Delaware Clam Regulations

Rate this topic

I was reading the Delaware Fishing Guide (rules and regs) and I was just wondering why Non Residents are only allowed 50 clams and Residents are allowed 100. I bought a licesene like everyone else has why the different quanities? All of the fish have to be the same sizes and crabs are the same amounts. So why the difference in clams?

View PostI really would like to know why this is the way it is......I got a sweet spot for clams but its a good drive for me to get there and Im not so sure its worth the drive for 50 clams

Think of it as being a guest in somebody elses house. wink.gif

Here is what I wrote and the response I got back

WhatI Wrote

To: Cole Richard (DNREC)

Subject: Clam Question

Hello, My name is Jeremy Weinhold. I am a resident of Pennsylvania . I have a current fishing licence in the state of Delaware (lic. #*****). I was reading the free publication that I pick up at our campground and was pretty upset to find out that Non-Resident fisherman are only allowed to keep 50 clam as opposed to a Resident being able to keep 100. Im fully aware that this has been like this in the past but now that everyone is required to be licesened to fish in tidal waters it might be time for a change. There is no difference in the amout of crab that is allowed to be taken by residents versus non-resident and there is also no difference in the size of the fish that are allowed to be kept by the two groups either. So why the difference in clams? We (non residents) pay more for licenses but are not able to "play" by the same rules. Im not writing this letter to complain about the price difference, I have no problem with that. I dont even have a problem with having to have a licence . I am just not understanding why the difference in creel amount.

Thank You for listening to my concerns

Jeremy M. Weinhold

717 *** 6285.....please feel free to call at any time.

This was the response I got

Mr. Weinhold,

To the best of my knowledge the resident and nonresident clam harvest limit differentials have been in place for the past 40 years. From a resource management perspective the existing long term control limits for both recreational and commercial clam harvesters have been successful towards insuring the sustainability of this resource. As such, we see no compelling reason to liberalize harvests and take a chance in jeopardizing the long term sustainability of this important resource.

I am a Delaware resident, I understand the feeling of non-residents (I used to be one). This really doesnt make sense.

But I would not push this one too far. If they were to make the regulations equal, they certainly wouldnt allow out of staters 100; they would drop the limit of in staters down to 50. No one would benefit, and it may upset some of the locals.

My suggestion is to make friends with the locals, and get invited to their clam dinners (heck of a lot easier than raking em yurself).

View PostI am a Delaware resident, I understand the feeling of non-residents (I used to be one). This really doesnt make sense.

But I would not push this one too far. If they were to make the regulations equal, they certainly wouldnt allow out of staters 100; they would drop the limit of in staters down to 50. No one would benefit, and it may upset some of the locals.

My suggestion is to make friends with the locals, and get invited to their clam dinners (heck of a lot easier than raking em yurself).

Funny thing is I actually enjoy raking for clams....Its a family outting and also a compition to see who gets the most. I just dont get it.

Maybe you are on to something there. We could start a rake and release clamming movement.

I could see it now, the F&W agent has just counted my 99 clams and sees I am still raking as I pull up a monster chowder cow and I ask if he can snap a picture before I release the clam uharmed back into the water.

The only problem is we may eventually have to deal with rake and release clam snobs, who insist that we blunt or bend down the tines on our clam rakesmile.gif

Not belittling any posts here, they are all spot on. I am in full agreement that the regulations should be consistent. Sometimes, I just have to type out my own dumb thoughts.

View PostMaybe you are on to something there. We could start a rake and release clamming movement.

I could see it now, the F&W agent has just counted my 99 clams and sees I am still raking as I pull up a monster chowder cow and I ask if he can snap a picture before I release the clam uharmed back into the water.

The only problem is we may eventually have to deal with rake and release clam snobs, who insist that we blunt or bend down the tines on our clam rakesmile.gif

Not belittling any posts here, they are all spot on. I am in full agreement that the regulations should be consistent. Sometimes, I just have to type out my own dumb thoughts.

Ok ya made me laugh.....But I read somewhere online that we can get a non commerical clam permit for 57.50 (5.75 for residents)....this would allow us to keep 500 clams.....is this true?

It is indeed true, I purchased a rec clamming license about 3 years ago. I jinxed myself and never was able to rake more than 100 for the rest of the year.

I know back then that you could not order them on-line and none of the licensing agents had them, you had to apply in person at the R&R building in dover. But all you did was sign your name and get the permit. They do require that you send in a log sheet at the end of the season.

57.50 may be worth it if you only come down a limited number of times per year and really want to stock up on clams.

Or you could move to Delaware and only pay $5.75 (sorry, I couldnt resistsmile.gif )

• 2 weeks later...

You may laugh, but I do "rake and release"!! Not just the undersized ones but the "oversized" ones! I have a couple of sweet spots and have no trouble getting my limit so I keep the clams closest to the ideal 2" size. WE got checked once coming in, a guy coming in behind us was about 20 over his limit. The officer looked thru the clams and confiscated the 20 "nicest" clams, gave the guy a lecture and then left with the "evidence". Even those oversized clams are great when opened with a "clam out" and dusted lightly with seasoned flour and then deep fried!! They are not tough when done that way.

you guys get your 50.......... i'll get my 100...... and we'll throw em' all together and have a feast! beers.gif

i dont understand why they would be different..... i dont seem much sense in allowing an out of state clammer less harvest then an in-state clammer.... who knows..... after the response you got back, doesnt look like its going to change for a while..redface.gif

"Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it...." - Harry Middleton

View Post Even those oversized clams are great when opened with a "clam out" and dusted lightly with seasoned flour and then deep fried!! They are not tough when done that way.

When we clammed, I only used those quahogs for chowder. Will try the deep fried method...sure sounds good.

The reason there is a difference is the "possibility" exists that an exorbitant amount of non-residents will be granted permits allowing them to clam. If a high amount of non-resident permit holders gather enough clams, it could jeopardize the population for years to come.

I'm sure the present sustainable model is based on extrapolated figures derived from the amount of both in state and out of state clammers.