Myrtle Beach,sc Surf Fishing?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lamimatt

lamimatt

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted May 12 2009 - 10:46 AM

Does anyone have any knowledge of surffishing the Myrtle beach area in South Carolina?I'm going down in August and want to know if anyone has ever gone.I spoke to a local shop and they didn't seem to understand the concept of surffishing.They said it's a very gradually sloped bottom and to cast something with enough weight to get your lure out do deep enough water you'd drag bottom right away.any input would be helpful.Thank you

#2 HugeDinghy

HugeDinghy
  • Tiny Richard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,243 posts

Posted May 12 2009 - 11:01 AM

be a ton of mullet in the wash at that time..castnet them and throw um out for spot's and trout.....or chunk the larger ones at dusk for sharks...

#3 wizardude

wizardude
  • 5,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,450 posts

Posted May 12 2009 - 11:51 AM

I'd suggest fishing piers if you want to catch more than crabs and rays. The area is not known for it's prime fishing Here are a couple places that have pretty up to date info, you can keep tabs on:

http://www.funbeache...wforum.php?f=59

http://www.fisherman....-myrtle-beach/

The beaches there are great for sightseeing

Good luck on the Fishes

"Vaya con Dios"...

#4 Reelfixer

Reelfixer
  • Elite Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted May 12 2009 - 11:57 AM

The best time to fish is simple. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. Its when you want to fish, thats the best time. Forget all the other rubbish you have been told. Most of it is semi correct. Just fish when the urge hits you and you are 100% correct.

#5 HugeDinghy

HugeDinghy
  • Tiny Richard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,243 posts

Posted May 12 2009 - 12:06 PM

always do well in aug at the north causeway on pawleys island

#6 transitdynamics

transitdynamics

• PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted May 12 2009 - 12:38 PM

when are you gonna be down there? ill be down there aug 24-28, probably gonna do a party boat with my son...

#7 speckhunter80

speckhunter80
  • 5,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,620 posts

Posted May 12 2009 - 12:43 PM

The Myrtle Beach beaches have a very gentle slope well out into the water and therefore it is not a good surf fishing locale. One of the piers or the rock jetty at Huntington Beach State Park would be better or head up to Ocean Isle in NC.

#8 bluefish1928thing

bluefish1928thing
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis, MD

Posted May 12 2009 - 3:18 PM

be a ton of mullet in the wash at that time..castnet them and throw um out for spot's and trout.....or chunk the larger ones at dusk for sharks...

most of the time theres around around late august, but in October mullet are almost guaranteed to school big time in the surf. when they are around surf fishing can be decent. my favorite place is the huntington beach state park jetties. despite the 1.4 mile walk, the jetties are about twice as long as most pier and the water is probably at least 35 feet deep at the ends. big red drum, bluefish, spanish mackerel, weakfish, and flounder can all, be caught. a 8 or 9 foot surf rod and casting spoons is a great way to fish.