Bad Fuel from WAWA

Rate this topic

SRF

Has anyone had problems after getting gas from Wawa. My car was missing so I took it to my mechanic and the first thing he asked was if I had used gas from WAWA. I usually do, but was not exactly sure. He then began to tell me about all of the cars he has been working on lately had recieved gas with a 50 % mix of water in itcwm31.gif

He had a Corvette that he drained the tank and showed me a sample of what was inside. Couldnt believe it, half was water the other half dark yellow gas. If you happen to load you boat up with this stuff , I dont think any amount of additive is going to save you.

From what I read most fuel is the same, its the amount of additives that branded compainies such as Amoco, Sunoco...ect put into the fuel before sending it out to the stations, is what seperates theirs from non refining suppliers . I guess thats how Wawa can charge less. They must sell fuel quicker and figure they dont need to add the chemicals to keep fuel fresh. But if sales slow down....look out.

The Wawa by me had to be completely drained because of this issue.

I also read about a problem in NJ where about 60+ cars were stranded after puchasing bad gas from Lukeoil and Wawa, some didnt even make it out of the parking lotcwm31.gifThis is from last April http://www.mycentraljersey.com/apps/...8010/1001/news

Ive already had my problems 2 years ago with my boat.

Has anyone noticed anything different in performance when using Wawa gas as opposed to any other fuel supplier such as Sunoco....ect?

My mother in law was one of the ones that got stuck in the entrance to the parkway after filling up in the lukeoil. She said the car was fine after leaving the station but after entering the garden state pwy it started to buck n shake then shut off completly. she took it to the dealer and then heard in the news about the gas station and got reimbursed for the damage.

I my self only use Sunoco but thats because they used to have 94 octane for my modified mustang that needs high octane to run to its full potential. When it comes to cars, bikes or boats in your guys case dont opt for cheap parts or fuels, their true value will show when you need it the most.

Chris
(*member formerly known as 'Bag&Tag')

Not for nothing but water in the fuel has nothing to do with the 'quality'. And being a developer for a commodities exchange I can assure you that ALL brands are unloaded from the same tanker and any difference will come from the alleged addition of miracle compounds. The most effective one is the name on the side of the truck. Gasoline is Gasoline. What you pay for it is up to you. Having contaminants in fuel is a bummer but it doesn't relate to brand quality.

"You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end -- which you can never afford to loose -- with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they may be .."

I drive 40,000 miles a year on business and buy gas wherever. Have used WAWA, my favorite, and Lukeoil and never a problem. As previously stated, gas is gas and like anything else you can get a bad batch. Usually though, I think its the in ground storage tank that creates the problem due to venting or other issues. We had tanks on the farm that are 50 years old and are still in use with never an issue.

I always fill up at Wawa. Never had a problem there at all. Its honestly not really even cheaper than surrounding gas stations. I like the fact that the gas gets used faster and is not old like some of the other places that have the same tank from 1980 LOL I don't know it this even really matters, but its good enough for mewink.gif

View PostNot for nothing but water in the fuel has nothing to do with the 'quality'. And being a developer for a commodities exchange I can assure you that ALL brands are unloaded from the same tanker and any difference will come from the alleged addition of miracle compounds. The most effective one is the name on the side of the truck. Gasoline is Gasoline. What you pay for it is up to you. Having contaminants in fuel is a bummer but it doesn't relate to brand quality.

That contaminant is called ethanol.

Does wawa recieve some of its fuel when it is already breaking down. Meaning, without additives to preserve the fuel, ethanol will seperate from fuel and absorb moisture. One equal part of fuel can take on the same amount in water. 10 % ethanol could mean 10% water.

Wawa makes a furtune on selling marked up food,drinks, ect... and I love it there. Convienance if sometimes worth paying for, but fuel is not their bread and butter so to speak. Fuel is there to get you into the store, one less stop you have to make on the way home.

