The Riddler

Another problem with Wheeleeze carts

81 posts in this topic

19 mins ago, flylikabird said:

I'm feel very optimistic about my forth coming build on a pair of 30 cm that'll be at my doorstep in less than 48 hrs..  This will be my second homemade cart

Sounds good, you probably learned a thing or two from the first.

Just to throw this out there, 2 important things in the design are a suitably wide wheel base & keeping it low to the ground.....

I've seen carts that are too narrow & too high high, gets real tipsy like that.... not real good on uneven terrain

Best......

5 mins ago, flylikabird said:

Classic Bones!  LOL!  

This thread is gonna roll off topic now....we might as well let Bones sink the ship too. :wave:

13 mins ago, tj7501 said:

I didn't realize that you were the official spokesperson of the kayak fishing community. I agree 100% that you are not an average person, which was one of my main points in an earlier post. I don't have anything practical to contribute, just my personal opinion (based on past failures) as part of the general advice given out here to people who are asking questions. I wasn't ridiculing anybody, just offering another perspective. DIY for the sake of DIY is not always a good thing - that's all.

Thank you...have a great season.

My diy PVC kayak cart cracked after about 5 uses dragging it over the soft sand at the east end of Sunken Meadow State Park, NY.  This may have occurred due to two other factors besides inferring that the PVC I used was too brittle or was made brittle by the UV rays of sun. The axel was a threaded rod so the spin of the wheels was impeded contributing to drag of the wheels and the tires and wheels were cheap Harbor Freight pneumatic sand unfriendly wheels further contributing to cart drag and putting too much stain on the PVC frame. However, the wheels did turn on the sand but it was not easy to pull the cart and kayak. Kids ride in electric cart wheels salvaged from a Cadillac suv model are way better and float over soft sand. Broken joint repaired with 1” dowel, hose clamp and zip ties seem to be holding up.

DB7AE27B-3CC1-4E75-BE91-1A9E011266E6.jpeg

Build another one. We should have cart wars since it's life and death with pvc carts.

Posted (edited)

Riddler, do you still recommend your cart plan from New England kayak Fishing forum?

Edited by flyrad10

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, flyrad10 said:

Riddler, do you still recommend your cart plan from New England kayak Fishing forum?

I wish I was smart enough to come up with the design but it was someone else.  The picture back a few posts showing fittings and stuff to buy is someone else black and white photo. I added red lettering.  That photo is the same on NEKF , SOL, and sadly the lost KFS forums from the early 2000’s. I do not use scupper carts.  I use the optional t fittings.  There was isnt one way. 

Edited by The Riddler

Come to think of it.............. i think i was inspired by that very sketch :idea:

4 hours ago, BillZ said:

Come to think of it.............. i think i was inspired by that very sketch :idea:

You should be making carts at cost on your lathe for us. One piece no welds. :laugh:

10 mins ago, The Riddler said:

You should be making carts at cost on your lathe for us. One piece no welds. :laugh:

If your talking my avatar pic. That's actually a multi pc rotary fixture on a cnc machine that i designed..... hits 3 sides of the part at the same time.....

2 identical fixtures,  1 in the machine 1 out being loaded and unloaded... just swap fixtures & repeat,  no down time for high production

Best....

Got my new 30cm Wheeleez Tires from the 'X today and man are they PHAT!!!!!   Can't wait to get on this build tomorrow.    I'll be hitting the Cape next week for about a week and will test out the new cart on several location, for several species.   BSB opens soon!!!!   :drool:

1 hour ago, flylikabird said:

Got my new 30cm Wheeleez Tires from the 'X today and man are they PHAT!!!!!   Can't wait to get on this build tomorrow.    I'll be hitting the Cape next week for about a week and will test out the new cart on several location, for several species.   BSB opens soon!!!!   :drool:

BSB opens this Saturday. I'm working through the weekend and if I wasn't I would be there.

Last year if you recall was slow during the open, so don't sweat it.  I ended up scoring a week later and had way better numbers along with less anglers.   It was somewhere around days after Chris Cornell committed suicide.    RIP Mr. Cornell "The Legend!".