• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Bowhunter1188

Bowhunter1188

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted March 05 2009 - 7:28 PM

Hey guys and gals!

I have a Wilderness Systems Pamlico kayak. I was just curious if you guys apply any product such as a wax or other protectant to the exterior? What do you guys use?

Thanks!

#2 LAR43

LAR43

• PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted March 07 2009 - 10:12 AM

303 UV Protectant. It's kind of like sunscreen for plastics & other stuff.

Larry

#3 deadwoodken

deadwoodken

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted March 09 2009 - 3:38 PM

I've carry one of those small pump-up insecticide bottles in the car that I use when I come out of salt water on the yak, my gear and myself. I keep the yak under a tarps out of the sun when storing and occasionly wash it with one of those car wash products as advised by the manufacturer'

#4 Seal

Seal
  • Way too many!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,476 posts

Posted March 09 2009 - 11:47 PM

While researching Hobie kayaks I saw that they have a cleaner spray and a protector spray...Don't know anything about it, other than that it exists.
At the bottom of their main kayak page you'll see a link for their parts and accessories catalog. It's on page 25 of the catalog.

#5 jimmatthews

jimmatthews

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted March 10 2009 - 10:14 AM

Matte finish Armorall makes the topsides of a badly faded poly kayak look brand new. Unfortunately they stopped making it about 5 years ago. I think I have the last remaining bottle of it. I've never tried regular Armorall. Anybody ?

#6 Bowhunter1188

Bowhunter1188

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted March 10 2009 - 10:31 AM

Some people say Armorall is good, and some say it is bad for kayaks. I don't know what to believe. I've used it, and it makes the kayak look great, but I don't know if it does any damage that I can't see.

#7 Grilled

Grilled
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted March 10 2009 - 3:43 PM

Some people say Armorall is good, and some say it is bad for kayaks. I don't know what to believe. I've used it, and it makes the kayak look great, but I don't know if it does any damage that I can't see.

if people use armorall to clean the inside of their cars, which in most cases are made of plastic materials, why couldnt you use it to clean a kayak. i dont see how it can ruin a kayak.

(*member formerly known as 'Grilled Sardine')

#8 Bowhunter1188

Bowhunter1188

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted March 10 2009 - 3:52 PM

if people use armorall to clean the inside of their cars, which in most cases are made of plastic materials, why couldnt you use it to clean a kayak. i dont see how it can ruin a kayak.

My thoughts as well.
I don't remember the specifics, but I remember being told Armorall does not protect against UV light. They were saying the UV light might damage the plastic more after you use Armorall.
I believe the only difference between 303 and Armorall is probably the UV screen in 303. I don't think there's much of a difference aside from the sun protection.

#9 mmiller

mmiller

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted March 10 2009 - 4:52 PM

The Hobie cleaner and protectant is two products by McNett.

The UV protectant is formulated to soak into plastics and vinyl to actually rejuvenate the materials. This is not like Armour all which is more of a coating that simply wipes or washes off.

The Mcnett site says:

UV Tech is a powerful protectant for use on hundreds of items including dry suit seals, kayaks, binocular housings, boat covers and a variety of outdoor fabrics and materials. Rejuvenates synthetic and natural materials and protects surfaces from sun damage and color fading. Restores gear to its original condition and prolongs gear life. Ideal for float tubes, waders & more.

McNett UV Tech™ Conditions, Seals and Protects Plastic, Vinyl, Rubber, PVC, Leather, Fiberglass, Hypalon® and More.
* Reduces Damage and Fading From The Sun.
* Replaces Lost Plasticizers.
* Protects For Easy Cleaning.
* Improves Appearance, Enhances Color.
* Nontoxic, Biodegradable, Nonflammable.

Matt Miller
Hobie Cat USA

#10 YakDawg

YakDawg
  • Elite Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • LocationF'dale, NY

Posted March 15 2009 - 8:17 PM

I also use protectant 303.

#11 bjb

bjb

• PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted March 16 2009 - 2:51 AM

Definitely the 303 protectant. Works great on anything you want to protect against uv fading/deterioration, kayaks,pfds,plastics,etc. Lasts along time also. Will make surface a little slick, use with care on areas where you want traction. Excellant salt water/sun protection.
I use it everything.

Proud member Kayak Fishing Association of NY
Supporting member NEKF
Supporting member of Team Jinx

#12 SG1

SG1
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted March 16 2009 - 7:30 AM

Where can I find 303? I checked two auto supplies and boaters world this weekend with no luck....

#13 Shipwreck

Shipwreck
  • Way too many!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,741 posts
  • LocationUp on Cripple Creek

Posted March 16 2009 - 7:33 AM

Fish Slime and Sedge Muck works well.

If you want to talk bout fishin then I guess that would be alright - L. Skynyrd

#14 bjb

bjb

• PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted March 18 2009 - 4:45 PM

Where can I find 303? I checked two auto supplies and boaters world this weekend with no luck....

Most marine supply stores carry it or google it.

Proud member Kayak Fishing Association of NY
Supporting member NEKF
Supporting member of Team Jinx

#15 In10ts

In10ts

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted April 07 2009 - 7:45 PM

sand eels barfed up by feeding bluefish works well too shipwreck hehe

seriously, good info here as I have a red kayak i bought last year and i can imagine me paddling the surf lookin all cool and manly in a pink one. im searchin for 303 this weekend