Penn Peer No. 109

Rate this topic

Fun King

Reel dudes, this reel belongs to a friends dad. I realize he can get a brand new one for $50-60, but it apparently has some sentimental value. He asked me to try to "loosen it up". The reel does not have a free spool mechanism. The "free spool" lever is just an anti reverse. The handle spins backwards on the cast. But it doesn't cast, in fact it is so tight it won't release line with a ten oz weight. I opened it up and cleaned it, and put it back together, and it's worse. I tried every combination of stacking the discs and main gear, and I got it to work pretty good until I snug up the screws, then it binds again. There seems to be some wear inside the side plate. Maybe I am missing a bearing or something. It's pretty old, and I haven't found a diagram. Any ideas or suggestions?

Check for binding or bent bridge, the sleeve must turn freely and be in alignment w/ the spool shaft. Check that the worm is clean and the pawl is not binding. Check the tension on left side worm bearing. Check the slotted post is clean and straight and that the line guide is moving freely in it. Check that the worm drive train is not binding due to dirt or bent teeth. Finally check that all frame posts are straight. All parts should still be available, although the reel is discontinued.

Fun King,

You're missing two of your ht-100 drag washers, there is supposed to be three in addition to the three metal washers. You mention that the handle spins backwards when cast, does that happen when the clutch plunger is in free spool? If so, it shouldn't. Check the anti-reverse dog and spring.

Steve

Yes, I agree to a point. The handle spinning backwards, sounds like it is not going into freespool. I have a 165 which is similar but without the drags. The eccentric plunger basically functions as Handle on or off. If the handle spins backwards as the spool turns it is not disengaging, which leads me to believe the AR dog is not working the way it should.

Stevesmile.gif

This is a simple reel and should be easy to get working. As others mentioned, it does not have a free spool setting - just anti-reverse or no anti-reverse. Try assembling the reel with none of the levelwind parts installed and see what happens. I'm guessing something is up with the levelwind if you've already checked the bearing caps.

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies fellas, the 109 has no freespool function. The spool and handle spin when cast, it is a true knuckle buster ( direct drive) with drags. The clutch plunger engages the anti-reverse dog for the drags to function, otherwise the handle will spin backwards with the spool, if no tension is applied to the spool. This is an unusual set up for a Penn reel.

To get this reel to cast as best as possible, remove levelwind, worm and idler gear. Clean all the grease out of the gears, and everywhere else, except for where the eccentric meets up with the AR dog. Light oil on everything else. Put on a counterbalanced handle and let it fly. Oh, make sure you get your knuckles clear when that oversized handle comes around, or you are going to get hurt.

Stevesmile.gifsmile.gif