The Riddler

Another problem with Wheeleeze carts

81 posts in this topic

No, you dont need to be a licensed plumber or skilled trades person to build a little pvc cart suitable for a  3000 dollar kayak.  Its idiot proof.  

The kayak fishing community has built everything out of PVC.  Carts, crates, rod holders ,  winter storage  racks and beyond.  Its been proven durable.  

I'm not a plumber but building a cart isn't rocket science either, doesnt take a professional anything to pull it off.....

Made my pvc cart 5 yrs ago, mine's not double layered & i still have it. breaks down to fit in the hatch with stainless quick release pins, there's probably thousands of these things out there ..........

Might want to consider ABS

they tend to be a bit more flexible but will not shatter like pvc and more resistant to UV 

but it latter is not as important unless you keep it outside exposed to sun all the time

Posted (edited)

The Abs pipe i know in the 1 - 1-1/4" sizes is relatively thin walled & flexes a lot, not sure how that would play out in the bigger scheme of things as with pulling a loaded kayak....... once weight is loaded, wouldn't it tend to sag & maybe kink if weighted enough?

Maybe there's thick walled stuff? 

Edited by BillZ

Posted (edited)

Scupper version in 3/4".

Screenshot_2018-05-14-13-48-25.png

Edited by cheech

3 hours ago, BillZ said:

I'm not a plumber but building a cart isn't rocket science either, doesnt take a professional anything to pull it off.....

Made my pvc cart 5 yrs ago, mine's not double layered & i still have it. breaks down to fit in the hatch with stainless quick release pins, there's probably thousands of these things out there ..........

Awesome!  I was hoping someone built one cart out of single later PVC! That shows I am over kill! 

56 mins ago, BillZ said:

The Abs pipe i know in the 1 - 1-1/4" sizes is relatively thin walled & flexes a lot, not sure how that would play out in the bigger scheme of things as with pulling a loaded kayak....... once weight is loaded, wouldn't it tend to sag & maybe kink if weighted enough?

Maybe there's thick walled stuff? 

ABS is brittle compared to PVC but may suitable for a cart.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, kinghong1970 said:

Might want to consider ABS

they tend to be a bit more flexible but will not shatter like pvc and more resistant to UV 

but it latter is not as important unless you keep it outside exposed to sun all the time

I thought PVC was more flexible than ABS?

I dont see PVC becoming brittle in the sun.  Us Plumbers poke PVC though the roof and never had issues. I leave my cart all day outside.  Nothing brittle or weak.  

Maybe someone should build a cart out of ABS and report back in 6-7 years?

Edited by The Riddler

In the usual list of advice for newbie kayak fishermen (wear a PFD, etc.), "build your own PVC cart" should probably not belong. I don't think it's idiot-proof at all. Other light duty PVC projects like rod holders, storage carts, bait pens, etc. are easy and perfectly doable by the average person.

This average person will: order the right sand wheels, then find a stainless steel tube, cut it to size, drill holes in it for cotter pins, buy/measure/cut/glue PVC pipe and various fittings to precise dimensions, and do it all in a way that would last moderate use for multiple years. It's not simple and chance of failure is high, given that it is serving the structural purpose of carrying your loaded kayak through various terrain. Congrats to all those who have done this successfully. You may have saved $50 in the total cost of materials. You probably lost $500 in man-hours spent on it that you could have spent earning your income in overtime.

This 1/2" (5/8"od) copper water pipe axle with shaft collars has always worked for me.

PHOTO_20180514_155521.jpg

Posted (edited)

Site burped-double post

PHOTO_20180514_155521.jpg

Edited by cheech
Double post

Posted (edited)

53 mins ago, tj7501 said:

In the usual list of advice for newbie kayak fishermen (wear a PFD, etc.), "build your own PVC cart" should probably not belong. I don't think it's idiot-proof at all. Other light duty PVC projects like rod holders, storage carts, bait pens, etc. are easy and perfectly doable by the average person.

This average person will: order the right sand wheels, then find a stainless steel tube, cut it to size, drill holes in it for cotter pins, buy/measure/cut/glue PVC pipe and various fittings to precise dimensions, and do it all in a way that would last moderate use for multiple years. It's not simple and chance of failure is high, given that it is serving the structural purpose of carrying your loaded kayak through various terrain. Congrats to all those who have done this successfully. You may have saved $50 in the total cost of materials. You probably lost $500 in man-hours spent on it that you could have spent earning your income in overtime.

We are not average people. We find it comical that you are trying to ridicule us when something easily works. You don't like PVC...good...we do. I don't know what your point is...but we wish you luck in your kayak fishing adventures.  When you have something to contribute, show us.

Edited by The Riddler

I'm feel very optimistic about my forth coming build on a pair of 30 cm that'll be at my doorstep in less than 48 hrs..  This will be my second homemade cart and the first went real well but was sold with the Hobie to another angler.   This time it'll be my cart and will not be sold.   I anticipate many fun filled years of not having to bust my balls over soft sand beaches.  Kudos to all who have contributed to this very important thread!  Big ups!!!  ooow oow!   

13 mins ago, The Riddler said:

We are not average people. We find it comical that you are trying to ridicule us when something easily works. You don't like PVC...good...we do. I don't know what your point is...but we wish you luck in your kayak fishing adventures.  When you have something to contribute, show us.

I didn't realize that you were the official spokesperson of the kayak fishing community. I agree 100% that you are not an average person, which was one of my main points in an earlier post. I don't have anything practical to contribute, just my personal opinion (based on past failures) as part of the general advice given out here to people who are asking questions. I wasn't ridiculing anybody, just offering another perspective. DIY for the sake of DIY is not always a good thing - that's all.

12 mins ago, flylikabird said:

I'm feel very optimistic about my forth coming build on a pair of 30 cm that'll be at my doorstep in less than 48 hrs..  This will be my second homemade cart and the first went real well but was sold with the Hobie to another angler.   This time it'll be my cart and will not be sold.   I anticipate many fun filled years of not having to bust my balls over soft sand beaches.  Kudos to all who have contributed to this very important thread!  Big ups!!!  ooow oow!   

What's wrong with you?  PVC Doesn't work. Worse than dead. We may be a doctor, not an engineer.