small boat outriggers

Rate this topic

I dont know if you want to go full outriggers. I do small spanish mac and king tournaments. I have my rod holders pointed out. installed them for this reason. I bought 2 10 foot surf rods that I use with captiva6000sthey stick pretty far.

Also saw somekind of housing made from PVC pipe somewhere on the web. looked pretty nasty.

19 foot bay boat that I do this out of. gives me plenty of water covarage. 2 out the sides, 1 on the down rigger, 1 straight off stern way back past the prop wash...

Charlie,

When I had my "big" boat, a Chris 25 Sea Skiff, I installed a pair because I thought every boat of that size needed them. I'm trying to remember if I ever caught anything because of them. I trolled a lot of wire then, and I used side pole riggers and eleven foot wire line rods to spread the set. I think that long rods placed in flat line holders work equally as well as outriggers, at least in NJ where I did most of my fishing. You're certainly not going to be fishing marlin off shore with your rig.

Many ( maybe most) of the pelagics we caught back then were caught on flat lines pinned down against the transom. and running a wave or two back in the wake. I still occasionally use that technique in the fall when trying to locate little tunny to throw flies to, though I seldom troll anymore.

So...the outriggers looked good, but were essentially unused on that boat.

Best regards,

Irv

View PostYOu might also want to consider something called an outrodder. I bought a set on ebay. Search item # 310144747715 and you'll see what I mean.

David

I use this all the time. Love it. Don't waste your money on an outrigger for that boat.