Trolling lure depth with mono

Rate this topic

Gethooked

a rough formula is [sin(A)](line out) where A is the angle in degrees the fishing line makes with the surface of the water. Sin is a function you can find on any scientific calculator. answer will be in the same units as your line out measure. The true depth will always be less than the answer due to bow in the line.

View Posta rough formula is [sin(A)](line out) where A is the angle in degrees the fishing line makes with the surface of the water. Sin is a function you can find on any scientific calculator. answer will be in the same units as your line out measure. The true depth will always be less than the answer due to bow in the line.

headscratch.gif

New Jersey King Crab

View PostHow do you figure out the depth of your lure for how much line you let out.

The best way is to find a cove with no current and a sandy bottom and experiment. You can feel the lure bumping the bottom and then you'll know. Make sure you're using the same line and the same lure. It's extremely important that you use your speed thru the water and NOT speed over the bottom. Your GPS will NOT give you speed thru the water and that's all that matters to lure depth. Make a chart for each combination and you'll KNOW where your lure is.

Ed Panzella

"BAITS MOTEL" - 2450 Maycraft Pilothouse

Higganum, Ct

View PostI normally use umbrella rigs for stripers. I want to be far enough back from the boat yet cover all the water column. I fish in water 40 to 90 feet.

Switch to braid or wire. You will get about 10ft of depth for every 100ft in the water.

"I just do what the voices in my tackle box tell me to do."

View PostI normally use umbrella rigs for stripers. I want to be far enough back from the boat yet cover all the water column. I fish in water 40 to 90 feet.

You are going to have a relatively hard time fishing an umbrella in 90' of water if you want it to move laterally and you aren't just jigging it. You'll need it to be really heavy if the boat is under power. THat makes it really easy to hang on the bottom till you figure it out, unless you are over sand. You could possibly pull one behind a downrigger ball using a downrigger. I would rig it on a 3 way with a heavy sinker on something like a 113 senator combo. Put a guess for a starting weight. Let the whole mess out behind the boat under power about 30 feet and look at the angle with the water the line wants to make at your trolling speed. Pull out a highschool geometry book and look up sine cosine and tangent and figure out how much line out for say 80 feet deep, and then mark the line with a sharpie. Adjust as per actual field experimentation. You'll run deep with the tide, and shallow against it.