Making pork rind trailers at home?

Rate this topic

ahg

I saw thick rolls of pork rind on sale at a grocery store for cheap...and that got me thinking if I could make pork rind trailers at home.

Anybody here done that? I was wondering if its as simple as cutting the rind to size, maybe drying it to toughen the rind and coloring the rind?

Have done it......

Simmer it a bit to render some of the fat, let cool and dry it with paper towels, cut it to size and shape you want (this is harder than it sounds, be careful), then store in a container with some vinegar and salt water. Add food coloring of your choice, let sit for a few days until the color is adsorbed. The liquid will go almost clear. Drain off the liquid, and store in salt water.

Only drawback with this method is you can't get color on one side and leave the other side white, like many commercial bait rinds are.

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

Cut em with a razor and brine them. Make the brine using boiling water and as much kosher salt as it will take until the salt falls out of solution. Cool this brine completely before adding the skins.

As Steve said, cutting is harder than you think. Next time I'm going to brine large pieces and then cut them. The skins are tougher once they've been in solution for a week.

I've only dyed my own once and was not happy with the results. They came out much lighter than I expected. Dye before you brine. I used Rit dye. Some guys swear by powdered jell-o mix.

Let us know how you do.

Banned in Florida

Sparky - Try liquid gel food color in the vinegar/salt solution I posted. Let it adsorb, and then add more gel if they are too light...I do mostly red, and have gotten them a deep red..............have also done a very dark green, almost black, by mixing blue, green, and red coloring together.

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

SOL Member #174

View PostCut em with a razor and brine them. Make the brine using boiling water and as much kosher salt as it will take until the salt falls out of solution. Cool this brine completely before adding the skins.

As Steve said, cutting is harder than you think. Next time I'm going to brine large pieces and then cut them. The skins are tougher once they've been in solution for a week.

I've only dyed my own once and was not happy with the results. They came out much lighter than I expected. Dye before you brine. I used Rit dye. Some guys swear by powdered jell-o mix.

Let us know how you do.

Spark,

Where'd you find the skins? I've been looking around here for a few years with no luck.

Picture this:

Smiling Bill jig with blue hair on top and white on the bottom with a thin pink pork trailer during the Montauk herring run drool.gif

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

Shoot, Sudsy, just go out and by a "city" ham, butt or shank portion (shank has more of the rind)......cut off the rind, and make a baked ham with the rest of it for dinner......wink.gif

SOL Member #174

View Post I'll bet it stinks up the house too. No thanks. I'll leave it to the factories.

Valentine

What exactly would stink up the house?.....headscratch.gif

And it ain't that much work....I can make the equivalent of about $50+ worth for about $3 (less than that if I am eating the ham anyway) in about half an hour, other than the waiting time for the food coloring to adsorb.........

SOL Member #174

View PostSpark,

Where'd you find the skins? I've been looking around here for a few years with no luck.

Picture this:

Smiling Bill jig with blue hair on top and white on the bottom with a thin pink pork trailer during the Montauk herring run drool.gif

Hey Sudsy,

I have a full pig coming in a month or so. I can salt and ship a hunk o' skin to you. Since I still have a huge piece salted in the fridge from when I asked about this a few months ago, I don't think I need to prepare much more right now. redface.gif

Ed

NOBODY here has a pass to blow out someone else's candle in order to make theirs shine brighter. TLDig[

View PostShoot, Sudsy, just go out and by a "city" ham, butt or shank portion (shank has more of the rind)......cut off the rind, and make a baked ham with the rest of it for dinner......wink.gif

I read somewhere that you need skin from the belly area to make proper trailers

Actually that was for Pork=O's - which is what I really want to make. 7" to 11" long 3/4" thick around, black or olive Pork-O's drool.gif

Passiton, I may take you up on that offer !!

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

• 2 months later...

I finally got the pork rind trailers all made last night. The pork rinds were crazy slippery.

I tried to cut a few trailers before boiling the rinds. That got me nowhere, the knife kept slipping and kitchen shears did not work much better either. so I threw the skin into a hot water vinegar mix and simmered the skin for about 10 minutes. To cool the rinds, I threw them into my sink, only to see the entire skin get swallowed by my garbage disposalredface.gif It was so slippery, it slid right in, it took me all of about 15 minutes to get it out, with a pair of tongs.

It was real easy to cut the skins with a scissor after the simmer, I got about 15 trailers, most about half an inch think and 2 about 1.5 inches thick. All soaked 24 hours in food color..red, green, and a mix of dyes that almost looks black. After 24 hours I brined them and will be using them Sunday night...hope to catch something!

How do you get the rind in pure white color.

I found over dozen bottles of UJ rinds in the garage. These must have been over 15 years old and they all changed back to natural skin color. Food dye couldn't seem to make them white again. Anyone has suggestions?