Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alan Hawk

Poll for EVERYONE: Which reel looks better?

116 posts in this topic

Back from abusing the Stella, and will take it apart and post a big review soon 40.gif For now though I need your help on something: Look at those 7 photos, then vote for which of those two reels (Daiwa Saltiga 6000 & Shimano Stella SW 20000) is better looking in your opinion. How a reel looks is of course highly subjective and differs from one to another. But we've been arguing over this for the past week too much that sometimes we forgot to fish tongue.gif So I decided to post a poll and see which one the majority thinks looks better.

Everyone please vote based solely on looks. Forget anything you know or heard about them or which you want to buy. Just which you think looks better.

1a.jpg

2a.jpg

3a.jpg

4a.jpg

5a.jpg

6a.jpg

7a.jpg

Cheers smile.gif

View Post

but then again looks mean nothing....

I know this my friend wink.gif Will post the 'meaningful' stuff soon and maybe help answer the eternal question of "Stella vs Saltiga", but for now I need just your choice for which looks better.

Please do not forget to vote even if you post a reply 40.gif

View PostI like the Saltiga better. I never liked the shiny, chrome and/or gold bling on the Shimanos.

Saltiga has 3 holes in the stem.

Appropriately, the 3 holes vary in diameter with respect to the changing front-to-rear dimension of the stem they perforate.

Spool is holed at bottom.

There is an escutcheon or cover plate on the reel body where the handle mates up to the drive gear.

That element appears to have holes or ball milled indentations.

All of these properly placed (on different reel parts) round hole accents serve to unify Saltiga's design.

Saltiga body has clean, continuous, flowing appearance.

Saltiga spool is beveled at the bottom.

This accent gives the spool a more fitted, better related look to the rotor which improves integration of the visuals.

The Stella has 3 round holes in each of the ovoids milled into the spool skirt.

These disparate shapes clash.

The asymmetry of the ovoids is a bit too organic.

The huge "chrome" cover over the backbone of the body and stem overpowers in terms of its prominence and flashiness.

The Stella's body sides have abrupt changes in their surface and some of those transitions are defined by straight lines; these discontinuities distract from visual flow

Overall, the Saltiga is better looking than the Stella.

Saltiga is subtler than flashy Stella.

View PostSACRILEGE!!

No, sacrilege is making fishing equipment resemble something behind the glass at Tiffany's so guys can ogle it like girls around an engagement ring.

I'm not joking, rustoleum epoxy spray paint, wouldn't even think twice about it.

tongue.gif

Of course the Saltiga looks better to me--I'm biased cwm27.gif

Looks to be about $150 cheaper, too wink.gif

Seriously--gold = "steal me".

I would like to see the Stella spool on the Saltiga body. cwm40.gif That way the 3-hole theme in the spool would match the 3-hole theme in the stem. Maybe swap the handles too. My vote is for a hybrid. biggrin.gif

Tweedle dum, tweedle dee. Need to compare them to a contrasting design like an Accurate Twin-Spin 30, available solid black, plain silver, mono-tone candy-apple red and who knows what other solid colors. Something for everyone from the stealth-black crowd to the exhibitionits.

Alan's already commented on the Accurate's [inadequate] innards in previous reviews, but this quiz is only about skin-deep beauty.

View Post^^^

Or what Lichum said! tongue.gif

(You must do something related to mechanical engineering & design)

Father is an ME who spent his career in Aerospace.

Mechanical Engineering is in my genes.

I'm a wannabe ME.

Learned the fundamentals of design when I studied Architecture.

Am self taught designer/machinist.

DESIGN IS ALL ABOUT LOOKING AND STUDYING.

SOMETIMES FOR HUNDREDS OF HOURS.

SHAPES.

PROPORTIONS.

RATIOS.

CONTOURS.\ nCONTINUITY.

HOW DO THEY RELATE?

HOW CAN THEY BE INTEGRATED INTO AN AESTHETICALLY PLEASING OBJECT?

A CREATION OF MAN.

THIS INTEGRATION IS THE TASK AND CURSE (though a pleasant one) OF THE DESIGNER.

Mies Van der Rohe : "LESS IS MORE."

Industrial Designer Raymond Loewy said a Design is Perfect when Nothing needs to be Added or Subtracted.