    Member

  • Users
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Joined: Aug-03 2009

Posted August 19 2009 - 10:52 AM


Quote:








Originally Posted by StormCaster
View Post

The label on the spool of mono should be facing the reel.





I am not sure that this will always apply. I have several spools of Stren monofilament. Also a spool of Berkley Trilene. On the Stren, with the lable
facing up the line is wound on the spool in a ccw direction. Therefore, it would come off the spool in a cw diection. The Berkley Trilene is wound on the spool in the opposite direction. Seems like the folks who make monofilament would get together and all wind their spools in the same direction. Wyatt B.

#7 Charleston

Charleston

    Way too many!

  • BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,116 posts
  • Joined: Feb-14 2003

Posted August 19 2009 - 1:15 PM


Quote:








Originally Posted by Wyatt Blankingship
View Post

Mike, thanks for your reply. In Step 1, am I correct to asume that you do not allow the spool to turn? Also, to prevent the twisting should the line come off the spool in a clockwise direction or a counterclockwise direction?





It does not really matter at first. Reel some line onto the spool, stop and look. If line is starting to twist, flip the spool over. Reel more line and stop, look, if all is good keep reeling. Stop again after 30 secs. or so. If line is twisting flip the spool again, if not keep reeling.

Bottom line; you stop to check for line twist several times while filling the reel.

Went to see the whatfixer.


#8 sea jay

sea jay

    1,000 Post Club!

  • BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts
  • Joined: Aug-05 2000

Posted August 20 2009 - 6:23 AM

What is the best knot to use when tying mono onto an empty spool?

#9 staktup

staktup

    5,000 Post Club!

  • BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,434 posts
  • Joined: Feb-14 2004

Posted August 20 2009 - 7:22 AM

I use a 3 turn uni knot ;s sometimes an arbor knot.

#10 Furbait

Furbait

    Senior Member

  • Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Joined: Sep-12 2008

Posted August 20 2009 - 1:52 PM

I don't understand this compulsion to pre-twist mono onto spinning reels, by having it uncoil in spirals off the manufacturer's spool. That simply guarantees problems, especially with stiffer and more abrasion resistant brands.

Good mono is wound straight on the manufacturer's spool, with virtually no twist at all. A spinning reel twists the line onto its spool on the retrieve and untwists the line off the spool on the cast. For spinning reels that are working correctly, the 2 twisting actions are equal and opposite.

Try this: put the manufacturer's spool on a spindle. Have the line unwind from the spool like cable pulled off a winch. Wind the new mono straight onto the spinning reel while applying a moderate tension to the line.

It's what I actually do and it works. FB

#11 Wahoo356

Wahoo356

    Member

  • Users
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Joined: Aug-03 2009

Posted August 20 2009 - 8:08 PM


Quote:








Originally Posted by Furbait
View Post

I don't understand this compulsion to pre-twist mono onto spinning reels, by having it uncoil in spirals off the manufacturer's spool. That simply guarantees problems, especially with stiffer and more abrasion resistant brands.

Good mono is wound straight on the manufacturer's spool, with virtually no twist at all. A spinning reel twists the line onto its spool on the retrieve and untwists the line off the spool on the cast. For spinning reels that are working correctly, the 2 twisting actions are equal and opposite.

Try this: put the manufacturer's spool on a spindle. Have the line unwind from the spool like cable pulled off a winch. Wind the new mono straight onto the spinning reel while applying a moderate tension to the line.

It's what I actually do and it works. FB





This is what I have been doing since 1958 when I bought my first spinning reel. I still have that trusty Mitchell 302. The reason for my original question is that I have read a bunch of threads on Surf Talk on this subject and they
did not agree with how I was spooling my reels. What I found that was very
interesting is that not all reels - at least the ones I own - turn in the same
direction and that not all monofilament suppliers wind their spools in the same direction. I will probably spool my new Penn 760L just like I have been spooling my reels for the last 51 years. If I decide to change, I will spool it
in on to my reel in the same direction that the line was wound on the spool with the new line. I plan to use Berkley Trilene Big Game. It is spooled clockwise looking at the label on the spool. I have some Trilene spools. The are all wound in the opposite direction to the Berkley line. That is, counterclockwise looking at the lable.

#12 lacan4a

lacan4a

    Senior Member

  • Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Joined: Sep-30 2007

Posted August 20 2009 - 9:37 PM

Somebody's official word is to take the line off the spool so that it goes on the reel in the same direction.
But line twists for any number of reasons, no swivel etc. The simplest thing is to let the line out behind the boat, let it untwist, then reel it back on.
It don't hurt to manually close the bail, and watch what happens when you reel in.
Some people just can't help being anoying.

#13 flytyingguy1

flytyingguy1

    Way too many!

  • BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,951 posts
  • Joined: Aug-02 2004

Posted August 20 2009 - 9:54 PM


Quote:








Originally Posted by Mike415
View Post

Step 1. Lay the spool flat on the ground so when you reel the line comes off the spool without twisting.
Step 2. Thread the mono through the eyes of the rod.
Step 3. Tie the mono around the spool.
Step 4. Reel until the spool is nearly full.
Step 5. Strip all the mono off and re spool with braid

Step 5 is optional but highly recommended





I have also found when spooling my reels I have a friend hold the spool tight with a pencil or a screw driver through the spool.He holds the spool while you wind the line on the reel this way you can get a good tention on the reel.


Back to Main Forum · Next Unread Topic →