Curious what you are talking about when you say miracle compounds. If you do not believe that additives preserve fuel you may want to speak with a chemist. There is no debate....its a fact. If you want to argue over which additive is better, then there is room for debate.

Curious what you are talking about when you say miracle compounds. If you do not believe that additives preserve fuel you may want to speak with a chemist. There is no debate....its a fact. If you want to argue over which additive is better, then there is room for debate.

No company adds a preservative that I know of. Here's how it works; a tanker pulls into a harbor and "NY harbor unleaded" is pumped out to everybody. Some companies then tack on 25-30 cents per gallon because they have (allegedly) added a compound that makes "Clean" gasoline or "Detergent" gasoline or "Male enhancement" gasoline or whatever BS moniker they want to put on it to get brand recognition (and increased price). As someone pointed out above, get it in volume, pump it in volume, burn same. Water is a storage issue not a brand quality issue.

"You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end -- which you can never afford to loose -- with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they may be .."

I always like to go to a high volume gas station,especially with ethanol issues. This gas has to be used with in 60 days or stabilzed or you risk break down of gas and water contaimination. I store cars for the winter and always stabilize the fuel. JP

View PostNo company adds a preservative that I know of. Here's how it works; a tanker pulls into a harbor and "NY harbor unleaded" is pumped out to everybody. Some companies then tack on 25-30 cents per gallon because they have (allegedly) added a compound that makes "Clean" gasoline or "Detergent" gasoline or "Male enhancement" gasoline or whatever BS moniker they want to put on it to get brand recognition (and increased price). As someone pointed out above, get it in volume, pump it in volume, burn same. Water is a storage issue not a brand quality issue.

It's not an ethanol issue. Its bad gas plain and simple. Either the load was bad or water got into the tank. I have seen this bad fill ports on the ground that let rain water into the tank. In other cases, there is water on the bottom of the tank, from leaks, condensation, left over from tank install ets. After the tank gets filled, the water is stirred up and mixed with the new fuel. My rule is, if you see the tanker truck dropping a load at a station, don't use that station for a day or so.

I've bought WAWA gas for years from the same two stations and never had a problem. My brother told me that i was killing my fuel mileage with cheap gas. So, i switched to Exxon for a couple of weeks. Fuel mileage didn't improve, so it was back to WAWA.

I like their stores plus the fact that hand my credit card right back to me instead of letting it sit in the pump unattended.

As for quality. The rumors that WAWA gas is bad for your car have been going around for years. If the rumors were true my cars would be toast by now. They run quite well and get the expected fuel economy. Fuel mileage hasn't changed as the cars have aged. One car that i just sold with about 100,000 miles on the clock, a 2003 Honda Accord EX 4cyl, got better than advertised fuel mileage, 28/36. All that car ever got was WAWA gas.

I live in south jersey. There is a huge gasoline refinery along the Delaware river, in Deptford. Every station in southwest jersey, regardless of brand, gets supplied by that refinery. One need only look at the non brand specific tanker trucks supplying all the name brand stations. The same transporters supply WAWA.

View Post

From what I read most fuel is the same, its the amount of additives that branded compainies such as Amoco, Sunoco...ect put into the fuel before sending it out to the stations, is what seperates theirs from non refining suppliers . I guess thats how Wawa can charge less.

No, actually the fact of the matter is that Wawa has no contract with any one supplier. When any particular WaWa location needs a load, central office will shop it around and get the cheapest delivery.

There is no such thing as branded gasoline anymore. Meaning Exxon isnt Exxon, Gulf isnt Gulf, etc. FACT.

There is no such thing as branded gasoline anymore. Meaning Exxon isnt Exxon, Gulf isnt Gulf, etc. FACT.

If I wasn't clear before.. There isn't any different gasoline. No matter what the name is on the refinery it is 'NY Harbor RBOB unleaded' and is traded as a commodity. Now if ya want to get some and mix it 50/50 with Toulene or Tova Borgnine facial cream or whatever else, then you can call it your brand and charge whatever someone will pay.