Beach driving in RI?

Rate this topic

TimS

OK, what's the scoop? I understand membership is a necessity - but where/when/how? I don't need to know where to drive on, I know where I wanna drive on - I just wanna do it legally smile.gif

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

A 4WD permit is issued by the Coastal Resources Management Council (CRMC) at the RANGER STATION in Burlingame State Park (Charlestown) off of Route 1.

The fee is $55, good through June 30. Rhody is unique in that in addition to the usual beach gear (jack, jack board, tire gauge, tow cable), you are REQUIRED to have a Coast-Guard approved fire extinguisher, road flares, and a Coast-Guard approved first aid kit.

Having said that, the rangers don't check for equipment. You just need your registration, and the number off of your current emissions sticker. For some weird reason, they take checks or money orders only...no cash.

With this sticker, you can access the West Jetty of Charlestown Breachway (via East Beach Road through the Ninigret parking lot) AND after 9/15, Misquamicut Beach (Westerly).

A note on the East Beach access road...it has got to be the softest sand I have ever driven on (softer than Cape Hatteras and the beach end of Sore Thumb combined). Fluffy powder sugar, air down to at least 15 psi.

There are a few entrances to Misquamicut...namely 1) Misquamicut State Park, 2) The Andrea Hotel parking lot, and 3) the western end of Atlantic Ave (even though it is marked private property it seems everyone ignores the signs). Note that there are multiple entrances to Misquamicut because portions are not passable during high tides. Also, with the sticker you can get within 1/3 of a mile of Watch Hill Light if you want to avoid the hassle of parking in town.

A warning about the Atlantic Ave. entrance...there are large stones and big slabs of concrete that are difficult to see after the entrance...WATCH OUT! I lost a tire b/c of one of dem slabs.

I say this b/c the folks on these beaches are very good about observing the night-time no-lights fishing etiquette when passing by (i.e., parking lights only).

Note that the sticker is a necessity, but not enough to get you into Quonnie. For Quonnie, you also need to be a property owner or a member of RIMS or be a member of UMS.

If I'm interpreting the regs correctly, the CRMC beach vehicle sticker is a statewide permit that allows access WHERE THE TOWNS permit it (or by default, don't expressly forbid it). There are a few towns that don't have any regs on the books, and you might be tempted to drive on their beaches, but as far as I know East Beach and Misquamicut are the two biggies. You'll get a list when you get the sticker.

A few other things...

*Bring your own air or plan to drive slowly on underinflated tires. No pump stations at the beach. Gas stations are your next best option.

*RI's state beaches are carry out what you carry in...no trash receptacles provided.

------------------

fww.gif

The Pause That Refreshes

[This message has been edited by fishweewee (edited 10-21-2002).]

Fishweewee covered it pretty good. A low pressure guage is a definite since as he pointed out , you better air way down or grt stuck trying to turn the corner passing through the dunes from Ninigret to east Beach.

The only legal beach access that comes with the permit is east beach and Misquamicut. be careful on East Beach as it often develops a lip about 2 feet high in the sand. You drive off that and you'll be hurting.

You also want to carry jumper cables just in case.

The beaches are patrolled by both Enviromnetal and regular Charlestown Police so stay off the dune grass which grows way down the beach in some areas and don't even think about trying to get away with driving on without the permit.

"Team Timmy"? cwm13.gif Now I've heard it allcwm24.gifwink.gif

OK, I'm gonna promptly join NJBBA - not to drive on Joisey sand, but to become affiliated with the UMS. Only I'm gonna need someone from NJBBA to "rush" my membership so I'm officially a member before I leave on Thursday....anyone? smile.gif

A 4WD permit is issued by the Coastal Resources Management Council (CRMC) at the RANGER STATION in Burlingame State Park (Charlestown) off of Route 1.

Anyone know what kinda hours these folks will issue the permits? I keep really strange hourswink.gif

Thanks for yer help folks, especially research-wee-wee HappyWave.gif

TimS

Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

Boldly going where no wee-wee has ever gone before... wink.giftongue.gif

Tim, the office is open seven days a week. Through the end of October, the permits will be issued from 8:30 a.m. until 3:30 p.m.

http://www.riparks.com/Info.htm

http://www.rhodeislandmobilesportfis...egulations.asp

------------------

fww.gif

The Pause That Refreshes

Note that the sticker is a necessity, but not enough to get you into Quonnie. For Quonnie, you also need to be a property owner or a member of RIMS or be a member of UMS.

i wouldn't count on the UMS membership being enough. the regulars are not happy to share with ANYONE. trust me and stick to the east side with all the other googans!

[This message has been edited by t.lapinski (edited 10-21-2002).]

i wouldn't count on the UMS membership being enough. the regulars are not happy to share with ANYONE. trust me and stick to the east side with all the other googans!

[This message has been edited by t.lapinski (edited 10-21-2002).]

Hey there! HappyWave.gif

Last I checked, membership in a UMS organization was honored. I'll check again just to be safe. Or, you can join RIMS. I hear it's a fine organization!

------------------

fww.gif

The Pause That Refreshes

actually, you can't join RIMS. we halted new membership as of last week.

and yes, technically ums membership is honored. but, when there are only 4 rocks to fish from, room to park three vehicles at the wall, and a member shows up to fish and finds some guy nobody knows taking up space, who is gonna feel comfortable?

actually, you can't join RIMS. we halted new membership as of last week.

and yes, technically ums membership is honored. but, when there are only 4 rocks to fish from, room to park three vehicles at the wall, and a member shows up to fish and finds some guy nobody knows taking up space, who is gonna feel comfortable?

And what if they "find" 4 guys nobody knows "taking up space"? Unless they can produce the title and deed to the land, I'm guessing their use of the land there offers them no more or less rights than anyone else - even folks from outta state - with the proper permits. Nice attitude smile.gif

For the record, I'll just pass this by the president of RIMS to see if this is the way they want their club to be publicly portrayed because you are not painting a very pretty picture of the club.

Googan? Loose the white rod and the holier than thou attitude then you can call me a googan. Til then, you don't know me well enough to call me a googan....you googan wink.gif

TimS

TL-

Sorry to hear that.

As great as Quonnie is, I love the fact that Rhody is so blessed with many great spots to fish that don't even require a 4WD permit. There's always another spot even when your favorite one is taken.

Truth be told, I don't spend that much time at Quonnie anyhoo, at least on the weekends. icon15.gif

I don't think you could fish them all in a lifetime! heart.gif

-WW

------------------

fww.gif

The Pause That Refreshes

For the record, I'll just pass this by the president of RIMS to see if this is the way they want their club to be publicly portrayed because you are not painting a very pretty picture of the club.

Googan? Loose the white rod and the holier than thou attitude then you can call me a googan. Til then, you don't know me well enough to call me a googan....you googan wink.gif

TimS

i'm not trying to portray the club in a poor way, just stating facts. it's a different world up here. hammer-time.gif

and how did you know i fish a white rod? wink.gif