panga boat?

Rate this topic

dta

any particular reason why you are looking at that style?

Just read up on them a bit. Seems like "THE" fishing boat in the gulf of mexico, and baja.

PangaMarine is said to be the only panga made entirely without a DROP of wood, and they are supposed to be the most technologically advanced Panga builder.

I know that there are two or three American companies that I know that are making these boats. Two are in FL if I remember correctly, but I don't know where the third company is located. The two in FL were Panga Marine, and Panga Boats (I think). Angler boats was the third.

A lot of people have a lot of opinions on these boats. Some love them, some have only bad things to say about them. Same as everything in the boating and fishing arena. If you ask for opinions, you'll probably get everything under the sun. Even between Panga owners, you'll probably get differing opinions on the other Panga models, ie..."my Panga is the best, and your Panga by that other company is crap", etc.

If you go onto some of the major boating sites and do a search, you will find a ton of opinions, and very little objective information. The best that you can do is to find a local dealer, take a test ride, and come up with your own judgement on whether or not the boat works for you.

I know that there was a Panga dealer in central NJ a year ago. He had a few of them at the Atlantic City Boat Show in 2008. I didn't go to this year's show, so I don't know if he's still around or not.

Several in use here in Big Bend area of West Coast FL, (Spring hill to Cross City) real good skinny water (Shallow) havent got reports of any guys going off shore to far Yet, one of our FL forum members uses his for grouper but 8-10 mile out and water here is not deep ,ten mile may be 20-25 Ft, pretty pricey boat to me .

Panga's are interesting, here's my take:

A lot of room for fishing, require relatively little power to run, can get in the skinny water, but they are very seaworthy.

They run good in swells but will pound you in a decent chop.

I think that is why you see them on the west coast and the islands, but not so much in the northeast.

View PostI know that there are two or three American companies that I know that are making these boats. Two are in FL if I remember correctly, but I don't know where the third company is located. The two in FL were Panga Marine, and Panga Boats (I think). Angler boats was the third.

Andros Boatworks in Sarasota FL is a fourth

panga23_top.jpg

"Gradatim Ferociter / Carpe Diem / No Guts, No Glory

"I hate taxes, and Communism, and inflation. Now, get to work, and remember that the person who makes decisions around here is ME." Ronald Reagan

View PostOne of the US Panga makers is bankrupt recently and I believe outta business (thought i heard panga mairne).

Panga.com went out of business. Panga Marine, Andros, and Angler are the big three players with that type of hull here in the US. Andros by a landslide is the best. Not my personal favorite hull design but not everyone loves 4 strokes eitherwink.gif

"It isn't that Liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan

View PostDont forget the Maratime Skiffs. The comapny doesnt call them a panga hull but if you look close they are. 115 hp will run the 21 foot hull at 30knots and 5.5 mpg.

there are some similarities, but they are pretty different. pangas are long and narrow and mskiffs are pretty stubby.

I have a '08 pangamarine 18 skiff, with a 50 honda 4strk. I have limited storage space ( garage), and this skiff fit the bill for the type of fishing I do. Excellent fuel economy, plenty of room to fish three 200 lb anglers, runs very shallow. I have every confidence in it's sea keeping abilities, but with the low freeboard I need to pick the days when in open waters. Does pound a bit in heavy chop, but the seating in the rear negates alot of the issue. For the money, and what I need this boat to do, I am VERY pleased..

attachment.php?attachmentid=233266&stc=1