The Riddler

Another problem with Wheeleeze carts

81 posts in this topic

That is as shame. I have had a "Hobie Trax 2-30 Kayak Cart" for three years and dragged it over everything to include sharp jetty rocks with on problem. With 4lb psi I thought it would be sluggish, but works great for a Hobie. Had the "Sea to Summit Sit-on-Top Kayak Scupper Cart," for my Ocean Yak, which worked great, it was as good as the Trax 2-30, except in the sand.

I already bought the solid bar and dont want to ship due to scratches just from free spinning it. Can i get a sleeve that would mate to the 3/4 bar and still fit the bushing?

wheeleez sells larger bushings for their 30cm wheels.

you will need to step up from your 3/4" rod. and it will add some weight to it.

the hobie cart uses steel rod, wheeleez uses aluminum tubes... hence hobie trax cart may last longer, so long as the welds hold.

A real roleez cart has a 1/2 solid stainless steel axle and costs $300. You cant excpect a piece of soft aluminum tubing to last. If you want quality as in tools you pay extra.

Update....The Riddler cart almost made it for season 8 but it died on me! The new improved cart will now have pvc unions to break apart!  Lets hope I get another 8 seasons or more out of this cart!

9FFB3A7A-5182-4210-8887-864BBEF91571.jpeg

Just stsrted it.  Hand tight and does not move for now.  size is 1 1/4” cpvc union.  

Works great..packs away nice.  Sand getting called caught in the threads and salt film could be a problem and cause binding.  I had all the stock lying around so no biggie. Packs up easily and into the 2018 Revo hatch.

The old cart can still work.  The weak link was the unglued Tees that allowed a pin to hold for easy breakdown and into the hatch. 

A66ABBCB-7817-4977-8C0D-D2831E8A47CF.jpeg

D2C8715E-F9F7-4E3B-AC09-A76053801ECB.jpeg

968F6276-D1EE-4C5A-8CF6-3FF3B1D5B564.jpeg

I see a lot of people making carts out of PVC pipes. It may be easy to cut and join, but I don’t see how it can be appropriate for hauling a kayak, especially by people who go out multiple times a week. The joints take a lot of force and will eventually crack. Trax 2 cart w/ the sand wheels has worked great for me, but I only go out 20 times a year and I’m OCD about saltwater cleanup.

Just now, tj7501 said:

I see a lot of people making carts out of PVC pipes. It may be easy to cut and join, but I don’t see how it can be appropriate for hauling a kayak, especially by people who go out multiple times a week. The joints take a lot of force and will eventually crack. Trax 2 cart w/ the sand wheels has worked great for me, but I only go out 20 times a year and I’m OCD about saltwater cleanup.

PVC and CPVC are two different material.  CPVC is alot stronger than you think.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, tj7501 said:

It's ok, there will always be a doubter in the bunch even when it's documented. :laugh:

1000's of us made our own carts out of PVC and stainless steel tubing axles. It was in 2009 I made my last one and that one cracked on Friday....it's actually still salvageable.  I fish 4-7 days a week....8 months a year and almost always leave my kayak on the PVC cart. That's a pretty good value since I' a plumber and have 1 1/4" pipe hanging around.  If you like your Trax 2 you can keep it. I've already killed that cart thanks. It's about reliability because I'm a serious fisherman. Can't afford to have a kayak go down in the height of the season. That's why may of us go with dependable and well made PVC carts.

I actually use 1 1/4" pvc and shove in and glue 1" pvc. Now it's thick and adds support. I can hop curbs.

Edited by The Riddler

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, chewy2000913 said:

PVC and CPVC are two different material.  CPVC is alot stronger than you think.

Both are strong. I don't have data to tell what the tensile strength is. We are not hauling a Boston Whaler. lol

I don't have local access to Schedule 80 PVC or CPVC. I use 1  1/4" Schedule 40 and Prime and glue 1" and inset.  Now I have super strong pvc  that won't flex. 

Evey body is different, some use pressure treated wood dowels. I like my method.

Edited by The Riddler

1 1/4” PVC with 1” PVC  reinforced inside. This cart is stonger and built cheaper  than any kayak cart  available on the market today. 

71906802-D1BA-46F4-B2E3-391F224F6DEC.jpeg

Posted (edited)

I will have to look at reinforcements to the 1-1/4 lke you did. I somehow knocked my cart off the truck toolbox one cold morning this winter.  It was like ice shattering on a tile floor.  Using one made with 2x6 cedar right now.:angel:

Edited by G8trwood

15 hours ago, The Riddler said:

It's ok, there will always be a doubter in the bunch even when it's documented. :laugh:

1000's of us made our own carts out of PVC and stainless steel tubing axles. It was in 2009 I made my last one and that one cracked on Friday....it's actually still salvageable.  I fish 4-7 days a week....8 months a year and almost always leave my kayak on the PVC cart. That's a pretty good value since I' a plumber and have 1 1/4" pipe hanging around.  If you like your Trax 2 you can keep it. I've already killed that cart thanks. It's about reliability because I'm a serious fisherman. Can't afford to have a kayak go down in the height of the season. That's why may of us go with dependable and well made PVC carts.

I actually use 1 1/4" pvc and shove in and glue 1" pvc. Now it's thick and adds support. I can hop curbs.

There’s no question double-layer pvc pipe frame will be strong, when it’s put together by someone who knows what he’s doing. Most people are not expert builders though and may not double the piping, use the right pieces, use enough glue, etc. Speaking for myself, I’d rather load my $3K investment in a welded SS frame rather than my DIY plastic pipe frame. But you clearly know what you’re doing since you made your cart last for so long in heavy use. I know that I would destroy my DIY pvc cart after the first drag through the sand :)