Little Brown Egg - Terra Cota smoker

Rate this topic

View PostLook great how do you take the top off?

A pair of leather gloves and grab the sides of what would be the base and it comes right off. I am smoking some bluefish that I caught Sun right now after an overnight brine and a drying session. First time smoking fish so I figured I'd start with some yellow eyed demons since I haven't found another way to actually enjoy eating them. This time I figured I'd at least enjoy drinking a beer and watching stuff burn and smoke.

I was able to keep between 200 and 225 tonight for the fish. I don't know how many full charcoal pieces that is because I was using some full and some half used pieces. I have to watch it in the beginning before the terra cota warms all the way to keep it from sky rocketing in temp. Once the charcoal is smoldering away and the pot is warmed I don't have to watch it so close.

Smoking is the ultimate way to have blue fish. I believe I used a gallon brine consisting of:

1/2 cup salt

1/2 sugar

just under a 1/4 cup molasses

a medium palmfull of peppercorns

about 8 shakes of Franks Red hot sauce

I let that sit overnight and then pulled the fillets out and let them air dry on a drying rack in the fridge overnight. Took them out for a couple hours before I smoked them to continue the drying process. I brought the little brown egg up to temp added the soaked Hickory chips and let the magic happen. I didn't know these flavors could ever be achieved by me. I've had smoked salmon but never homemade and it never tasted this good. This is incredible, I never believed that I could take yellow eyed demon and make it taste this good.pig2.gif

View PostThat's cool! I've seen a similar setup on line somewhere..they used an electric hot plate in the bottom with wood chips in a pan on the burner.

Your dealing with electricity, flammables and liquids, don't even try that method. I tried that method a few times and I couldn't get the temps right, it would either be too hot or not hot enough. It's easier just to use charcoal.