Poison ivy, oak or sumac?
Posted July 01 2009 - 06:48 PM
Posted July 01 2009 - 06:49 PM
Posted July 01 2009 - 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by plugchucker
Ivy.Trust me,I just learned alot about the stuff.Finally getting over the worst case I've ever had.
Yeah, I'm pretty confident the 5 leaved vine climbing the tree is poison ivy but what about the other two?
Would a pair of extra long PVC gloves protect me from the poison?
Posted July 01 2009 - 07:13 PM
I'll have mine on the rocks.
Posted July 01 2009 - 07:18 PM
Posted July 01 2009 - 07:21 PM
Posted July 01 2009 - 07:22 PM
The pics with leaves in groups of three that are almond shaped with the tinges of red in the stem is defitanly ivy.Me,personally, I'd get a pair of those gloves and be wearing long sleaves and long pants.The juice in the plant that causes the rash is just wicked.Basically one drop will give it to you.
Even after the plant itself is dead the juice is still active for up to five years even in the root.Like I said,it's some potent stuff.After you kill it,don't touch any of the clothing you were wearing with exposed skin.Shower from head to toe with Tecnu wash or Palmolive to break up and wash away any oil that you might have made contact with.Take the clothes off and straight to the washing machine and wash down any tools that touched the stuff.I learned about that the hard way last year.
Posted July 01 2009 - 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by Paul_M
Was thinking #2 could be ailanthus altissima but it could be sumac.
The last set is probably poison ivy, but usually by now it gets red and shiney.
If you had poison ivy,oak AND sumac all in one yard.......you'd be screwed, lol.
I think the 1st 2 are poison nothings.
i changed my sig because I wanted to and nobody made me!!!
Posted July 01 2009 - 07:37 PM
Not poison anything:
Three bright, shiny, rubbery leaves is poison ivy's calling card.
We don't see poison oak or sumac much up here.
Posted July 01 2009 - 07:46 PM
but the leaves are usually more notched and erose, like this plant in its fall colors:
Posted July 01 2009 - 07:58 PM
I am not sure what will happen if you grind it to a paste and rub it into an open wound, but I hear some guys wire brush and piss on their poison ivy rash, so who knows.
The second plant I know too, but I am totally spacing out the name. It gets beautiful bunches of flowers on it, and likes to strangle trees, and is also quite invasive.
A lot of sumac is not poisonous, but I know some varieties are, so I just leave it all alone.
Does anyone know what the differentiation between the species are?
Posted July 01 2009 - 08:11 PM
Pic 2 might be a sumac, hard to tell from one pic... you may have to wait for fall to know if its the poison kind... if it is, it will have white berries. Red berries, no issues. Poison sumac tends to be in wet/swampy areas and non-poison sumacs in drier areas. Poison sumac also tends to have shorter leaves and not as elongated at the ones you show.
Pic 3 plain old poison ivy, I concur with the others here.
I mainly wanted to post to note that in general, real poison oak is common as a western plant and we dont nearly as much on the east coast. Poison ivy is a many talented plant, it grows into many shapes (bushy, vines, open areas, trees, etc) and leaf shape varies some... but what we have here in the east is poison ivy in all its forms most of the time you see something you suspect.
I won't tolerate your intolerance, because I hate hate.