Spiderwire Ultracast Invisibraid for Backing?

Rate this topic

tth

I'm trying to figure out which backing to use for a couple of new reels for fly fishing saltwater from the shore on the Cape. Are there any reasons to not use Spiderwire Ultracast Invisibraid in about 50 lb. test?

Thanks,

TIM

Braid will definitely groove snake guides, especially the tips - I have had it happen more than a few times. The REC recoils are worse than others, again especially the tips. But its not a big deal, keep and eye on the tips and replace when needed. have only had it happen to one or two stainless snakes though.

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

The camo braid as backing is superfulous. How many times have you seen your backing in a fish fight? And the camo braid is to disguise the line so as to not alert the fish you are attempting to catch.

wendell, if you get a big fish on and forget you have braid backing and he starts ripping line off you flyrod and you grab it, y'all gonna bleed.

I fish braid on my surf gear and I wear a light pair of golf gloves whilst doing so.

Water softened skin and braided line are not compatible.

View Postwendell, if you get a big fish on and forget you have braid backing and he starts ripping line off you flyrod and you grab it, y'all gonna bleed.

Why in the world would you 'grab' the backing? I've used gsp for years for everything for bass to blues to bft, albies, etc. Never had a problem with it. Can it potentially cut, sure but if you don't think that dacron can't cut you just as easily than you are very mistaken. Not sure how this myth started but its not really any worse than dacron.

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

View PostWouldn't have weighed in on the topic if I hadn't. Fingers and guides, all present and correct.

you ever go surfcasting for stripers or blues?

i watched a guy slice his finger 90% of the way off when he was battling a striper.

i've torn through guides and everything, even ceramic

I personally don't like the stuff. I know people who love it. I am sticking with my old school dacron (i'm Cheap), i can't think of a reason to change. Most of my reels hold 150yds of 30# dacron and i have never come close to running out of backing. I don't offshore fish but have caught several big inshore fish. I guess it has a place.

Wendell did not get cut, because he is not stupid enough to grab fast moving backing line in all probability. Any thin backing line will have the potential to produce deep and nasty cuts if grabbed during a fight. Newbies are at most risk from doing this, but everyone learns pretty quick not to do it. The main attribute of backing is for it to have little stretch so it does not have the ability to compress spools and blow your reel frame up. Thats why most of us do not use std nylon mono as a backing line. No big deal is backing line. It's about a interesting as watching paint dry or spending a day at work instead of fishing.

Mike

You know there are a million furfies about GsP braid, and that includes all of the modern funny coating things, but generally GsP braid is very slippery, and thin and it doesn't, as far as I know, effect SS Snake guides. And I've use a lot of the stuff, on my spin rods etcc and I don't get cuts ever.What does happen is that under load conditions,like tangling big fish knots in GsP braids can get badly battered hitting guides, particularly snake guides on fly rods, Runners on spin rods are larger diameter things, not the ring diameter but the diameter of the line bearing surface.

And under high loads, the knots can slip and the very nasty critical radius, like the miminam bend criteria comes into play and the line can fracture. Which is why it is suggested that you use a line at least twice the b/s of the line you shoud use. Like for 20lb tippets a 50lb line, which will break at around 70lb, is fine.

I use 30lb GsP braid mostly, which breaks at 42lb or so, but I don't use knots so I don't get problems.

MaxG.

Every couple of months these myths about gsp backing come up. Can it cut fingers? Sure if you do something stupid like grab the backing, although I cannot fathom why *anyone* in their right mind would grab the backing. I've had big fish many, many times rip off 100-200 yards of line off my reels and never once cut my finger on braid. Why? Because I don't grab the line - why would you do that? To slow the fish down? That's what palming the spool or tightening the drag is for. Now, I have gotten really nice line burn from the fly line. That's a whole lot more likely as I'm trying to get a good hookset on a hot fish. I've also guided literally 10's of thousands of yards of GSP onto fly reels and off using a high speed drill at 3000 rpm with a bare hand, never gotten so much as a cut or line burn doing that. I've also had people on my boat gotten their fingers SEVERELY cut to the bone on monofilament. If we are to use the silly argument that gsp cuts fingers, we all should eliminate ANY line of less than rope-like diameter and therefore never have a chance to cut our fingers. As far as guide wear, I've not seen it and I suspect the surf guys see it more due to sand getting on the gsp and fly line than anything else. I regularly get fish that rip into my backing and not had any guide wear and I still have all my digits (my recent trip to Loreto had dozens of big dorado and sailfish go far into my backing and no guide wear or fingertips on the bottom of the panga - a dorado pulls like a freight train and is FAR, FAR stronger than any striped bass that ever swam by a factor of 3-4x IMHO).